Vacation to Hollywood, What to see? Want to Jam?

Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys my dad is going for work in the next upcoming weeks and the chances of me taking a trip out there are 90% I wanted to know what to see, I know the magic castle, but I don't know the rules for that specifically, such as price if one at all, I know attire is formal, i'm 16 years of age and I don't know if I need to be with an adult or if i'm even allowed in. What good magic shops are there around the area? and last but not least, any magicians or cardists from around those parts want to jam and perform some? I'll most likely be there for a week so please help out some and comment!

I don't want to dash your hopes or anything but the Castle is 21 and over. It's also invite only. You maybe able to do the Sunday brunch though. That's a possibility. I know they let minors in on the brunches. I don't know if you need reservations for that... Maybe call them ahead of time and find out?

As for things to do:
Universal Studios
Disneyland
Museum of Death
Ripplies Believe it or Not Museum
Madam Tussauds was museum
Venice Beach Freakshow
Magicopolis in Santa Monica
Magic Apple on Ventura blvd in Sherman Oaks

That should keep you busy for a few days.

Aug 25, 2012
Well that's a tad depressing.. That is like the one place I was looking forward to going to but there is always hope in the future, the magic apple sounds quite interesting. I have been to a ripplies believe it or not museum and I loved it, but there is one here close to Dallas, I have done Disneyland and Universal but the rest sound awesome! Thank you for the help!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You can go to the Brunch, but that's it. One of the younger guys in my magic club went when we was 17 I believe.

You will need a pass, though. You can get those from existing members.

Jul 22, 2013
California
The Magic Castle has the brunches, and I would go to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre to check out the celebrity handprints! Also, shows at the Pantages theatre are always fun to go to.

Apr 17, 2013
They do sell a temp pass that is a tad bit cheaper than the $500 for the year but it is still over $100 the last I checked. Ask at the local ring/assembly to see if there are any members who could guest you in for the Sunday thing. Also check their website for the dress code which was updated about a month ago. They are very strict with the dress code.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
You can go to the Brunch, but that's it. One of the younger guys in my magic club went when we was 17 I believe.

You will need a pass, though. You can get those from existing members.

If you have a video and resume of your work you could drop it off in hope of becoming part of the Jr Castle Group if it's still going. I Diana Zimmerman used to be in charge of that I have no clue who runs things now days.

The area has changed significantly since I lived there but I'd imagine spending time in Santa Monica (along the beach) would give you contact with sidewalk buskers and of course the city is surrounded by malls. . . Knott's Berry Farm, near Disneyland usually has some top notch performers as does Magic Mountain, which is set a bit outside of L.A. county and hosts some of the best roller-coasters in the states! I know they used to host big name magic acts on a seasonal basis as well.

I may be worth dropping an eMail to the Castle and tell them when you'll be out that way, they will know of other functions and shows that you could catch.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results