Video Editing

Oct 17, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hello guys. First of all, i don't know if this the right forum to post this, so if it isn't moderators feel free to remove my post.
My post is about video editing. It all started when i saw that video by Andrei Jikh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWg1Lyi6iag which showcases perfectly his skills and generally cardistry as an art. I really loved it and thought it was beautiful so i would like to get into video editing. From what i hear many are using Final Cut Pro. I don't know which program i will be using but my question to all you video editors out there is where did you learn to do that? Do you study this thing or just by trying and working it out on your own?

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language. I hope everything is easily understood. :)

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Alright for video editing there are two really GOOD products out there for PC and Mac.

For Windows:

The very best to get is Sony Vegas Pro. Some people can't really afford this because its pretty pricey. So what I use and recommend is Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

For Mac:

The best for Macs is Final Cut Pro. But like Sony Vegas Pro, its not cheap. A more affordable option would be Final Cut Express.

I use both programs on a daily basis and both are great and relatively easy to use.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
For Windows:

The very best to get is Sony Vegas Pro. Some people can't really afford this because its pretty pricey. So what I use and recommend is Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

Im going to take a guess and say you havent been into film and editing for a long time. Sony Vegas Pro is pretty amateur. You missed the two other big ones: Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid. Also, he never even asked what software he should use, he asked "where did you learn to do that? Do you study this thing or just by trying and working it out on your own?"

I taught myself how to use Premiere, Vegas, and AE. Tutorials, books, and just playing around with it is extremely helpful. Alot comes from experience. Make sure when you watch tutorials, learn the concepts and not exactly how to do something. Take all those concepts and techniques you have learned and combine them into something that you will use. Don't copy the tutorial and just change some text( *cough* half of T11's titles *cough*)

Also, try searching up other threads on this topic, there are ALOT. D&D's forum also has some threads on this, and Allan provides some helpful informations.

Apr 2, 2011
Germany
Im going to take a guess and say you havent been into film and editing for a long time. Sony Vegas Pro is pretty amateur. You missed the two other big ones: Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid. Also, he never even asked what software he should use, he asked "where did you learn to do that? Do you study this thing or just by trying and working it out on your own?"

I taught myself how to use Premiere, Vegas, and AE. Tutorials, books, and just playing around with it is extremely helpful. Alot comes from experience. Make sure when you watch tutorials, learn the concepts and not exactly how to do something. Take all those concepts and techniques you have learned and combine them into something that you will use. Don't copy the tutorial and just change some text( *cough* half of T11's titles *cough*)

Also, try searching up other threads on this topic, there are ALOT. D&D's forum also has some threads on this, and Allan provides some helpful informations.

One thing: If you are a beginner in video editing, I would'n recommend buying Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects. Both programms are really expensive. Of course you can do EVERYTHING with them, but not as a beginner. So if you just starting editing I would'n recommend this programms. I don't know Sony Vegas, but I think I'd buy it next.
However, if you going to use AE, there is a perfect page with tutorials: videocopilot.net . But AE is more about visual effects, perfect to create great intro's (btw, t11 create the Genesis intro with AE) but not good for cutting and stuff.

Could someone please send me the link to the post about video editing at the DnD forum, or tell me were it is? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh and one more thing: You can do a lot with the right editing software, but to get a video like the one you saw, you also need a good camera. You cant do such a video with a digital camera. You need special lenses and stuff. Unfortunatly, all those things are really expensive.
I'm not a pro, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
(btw, t11 create the Genesis intro with AE

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/ancient_titles/ The EXACT thing they used, w/ different text.

You can use a lower end camera, you just will not be able to get access to the different types of lenses(unless you use an adapter) and controlability There are techniques you can use help get footage from a low end camera to look like what you see in video from nicer cameras though.

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
Basic editing (cutting, transitions) is pretty intuitive once you get started.

Youtube is a plethora of information.
Adobe AfterEffects is fun stuff.

If you have a mac. Great.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
Basic editing (cutting, transitions) is pretty intuitive once you get started.

Youtube is a plethora of information.
Adobe AfterEffects is fun stuff.

If you have a mac. Great.

AE is also for PC....

Just made this using AE http://vimeo.com/24150938 could have been better but honestly I didn't want to bother waiting an hour for it to re-render, reupload, etc.

Aug 31, 2007
I can't attest for anything other than Final Cut Pro, which is what I use regularly, and I love it. In June Final Cut X comes out and will only be $300, which is ridiculously cheap.

However in all honesty, you do not need a fancy editing system to get good at editing. You could use solely Windows Movie Maker or iMovie and still make incredible videos. It's all about what you do with the tools, not the tools themselves. Although fancy tools are nice too.

As some of the guys above me have stated, videocopilot has some great tutorials, and if you can afford it, Lynda.com is one of the biggest, most incredibly valuable resources for any software, including editing softwares. It's a subscription type program, but it gets you access to anything you ever wanted to know about any program, ever. It's great for learning programs from the ground up, as well as when you're stuck during a project and need to figure out how to do a certain task, you have a huge directory to go back to.

Good luck!

~Zach

Apr 2, 2011
Germany
You could use solely Windows Movie Maker or iMovie and still make incredible videos.

~Zach

I know what you mean and I agree with you, but you cant make good things with Movie Maker. We had to work with it at school and it is insane how bad that programm is. It might work for you if you want to edit one movie and it has not to be perfect, but if you want to make more videos with good quality, dont use Movie Maker.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
but you cant make good things with Movie Maker.
That's debatable. A lot of the things that make "good" videos "good" are not done in post production. Lighting, location, timing, framing, choice of lenses, etc all are a huge contributing factor.

Oct 17, 2010
Athens, Greece
Alright guys thanks for all your responses they were all very helpful. I think i'm gonna go with FCP and Zach i'll surely check the sites you suggest. Plus i think i need to start saving up money for a good camera cause without one i think the whole thing is kinda pointless. Thanks again!

Dec 12, 2010
Hello guys. First of all, i don't know if this the right forum to post this, so if it isn't moderators feel free to remove my post.
My post is about video editing. It all started when i saw that video by Andrei Jikh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWg1Lyi6iag which showcases perfectly his skills and generally cardistry as an art. I really loved it and thought it was beautiful so i would like to get into video editing. From what i hear many are using Final Cut Pro. I don't know which program i will be using but my question to all you video editors out there is where did you learn to do that? Do you study this thing or just by trying and working it out on your own?

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language. I hope everything is easily understood. :)

Well, there is a new version coming out mid june, and it will have the same features, but it will only be 300 dollars.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results