Using Magic as an ice breaker

Oct 9, 2015
Colorado
Does anyone else think magic tricks like this one :
. Should be used as a way out of having too ask for a phone number , would it look bad if you used an effect like this , like magic shouldnt be used as a way out of talking too someone. Only a way through.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Yea, magic let's you communicate with people a ton!

And I'm not saying you should, but I have seriously thought about using magic as a way to not talk to someone, but found other ways around it xD

Oct 9, 2015
Colorado
Yea, magic let's you communicate with people a ton!

And I'm not saying you should, but I have seriously thought about using magic as a way to not talk to someone, but found other ways around it xD
Yeah i totally think it should be used as an icebreaker , just dont do magic tricks like this one as a way around having too talk to someone because youre too insecure

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Yeah i totally think it should be used as an icebreaker , just dont do magic tricks like this one as a way around having too talk to someone because youre too insecure
Yeah, especially not this one xD

Let me rephrase what I meant:
Sometimes you reach a suuuuuper awkward point in a conversation right? I think it is absolutely possible to use magic as an out.

Reactions: Ejwhite25

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
My personal opinion is that magic (or anything else, really) should never be a substitute for a personality.

It really isn't hard to learn to talk to people. And here's the crazy part - if one takes the time to learn those social skills, their magic gets significantly better.

People who use magic to start, maintain, and end conversations are seen as one-dimensional. Magic is all they are to others - so if someone doesn't want to see a magic trick or talk about magic, they don't want to talk to that person. I've had a few friends like this, where I have to decide before I contact them if I'm ready for an hour long monologue on the inner workings of the newest gimmick they're making or routine they're practicing for their show. It's not that I don't care, it's that I have interests other than magic, too.

So my response to "What trick should I use to start conversations/ask this girl out/propose/etc?" is "Don't. Just talk to them like a normal person so they realize you're not a caricature."

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
My personal opinion is that magic (or anything else, really) should never be a substitute for a personality.

It really isn't hard to learn to talk to people. And here's the crazy part - if one takes the time to learn those social skills, their magic gets significantly better.

People who use magic to start, maintain, and end conversations are seen as one-dimensional. Magic is all they are to others - so if someone doesn't want to see a magic trick or talk about magic, they don't want to talk to that person. I've had a few friends like this, where I have to decide before I contact them if I'm ready for an hour long monologue on the inner workings of the newest gimmick they're making or routine they're practicing for their show. It's not that I don't care, it's that I have interests other than magic, too.

So my response to "What trick should I use to start conversations/ask this girl out/propose/etc?" is "Don't. Just talk to them like a normal person so they realize you're not a caricature."
I always try and start a conversation with someone before I do any magic. However, If I'm already doing a performance, I might perform to someone before talking to them. I've made a ton of friends this way.

But I agree, especially if you're one of the people who have a "self" persona and a "magic persona". Then it'll be really weird switching personalities midway through.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results