Venus Trap - by Chris Brown

Official description:
Imagine being able to show a single card and invisibly switch it for another. This is just one of the many applications you'll acquire with the Venus Trap. "It's everything a double lift can accomplish, and more...with only a single card."

Cost $8.00 USD ($9.50 AUD for me)
Runtime 19:44

Not often soe a move come along and change the way you do and think about a lot of your tricks.

The quality is the standard high DnD quality and Chris is extremly concise and clear with everything he says. He misses nothing out. It is all shot over the shoulder so you can see everything exactly how you'll see it in your hands.

The basic handling is broken into 3 steps the first 2 being the left hand and right hand positions/moves and the final step executing the final sleight with both hands. This move immeditetly reminded me of Chris Kenners for 4 for 4 switch (which is also awesome http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#artist:4/page:3/sort:release/video:10 ) which he credits as his inspiration for the move.

He then teaches 2 conrtols using the sleight which the first will become my "goto" control when i have the move down smooth enough. It's shown on the preview, it just looks super clean - it really just looks like you're placing the top half of the deck on the selection and that's it, it's controled to the top. (I'm looking forward to messing with some friends next time they brag about the speed of their passes :p The second control is just a little more flourishy but basically the same.

He show's a cool vanish you can do using the move, it looks cool and I already have a few ideas for it.

Lastly he shows probably the most open version of "The Stranger Card" I've ever seen using the move. You still need a double backer for the effect - like most versions of the effect. But with this handling you literally pick up the card from the table and place it face up on the deck and that's it. No placing it down and picking it back up, just place it face up.

The basic move is a little knacky and I'm even a little sore from practising it. As basic as the move is, I'd still rate it as intermediate difficulty. Personally I think it's not as hard as the clipshift but will take near the amount of practice to get it fluid. (Mechanically I find the clipshift easy but bloody hard to to well if that makes sense.)

To conclude, get this. It's that simple. 20 minutes of detailed instruction for under $10. what you get for it is:

-a double lift replacement/alternative
-a KILLER control plus a variation
-a cool vanish
-and a streamlined handling of an old effect that you will use

You can find the page for this awesome "On Demand" Here:
http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap-chris-brown.html

Feel free to post any questions, comments or feedback.

Thanks for reading.

~Jesse

Nice review. I would edit the part about the 4 for 4 switch out thought because it seems like exposure.

Thanks for the nice comment. I don't believe it's exposure, the move's are still extremly different even though they're simillar. Finger positions, angles, motivation and the overall sleight is quite different to the 4 for 4. I'd have thought the name "Venus Trap" would be more exposure than the 4 for 4 reference.

If more people believe it's exposure I will edit.

Jun 3, 2008
Thanks for the review, I like the idea of this effect, hey that means you live in Australia, same, Brisbane, you? :p

Cheers,

Nick

The way i see for the "exposure" line isn't really exposure, because (i don't own the video but) you need to know more than what is in the Theory11 video to effectively pull it off. That and Chris himself credits Kenner in the description.

Sep 1, 2007
What does SA stand for? Also that was a very fine review. Not many products market themselves as the next double lift.

EDIT: South Australia huh? Not that difficult to work out ey? Yeah well who asked you?!

Oh.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
What are the angles like on this? Could I do it in front of a classroom(just as an example?). People on either side of me? People behind me?

If done well enough, the angles are from 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock. Basically, everyone in front of you all the way to your right, the move will be invisible. it is more then enough cover for close-up, walk around magic.

It took me an hour or so to perfect it.

Jun 22, 2009
The angels dont suck actually. its not to hard to get a 90* degree angle on your spectators. Not to mention if you are good at replacement then you have a full 180* angle option.

Mar 8, 2010
Believe it or not, with the right grip this move can be done 360.

Thanks for taking the time to review this friend.

persist&endure,
Chris

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results