Video downloads vs. Books

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For me, books, all the way. I 100% would rather read a book than watch a video.

But that's me. Videos have their place - particularly when wanting to see the sleight or routine in a "real time" environment, and seeing how the performer handles the performance of it. I do think they tend to contribute significantly to the copycat culture magic has, but they can't be blamed entirely for that.

The most balanced and complete way to learn is a mixture of both books and video, of course.

Sep 9, 2017
To give a beginners view. I find videos easier though I've been a book reader all my life so it's not that I'm not used to reading.
But I'm pretty sure books would be a better source as well though it takes a lot more time and study, but books always give much more information and detail. I reckon once I get better I would switch to taking my tricks from books instead of videos more.

Videos have really helped get me started and got me interested in the first place.

But as Christopher says it's nice to be able to see how someone else handles the performance. But I can see why books are definitely preferred.
And I personally would also say that a combination would be best as well because why would you not use the sources available to you in this age.

From a real magician's perspective which I am not I can completely understand the opposition against magic being spread the way it is now though. But then again I think there might be more interest among younger generations now.. then there ever was before and this could only advance the art no ? or mutilate it I guess if you wanna look it at like that :p

Reactions: ArielB.
Apr 9, 2016
Both please. :).

It's no secret I love my ever-growing book collection and the hundred+ years' wealth of knowledge within.

I also love my videos and often reference them, particularly and especially with newer releases which I'll grab occasionally. I have a large library of videos as well.

I would say books, but only in that prepper/no power/in a tent/travelling sort of context anymore. Books require no power and no gear to make full use of them.

Otherwise, I'd say anymore they compliment each other in many ways which I make use of. Giobbi recognized this when he did the DVD series to compliment his Card College series books, and many who've done videos to compliment "classic" books written by others (Royal Road, etc).

TL/DR: Books, because they need no electricity and go anywhere. :)

Jul 17, 2015
I always find this topic to be interesting, so thank you for everyones input. I'm a visual learner and the videos have been very helpful to see the mechanics vs. reading through a couple of pages.
But it was the books that I've accumulated the last 3 years that has really helped me reach a new level not only in skills, but having that solid foundation of theory and history. Which I believe can really accelerate you above your peers.

Besides..
The way I see it. The books are a way to connect with some of the greatest originals (OG's) that has given so much to magic. Just the idea of being mentored by Ed Marlo / The Professor Dai Vernon / Slydini / John Scarne / Tommy Wonder / Larry Jennings /Harry Lorayne /David Roth / J.B BoBo just to name a few, should excite anyone who wants to look to improve in their magic

Even though some classic books are harder to read than others. What a lot of upcoming magicians don't realize... The best kept secrets. Are in the pages.

Apr 9, 2016
But it was the books that I've accumulated the last 3 years that has really helped me reach a new level not only in skills, but having that solid foundation of theory and history. Which I believe can really accelerate you above your peers.

What a lot of upcoming magicians don't realize... The best kept secrets. Are in the pages.

^^^^
This.

I still remember at 9 years old getting the Encyclopedia of Magic and it was like finding the secrets of the universe, better than any sugar rush! :). Same with reading the Complete Works of Alex Elmsley 1&2 many years later, so many little beauties in there surprised me. So many books, so little time. (...speaking of that, anyone known when Magic Inc. is finally going to produce the 3rd Marlo book?? :))

Indeed, books are where the best kept secrets are found, well said.

Reactions: RealityOne
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I like a good balance. Books have more info, and allow a broader range of thinking. However, videos specialize in a subject making it easier to understand.

(...speaking of that, anyone known when Magic Inc. is finally going to produce the 3rd Marlo book?? :))

Indeed, books are where the best kept secrets are found, well said.
Which one? I thought they already released the third...? Unless im thinking of another one. (Marlo books are amazing btw. Working through RCT rn and it is fantastic!).

Jul 17, 2015
I like a good balance. Books have more info, and allow a broader range of thinking. However, videos specialize in a subject making it easier to understand.

Which one? I thought they already released the third...? Unless im thinking of another one. (Marlo books are amazing btw. Working through RCT rn and it is fantastic!).
Revolutionary Card Technique, I believe is a must! I personally have Cardially Yours and Arcade Dreams, Revolutionary Card Technique. I didn't know they published a new one by Ed Marlo?

Reactions: FunkyBottoms
Apr 9, 2016

Negative. :( Magic Inc produced two books to date in the "Marlo Trilogy"; 'Revolutionary Card Magic' was Vol I, and 'Cardially Yours was Vol II. Magic Inc always referred to these books as such, indicating a Vol III would be forthcoming.

There were rumors that John Raichenbach (sp?) was on board to do the editing and it would be the third book in the trilogy, called "Marlo Light".

That had to have been nearly a decade ago and I still can't find any "Vol III" for that trilogy, so I believe it either got dropped due to lack of interest (i.e. sales forecast), or it is still in the works this many years later. I believe Vol III of MINT was also dropped for the same reasons, but I'd sure like em to finish it, I love MINT 1 & 2.

I have a great deal of additional Mario's works in individual book(let) form, but there is SO much from Marlo I was hoping the last book in the trilogy from Magic Inc. would contain some beauts I don't have, and just to finish the trilogy and close the book, pun intended. :)

Anyhow, I am sorry I took this thread in a new direction, my apologies to OP. We now return Tonto your regularly scheduled question: Books or Videos? :)

Apr 9, 2016
Revolutionary Card Technique, I believe is a must! I personally have Cardially Yours and Arcade Dreams, Revolutionary Card Technique. I didn't know they published a new one by Ed Marlo?

Indeed, you've got the first two of the unfinished trilogy. RCT is indeed an almost perfect (IMHO) standalone compendium of Mario's work. Well rounded selection of his material from a veritable ocean of material to choose from.

If I were stranded on an island, it would be one of the books I'd want....along with a nearly endless supply of DRY bricks of Richard Turner Gold Seals. ;)

Jul 17, 2015
Indeed, you've got the first two of the unfinished trilogy. RCT is indeed an almost perfect (IMHO) standalone compendium of Mario's work. Well rounded selection of his material from a veritable ocean of material to choose from.

If I were stranded on an island, it would be one of the books I'd want....along with a nearly endless supply of DRY bricks of Richard Turner Gold Seals. ;)
HAHAHA! Very proper of quoting Bill on that one! You prefer the gold seals? I only use them for table and poker demonstrations because they are very durable and last for hours during heavy sleights and manipulations. I just wish it didn't have that seal covering the back. But the man is a legend.

Reactions: FunkyBottoms
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Negative. :( Magic Inc produced two books to date in the "Marlo Trilogy"; 'Revolutionary Card Magic' was Vol I, and 'Cardially Yours was Vol II. Magic Inc always referred to these books as such, indicating a Vol III would be forthcoming.

There were rumors that John Raichenbach (sp?) was on board to do the editing and it would be the third book in the trilogy, called "Marlo Light".

That had to have been nearly a decade ago and I still can't find any "Vol III" for that trilogy, so I believe it either got dropped due to lack of interest (i.e. sales forecast), or it is still in the works this many years later. I believe Vol III of MINT was also dropped for the same reasons, but I'd sure like em to finish it, I love MINT 1 & 2.

I have a great deal of additional Mario's works in individual book(let) form, but there is SO much from Marlo I was hoping the last book in the trilogy from Magic Inc. would contain some beauts I don't have, and just to finish the trilogy and close the book, pun intended. :)

Anyhow, I am sorry I took this thread in a new direction, my apologies to OP. We now return Tonto your regularly scheduled question: Books or Videos? :)
I know they released Marlo in Spades. It had the same style cover as the others, I saw it when I went to buy RCT over break.

Jul 17, 2015

I don't think it was the lack of interest! Cause RCT have been sold out. So Im hoping the publication is pending! Because Ed Marlo is too important to not share his works.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Books. I think that I'm close to having 200 of them. I find that books allow you to understand a performer and their style. Reading something by Paul Harris is different than something by John Bannon which is different than something by Tom Stone. @FunkyBottoms and @FlipMagic86, reading the Marlo books is VERY different. I also enjoy the Miracle Factory books about some of the classic performers - Roy Benson by Starlight and The Secret Ways of Al Baker. Then there are the historical classics - Martin Gardner's Impromptu and Greater Magic. My favorite book is Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring but his book Technique and Understanding is amazing. Card College, Art of Astonishment, Tarbell, The Books of Wonder are all great sets in their own way. I love the pure theory books like Larry Haas's Transformations, Magic and Meaning, Scripting Magic, Maximum Entertainment, the Show Doctor and the books that present magic with meaning like Tales of Enchantment, Life, Death and Other Card Tricks, This is Not a Book - OK anything by Robert E. Neale, or Eugene Burger. Anything by members of the Madrid school of magic: Ascanio, Tamariz, Giobbi and others. And then the compilations - Jinx, Apocalypse, Hirophant, Collected Almanac, Tailsman, Chronicles and more.

That being said, I have some amazing DVDs but they probably are not what you think. The best DVDs I have are focused on a single prop - Levent's DVDs on Linking Rings, Miser's Dream and Billiard Balls, Ammar's DVDs on Cups and Balls, Jeb Sherril's DVDs on Zombie Ball and the L&L DVDs on Zombie Ball, Bill in Lemon and others. Those just compile so much information in one place that you can use them to build your own personal routine.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Also, another thing that books have - books can teach you theory. While theory can be taught in videos, I am sure it is easier to learn it from books, there is more of it available in books, and it can be much broader or more narrowed down to a specific subject.

Apr 9, 2016
I know they released Marlo in Spades. It had the same style cover as the others, I saw it when I went to buy RCT over break.

"Marlo in Spades" is actually a release by Marlo from years back . It is contained with other works in the 'Cardially Yours' release, which is Vol II of the trilogy.

I've never seen it in its solo book form other than the greenish tint paperback. If you have CY then you already have it within.

Apr 9, 2016
HAHAHA! Very proper of quoting Bill on that one! You prefer the gold seals? I only use them for table and poker demonstrations because they are very durable and last for hours during heavy sleights and manipulations. I just wish it didn't have that seal covering the back. But the man is a legend.

Oh man I love them, but I'm inclined to do a lot of table work. I love everything about em, they are a great working deck. ;)

BTW, that seal will peel right off without a mark. If a bit of the adhesive gets left behind, dab it with the glue side of the seal and the seal will pick it all up like it was never there. :)

Apr 9, 2016
I don't think it was the lack of interest! Cause RCT have been sold out. So Im hoping the publication is pending! Because Ed Marlo is too important to not share his works.

You'd think so, but it's been "in the works" for over a decade. I haven't seen mention of it for ages. My money is on not happening, which is indeed a shame, especially given the touting of a trilogy from Magic Inc.

Hell I suppose I could pick up the phone and find out, think I'll do just that and see what I can find out. I'll share when I get some info.

Also, you can still grab RCM and CY at many places fairly reasonably priced I'm sure. Also much of Marlo's works are available individually but it gets spendy. Ask me how I know. LOL!! Look into MINT I & II for some great Marlo treats, also reasonably priced if you shop around.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results