Universal Impression - Robert Smith

Nov 8, 2007
Is anybody using this?

I got mine in today, and right now I'm really not impressed. The impressions usually don't show up at all. There's no way I'd use this in a real performance--it's completely unreliable. Anyone using this with success? If so, I'd greatly appreciate a PM.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Have you watched the DVD? He goes over that particular problem in it.

I use it. Not a ton, because I don't have many opportunities, but I've found it works well once you learn how to use it.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I use it in all my performances, as my closer, and it's very powerful-the only routine my spectators talk about, EXCEPT my GIMMICK hasn't been working well, and whether I clean it up with the m* it looks foggy and dirty. Also, I dont get the info. that well, despite how close I write on the UI GIMMICK wth the Mar*** GIMMICK.

Nov 8, 2007
Have you watched the DVD? He goes over that particular problem in it.

I use it. Not a ton, because I don't have many opportunities, but I've found it works well once you learn how to use it.

Yeah, I watched it twice because I thought I missed something. Didn't see anything about troubleshooting. Right from the start the teaching on the DVD seems to pretty much assume it works perfectly. And it doesn't. At all. It's awful. I'm a pretty smart buyer when it comes to magic and always do my research; and it's been several years since I was this disappointed with something I bought.

Is the m*g***t that's used to clear the UI devicce supposed to come with the UI package? Because all of a sudden he mentions needing one and using one but it didn't come with the package. (Not that it matters all that much since the thing doesn't work anyhow.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fear not Mat....when I recieved mine about two years ago I thought the same thing, I now sometimes travel working the Papercrane booth at conventions and I perform UI about every ten minutes and it's one of our best sellers. Once you learn how to use it you won't leave your house without I guarantee it, I never do.

PM me with your set-up and your approach to using the device and I'll see what I can do to get you moving forward.

Shane

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks, Shane.

Hope you can make a believer out of me because right now I'm really disappointed with this thing because even trying to use it on a basic level, it still doesn't work.

PM'd you.

May 3, 2008
I actually just received this a few days ago and there's something that's bothering me. Won't the spectator's notice the gimmick when they handle it?

Nov 8, 2007
I actually just received this a few days ago and there's something that's bothering me. Won't the spectator's notice the gimmick when they handle it?

That's why you conceal it in something. Smith goes over this pretty extensively on the DVD.

My problem is that while the thinking behind it is great, the execution--not so much.

Papercrane said they were sending me a new m****r as that may be the reason mine isn't working the way it's supposed to, but I'm still really skeptical about the quality of this thing. Right now I would rather just have my $50 back. :(

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I personally have no real opinions either way on it. I mean fir me it is a very much love hate kind of deal. I love the impressions you get from it but I find it is more trouble than it is worth. I mean to hide it in a pad it is a fairly decent task and you need the pad the marker and the reset gimmick. I personally find this to be a little too much for my liking. I now only use the Tommy Pad and the Butterfly depending what I feel like on the day. I cannot recommend the Tommy Pad high enough.

May 3, 2008
That's why you conceal it in something. Smith goes over this pretty extensively on the DVD.

My problem is that while the thinking behind it is great, the execution--not so much.

Papercrane said they were sending me a new m****r as that may be the reason mine isn't working the way it's supposed to, but I'm still really skeptical about the quality of this thing. Right now I would rather just have my $50 back. :(

No I mean the pen, not the pad.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Well what if they actually look at it a bit or notice it doesn't write too well?

I've NEVER had a problem with the pen. Also, it's VERY common for when a pen doesn't write to well, people tend to try different sides of the pen, and try to trace over what they previously written. Also, the more the m****t is exposed in the pen, and even if it doesn't write to well, you get the impression perfectly, and the spectator is none the wiser.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results