Underground Jam by Jay Sankey

Underground Jam

Menu: Simple, It says explanations and performances 10/10

Performances: The performances are done mostly around a small glass table by four people Jay, Joe Diamond, Eric leclerec, Jeff Stone and you get a good idea of the effect.

Explanations:The explanations are done by the same people and in random places. from a bathtuub, to a parking lot, to a staircase, to the floor, and a bedroom. Some explanations are a little rushed, but most of them are good. 9/10

Price: $19 FOR 20 effects. 20/10!!
Tricks

Here are some of the tricks in this DVD. There are 20 effects total. I'll try and review most of them.

Uniquely: a corner of a card and a signed coin switch places. This is really cool and simple. No gimmicks and 2 seeconds of set-up.10/10

Razor Burn: I haven't tried it yet but this seem like the coolest trick on the DVD. A razor(the ones that u shave with) turns into a book of matches.10/10

Jacked-up: A color changing Jacks when you produce them out of the deck. Its a good way of producing any 4 of a kind and i dont use the color changing part of this effect.9/10

Dream Vacations: You make a signed coin vanish and make it reapear in a film canister. Almost impromptu. your goin to have to have a peso to do this trick and i have no idea where to get a peso. So 8/10

Straight from the Heart: You make an item rise out of your front jacket pocket. On the back of the DVD it says that this is practical. I completely disagree. This is the worst trick on the DVD. This is so gimmicked it's not even funny. Also you can only do it with a certain type of jacket. You have to make your own gimmick which is going to be a pain in the bum. This is like getting the Raven DVD without actually getting the Raven. If the gimmick came with the DVD or was sold seperately then it would have been better but this is crazy. If you have the time to make this gimmick and would use it then it would be good. 6/10

Shy guys: a twisting the aces routine which is very visual. It requires a small card gimmick which you could make yourself and it only uses 4 cards. Very nice card effect. 10/10

Magi: A cool little sandwich effect which is easy and fun. I'm a person that likes sandwiches so i loved it. 10/10

Great Scott: a signed card ends up under your watch. Pretty good but i dont wear a watch. 8/10

Final Cap in Bottle: Finally a CIB that i'll use. there are 2 versions of this trick which is the magician versioin and the lay peoples version. NO GIMMICKS is what i love about this. Doesn't cost you anything to perform and only uses ONE CAP!!!!! It doesn't get much better than this in CIB's. 10/10!!!

T-Bone: A really easy torn and restored card. Strictly for laypeople ONLY! 9/10

Super Sharped: Take a coin and vanish it then take the sharpie and the coin pops out of the cap. Then when you take show the dime it doesn't fit into the cap. Impromptu and easy. 8/10

I.L.U.S system: I love unnoriginal spectators. For example let's say the spectator says make my wife dissapear. you let them pick a card and give tehm a envelope. The card will say" the man who picked who said make my wife dissapear will pick the___(there chosen card). Very clever and original and funny.7/10

This and that: basically 8 card brainwave, but with cards that sya this and that on it. Nothing new.7/10

Visa Card: a prediciton effect with a easy method. It's clever. I need to buy me one of those blank decks.8/10

The Coolest Ace trick in the World: Very,very nice. I used this more than I thought I would. I was about to get Murcury by David Kong, but this replaced it. So much cooler. 10/10

50:50: It's OK. Well it's not really worth the practice. There are better coin routines out there and this doesn't really float my boat so 6.5/10

King-Side Castling: Umm. I don't have the gimmicked cards for this And it will cost you about 10 dollars for everything if you buy it on Penguin. All four kings turn blank except for the magicians favorite card. One if the cards even turn blank under the spectators hand. It's alright. It would get some pretty good reactions. Oh, and thanks Jeff for calling Chess geeky 7/10

Key-Oh-Nee Buh-lo Nee: First off thanks for the really long name Jeff. It's pretty cool. You need to be wearing a button-up shirt. You show your key chain which contatins the key to your car,office, and MANSION.Take the mansion key off and let the specatator hold the keychain. Vanish the key and it appears back in the spectators hand. 7.5/10

Solo: Basically, this trick is all presentation. A wrongly chosen card changes into to the right card in the spectators hand. It's nice and Jay has a cool presentation. 7/10

Loose Ink: A selected card switches places with a blank card. The performance is hilarious because Joe says rub on the card to make sure the ink doesn't come off or anything. And Jay Sankey rubs it on his privates. The trick is good. Simple and happens in the spectators hand. 8/10

There are other effects that are pretty good that i don't have time for reviewing. Highly reccommended !!!because it 20 effects for $19. Overall 10/10 because you get some really great effects and nothing on here is complete garbage. Also, you get to see Sankey climbing a wall and getting shorter. Once again he's hilarious. 10/10 DVD!

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Good review

This is a pretty good DVD, though I feel some of your ratings are a bit too high but then we all like different things.

The CIB is really good though ;)

Sep 2, 2007
Who's Jay Saney?

I believe he is referring to Jay Sankey. :D

Underground Jam has several extremely hard-hitting effects, and the DVD is over two hours long. It's very powerful, and Jay Sankey is a creative genius.

Great review. :)

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
UK
What ratings did you think were too high?

Ok, well I do agree with some of your ratings, but here are the ones that in MY opinion (stressing the word my lol) were too highly rated.

Uniquely: a corner of a card and a signed coin switch places. This is really cool and simple. No gimmicks and 2 seeconds of set-up.10/10

Whoa... 10/10... I really don't think it's of that level at all. It's an ok effect that is, as you said, simple to do, but it's really not that impressive.
The handling looks a bit weak in places and overall gives a not very magical effect.

I can't give ratings as I have some problems that stop me from doing so without consequences, but I would def say to knock off 4-5 points from your score.

Jacked-up: A color changing Jacks when you produce them out of the deck. Its a good way of producing any 4 of a kind and i dont use the color changing part of this effect.9/10

Now I think this effect is actually pretty good, but no 9/10...
I'd say knock off a couple of points.

Dream Vacations: You make a signed coin vanish and make it reapear in a film canister. Almost impromptu. your goin to have to have a peso to do this trick and i have no idea where to get a peso. So 8/10

I really didn't like this either, it's just a weak effect overall and there are far better effects in this style.
Def knock off 3-4 points in my opinion.

Great Scott: a signed card ends up under your watch. Pretty good but i dont wear a watch. 8/10

Nooooo... as a stand alone effect this is not very good in my opinion. As part of a card under watch routine it would be a nice phase, but def a couple of points below what you've put.

T-Bone: A really easy torn and restored card. Strictly for laypeople ONLY! 9/10

Yes it's very easy, and def only for laypeople... but I would say it's rated 2 points or so too high as it's not really anything special.

The Coolest Ace trick in the World: Very,very nice. I used this more than I thought I would. I was about to get Murcury by David Kong, but this replaced it. So much cooler. 10/10

I didn't like this at all... maybe it was just the boredom from watching it's creator, but I just can't seem to bring myself to like this effect.
Way below your rating for me.

There are other things like Magi which I felt you over rated... but then it's all personal opinion and im sure they'll be many who agree with you and the same with me.

I do agree with quite a few of your ratings also... well maybe not 10's but still rated highly by me.
The cap in bottle is great, Shy Guys fantastic and Razor Burn excellent.

I gave T-bone a high rating because if I were to do a torn and restored card it would be that. I got some pretty good reactions.

Dream Vacation is avtually a strong effect because everyonen is holding on to your wrist and it dissapears right under everyones noses.

Uniquely is just amazing to me. So to the point.

I think I did overaelte great Scott.

The coolest Ace trick in the Word is just my favorite Aces to Kings routine ever. It's really my style. It's something I perform regularly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results