Unique Performance Story / Random Question

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hey everyone have a little story to share and then a question afterward thats completely random.

I have been studying sign language in school for 2 years now. Recently i have had the opportunity to attend some deaf social gatherings and participate. Well i am by no means proficient, i get along all right. Upon arriving i spent some time mingling, introducing myself and just participating, however, i had made the decision previously to try and display a little something about myself as well. After things started to calm down i moved to a slighty more spacious area in the crowd and brought a deck out. I started a little flourishing and almost instantly i could feel eyes on me. Evidently in a crowd focusing on hands, flourishing attracts attention very quickly. It wasn't long till several people approached me. After a short introduction and a request for most of them to slow down so i could keep up i told them about myself and my hobby. I launched into a short routine and the response was amazing. As you can imagine trying to include patter with your hands while performing was very difficult so i choose some highly visual effects that required minimum patter and signed best i could in between. While the magic was greatly recieved, the flourishing was absolutely adored! Several people were absolutely intrigued and i was inundated with questions about it and requests for more. It seem's that it was unique and generally unknown artform that greatly mirrored their own forms of visual, manual arts. While the flourishing was a hit, let me tell you, you haven't had your hands burned until you have people who focus on nothing but hands watching you. They cut me no slack and called me on a few things. I learned quick what sleights worked and what didn't. Anyways i guess the point of this story was about how our art can transcend cultural and language barriers and such. It was truly a unique and interesting experience and ive been invited back anytime and i fully intend to return.

now for the random question.
awhile back there was a video in the media section. i have been trying to do some research on it with the resources i possess with no luck so i thought id ask. the link is here and my questions are as follows. First, im looking for a resource, just a resource, for whatever move is used to switch out those kings. For the life of me i cannot figure out how it was done. I am not fishing for a method, not even the name of the method (you can give it if you want, i wont complain) but all im hoping for is a book or dvd that would possess the move so i can look in the proper place. Sorry if that offends. Second, the move where he sets the "joker" and flicks them onto the table. I have seen the move in several vids, and i am looking for a resource on maintaining the cards together as one. I know Dan and Dave teach a spinning version of this but im looking for a straight one like the vid. any help on either of these would be appreciated and as i said im just looking for a resource location not fishing. thanks alot in advance.

Sep 1, 2007
Great story. It's actually quite interesting that the flourishing wow-ed them most, and it makes perfect sense. Its not something I would have thought of, but now that you mention it, its actually really cool.

The second thing you're asking for is a move I've generally seen used in sandwhich effects, however can be used to put any double on the table. I'm not sure where it was originated, however I believe (?) that Justin Miller taught it somewhere at some point on some DVD... I know, I'm helpfull.

The first part that youre asking for is actually extremely simple. It's a widely used method, but if you really want to figure it out, check out Henry Evan's monte routine. I'm sure you can find what you need there.

Cheers,
Lucas

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ah, that's really interesting. I love the thought that for these guys, observing hand movements would be such a big part of their lives, so to see something like card manipulation...

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Well, the first thing, with the Kings... It's not really a switch, but a principle in magic.
And the second thing, it is done exactly how it looks, but David Stone teaches it in his Real Secrets of Magic vol.1, in his version of Invisible Palm.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Well, the first thing, with the Kings... It's not really a switch, but a principle in magic.
And the second thing, it is done exactly how it looks, but David Stone teaches it in his Real Secrets of Magic vol.1, in his version of Invisible Palm.

im not sure i understand what you mean by principle. When i think principles i think misdirection, direction, sleight vs self working, lapping or hold outs, even proper editing etc.... but this doesn't seem to have anything sneaky about it. The only idea i could think of was something similar to 5speed but that seemed unlikely and cumbersome. Any more info on the "principle" or are you trying to say its found in almost any magic book and im being retarded haha.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
im not sure i understand what you mean by principle. When i think principles i think misdirection, direction, sleight vs self working, lapping or hold outs, even proper editing etc.... but this doesn't seem to have anything sneaky about it. The only idea i could think of was something similar to 5speed but that seemed unlikely and cumbersome. Any more info on the "principle" or are you trying to say its found in almost any magic book and im being retarded haha.

Haha, I in no way imply that you are retarded, lol. On contrary... ;)

Yeah, similar to 5 speed, just look closer ;)
Oh, and btw, I don't know the actual method, that is just my observation. Maybe wanna continue this in PM :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results