Underrated Mentalism Books

Mar 9, 2021
Hello everyone! I was always interested when people talked about very old and not-so-well-known mentalism books. A book like Practical Mental Magic, is very popular, but it is not underrated, as most mentalism magicians know of this book. One of my favourite books is 777 by RedDevil. This book has a lot of mentalism gems, and it has my favourite effect in it. This book is written in a different way(Performance in spectators' eyes: Prep: Method) to other mentalism books(effect: method). Although this book is not only focused on mentalism, you can adapt these effects very easily into your own routines. This book also helped me a lot when I was trying to understand equivoque/magician's choice. Another book I like is called PROTEUS. It is a single effect in a book. This book is really good for people who prefer propless mentalism. I however, did not like this book so much after I found out the method. The method was not as viable as it seems, and it cannot be performed anywhere.

Reply your favourite underrated mentalism books below!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The Memory Arts by the Trustmans was good. In my opinion one of the absolute best offerings for memorizing decks.

I'm not sure if Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jacquin would count as underrated since it was pretty popular when it was released - but I don't see much reference to it these days and I do think it's probably the most comprehensive introduction to hypnosis for entertainment purposes.

Not specifically mentalism, but The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook is very good, and again not one I see mentioned very often (other than by me).

Psychophysiological Thought Reading is a good source for CMR and, again, I don't see it referenced often. Full Contact Mind Reading is far more comprehensive, but honestly I could see that one being overwhelming for a lot of people. Banachek's book gets right to the point and covers all the important bits.

One that's a bit obscure is The Monographs by Ben Cardall. That's mostly about how to observe and deduce in order to read people. Ben's one of the few guys out there doing it mostly for real.

Switchcraft by Elliot Bresler is the only billet switching book anyone ever needs to buy. I don't know if I'd consider this to be underappreciated in that anyone that owns it knows it's amazing, but again - I don't see it mentioned nearly as often as it should be.

Bob Cassidy's books, The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy volumes 1 and 2, are excellent. Once more, not sure if I'd consider them underappreciated, but far too few people who claim to be mentalists have properly digested his works.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results