Various finishes from the USPCC

Oct 13, 2008
This probably has been discussed before, but just bear with me...

So far I've been told of four different finishes to the playing cards: Air cushion (most common), Linoid, Cambric, and Smooth. The first three IMHO feel quite similar to one another and all have a grid of pit marks (the "air cushion" bubbles for lack of a better term) on them, so I'll just lump them into "common" finish (at the risk of being called a Philistine in the process).

Now, smooth finish is VASTLY different. For starters, cards with that finish do not have any pit marks and the surface is/feels more uniform. Examples include Aladdins, Arrcos (not that I'd know about THOSE two), Streamlines and Aviator decks. And whenever I go to a gas station convenience store, the deck that is being sold is typically Aviator.

So I wonder... from a non-magic/flourishing perspective, what is the purpose of the distinction between the "common" finish and the "smooth" finish on cards? Perhaps it was discovered the smooth finish cards repelled moisture better (one can assert), making it more suitable for the truckers who frequently stop by to get a few decks to use; or maybe the smooth finish was the first type to be made only to be superseded by the "common" finish, with the Aviators being a remnant from their earlier times? I have no idea.

What are your theories on this?

-Sean

Nov 27, 2009
My guess, just from observation, is that the smooth finish is easier to apply, therefore cheaper. I don't know, but that could be part of it.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
My guess is that that smooth finish is cheaper in some way (either to apply or to produce). And don't forget about Ellusionist's "Performance Coating."

There are quite a few effects that can be done using a combination of Cambric and Ivory finished cards. Many are not commonly performed today because of limited access to a deck of cards with the same back design is differing finishes. I'd recommend the new Erdnase cards from Conjuring Arts for these. Use your imagination and you'll rediscover the possibilities!

Nov 9, 2010
My guess is that that smooth finish is cheaper in some way (either to apply or to produce). And don't forget about Ellusionist's "Performance Coating."

... and the 'Magic Finish'.

These are one and the same. The finish was developed through E and USPCC working for six months on a better finish for decks with metallic colors, E calls it Performance Coating and USPCC refers to it as the "Magic Finish".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results