Trying to think of a new routine

Apr 26, 2016
So, this is my first post on this forum, and I was wondering: What kind of routines does everyone do? I'm starting out into the world of street magic, and I've done shows regularly for about a month now, but is there any way to improve my routine? For example, what effects are strong crowd pleasers? What gimmicks would you recommend for a street show. Not looking for secrets, just some general input on good ideas for a routine. My current one is fine, I'm just looking to spice it up a little. Any thoughts?
I usually do:
1. Disappearing deck
2. Invisible deck
3. Basic sleights, forces, and controls for random card stuff
4. About 4 different levitations
5. Haunted Deck
6. Cut and Restored Rope
7. Sponge Balls
8. A small amount of mentalism
9. Ambitious Card
10. Pen Through Dollar
11. Svengali Deck
12. Neck Saw
13. Razor Blade and Thread
14. Warning by Kostya Kimlat (Wonderful opener)

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
Just off the top of my head, some great effects to have on you would be Pressure, ReCord, some rubber band tricks (e.g. Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Jumping Rubber Band), you should always have a thumb tip on you, and Angle Z.

Best of luck!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So let's learn some terminology:

Effect - What the audience sees as magic. Essentially, the effect that appears to have happened.

Method - The means of accomplishing an effect.

Trick - The difference between the effect and the method.

Presentation - What we say and do as we present an effect so that it is more than just a trick.

Routine - A coherent and interrelated series of effects involving one or more props. Doing a typical sponge ball routine is a routine because there is three phases each being a different effect (one multiplies to two, two multiplies to three, etc.). A three fly routine is a routine because there are three transpositions of the coins. Wildcard is a routine because there are multiple transfomations of a card. A routine can also involve multiple props - a silk can transform into a cane which can be used to make billiard balls appear out of an invisible purse. So for a routine you have multiple phases put together in a cohesive whole.

Set - A number (typically 3 to 5) of effects or routines performed in sequence, often with some connection between the presentations for each effect or routine. Typically used for restaurant or "street"magic.

Show - A number of routines and effects with developed presentation (typically between 5 to 10) that are performed in sequence.

Based on those definitions, you are not looking for routines, but sets. I would suggest that you also focus on developing strong presentation for the effects in your set, rather than just presenting tricks.

Apr 26, 2016
I've done a lot more research, and thank you for educating me on the terminology. I've been teaching myself magic for the most part, and I have no peers to discuss things with here, so input is much appreciated!

Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
It seems like you have your magic under control. I think you need to focus on the most important part of being a performer: YOU! You need to ask yourself "Who am I? When I go on stage what do I want the audience to see me as in the first five seconds of my show?"

This was some great advice I got from Bizzaro LIVE:h
Try to create a character or a persona, but there is a big difference between the two
Character: This is the person you become when you get on stage. This may not be who you are as a person, but who you are on stage. "Piff The Magic Dragon" is James van der Put's character.
Persona: This is how you act on stage. This is your personality when you perform. This may be how you are like on and off stage. David Copperfield has a persona on stage.

Just figure out who you are...

Hope this helps

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results