Voicemail Prediction

Interested in "app free" voicemail prediction?

• Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
I'm contemplating releasing a voicemail prediction effect on The Wire. The thing that sets it apart is that it is not an app and can be done with any phone. Neither you nor your spectator need to have an iPhone or Android phone.

Would you be interested in this? Please vote above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a quick description of the illusion:

The magician and the spectator create a group of random items (either physically or in a list). The spectator is asked to touch one of those items. The magician then gives his/her phone to the spectator to hold. The magician tells his/her phone number to the spectator and asks them to call it with their own phone. The spectator sees their incoming call on the magician's phone and is asked to decline it so their call is sent to voicemail. The spectator turns on their speakerphone and, after the normal greeting, the item they chose is announced at the end of the greeting.
This is not an app and it can be done with any phone.

I'll be posting a video of a performance soon.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Here is a quick description of the illusion:

The magician and the spectator create a group of random items (either physically or in a list). The spectator is asked to touch one of those items. The magician then gives his/her phone to the spectator to hold. The magician tells his/her phone number to the spectator and asks them to call it with their own phone. The spectator sees their incoming call on the magician's phone and is asked to decline it so their call is sent to voicemail. The spectator turns on their speakerphone and, after the normal greeting, the item they chose is announced at the end of the greeting.
This is not an app and it can be done with any phone.

I'll be posting a video of a performance soon.

Sounds pretty good. I'm interested. But one question that always bugged me with a lot of effects (including this one) is why? Why voicemail? Why not just a regular old prediction on a peace of napkin? It may sound more impressive on a voice mail, but then it also draws the suspicion of technology.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first one to buy the effect, but I would still like to know "why"? ;)

Sounds pretty good. I'm interested. But one question that always bugged me with a lot of effects (including this one) is why? Why voicemail? Why not just a regular old prediction on a peace of napkin? It may sound more impressive on a voice mail, but then it also draws the suspicion of technology.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first one to buy the effect, but I would still like to know "why"? ;)
It doesn't have to be a voicemail, but I find that vocally recorded predictions are more powerful than written ones. A piece of paper can be tampered with. I guess there could be a suspicion of technology, but a recording seems more permanent and in the past. A voicemail greeting seems even further in the past as most people set them up when they first get their phone. The prediction in my effect is a REAL voicemail greeting that was REALLY recorded BEFORE you even met the spectator.

Thanks for your interest and your comments. I'm just waiting for my new HD camcorder for Christmas and then I will start filming this effect and its tutorial.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
It doesn't have to be a voicemail, but I find that vocally recorded predictions are more powerful than written ones. A piece of paper can be tampered with. I guess there could be a suspicion of technology, but a recording seems more permanent and in the past. A voicemail greeting seems even further in the past as most people set them up when they first get their phone. The prediction in my effect is a REAL voicemail greeting that was REALLY recorded BEFORE you even met the spectator.

Thanks for your interest and your comments. I'm just waiting for my new HD camcorder for Christmas and then I will start filming this effect and its tutorial.

I know what you're talking about, I've been doing mentalism for a while now. One other thing that MAY present a problem is people giving their own phone number to a stranger (you), and also a pre-paid phone account. I don't know if you have those in US, but here in Serbia you buy a phone card, and you have let's say $20 worth of credit on it, and once those are up, you cannot call anyone. So you would somehow need to find out if anyone in the group actually wants to call you and have enough money to call you, without starting the effect and then saying "no one can call me? ok then, let's do something else." which is not professional at all.

I know what you're talking about, I've been doing mentalism for a while now. One other thing that MAY present a problem is people giving their own phone number to a stranger (you), and also a pre-paid phone account. I don't know if you have those in US, but here in Serbia you buy a phone card, and you have let's say $20 worth of credit on it, and once those are up, you cannot call anyone. So you would somehow need to find out if anyone in the group actually wants to call you and have enough money to call you, without starting the effect and then saying "no one can call me? ok then, let's do something else." which is not professional at all.
We do have pre-paid cards in the US, but they aren't very common (in my experience). I usually try to perform a few other tricks before this one so I build up their trust. It could be an issue with them not wanting me to have their number, but it has never been a problem in my performances. I don't think most people make the connection between calling someone and giving them their number. They can call from any phone, so if the venue has a landline, it could be done from that. The only issue I have with making sure they can call first is that it gives too much of the trick away before it even starts. Part of the "sleight" is that they don't know a phone is going to be involved until right when it's needed. Thanks for pointing out these issues though. It gives me some stuff to think about before I release this to the public.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
We do have pre-paid cards in the US, but they aren't very common (in my experience). I usually try to perform a few other tricks before this one so I build up their trust. It could be an issue with them not wanting me to have their number, but it has never been a problem in my performances. I don't think most people make the connection between calling someone and giving them their number. They can call from any phone, so if the venue has a landline, it could be done from that. The only issue I have with making sure they can call first is that it gives too much of the trick away before it even starts. Part of the "sleight" is that they don't know a phone is going to be involved until right when it's needed. Thanks for pointing out these issues though. It gives me some stuff to think about before I release this to the public.
Yeah, that's the problem here in Serbia, is that about 80% of people have pre-paid cards, and usually no credit lol. And if you wait until the end of the trick to ask for a phone, then there is really no way back. You cannot really go "Call this number. Oh you have no credit... really? no one? hmm.. ok then, just call when you get home".
I used to do "Cell mates" from Paul Harris's TA, and I cannot tell you the number of times that people had to borrow someone else phone just to do the trick. And then of course, the trick sucks in the end, because the whole point of the trick is to get their phone number.
Luckily, your trick has no issue with that since any phone will do, unless you really want to have that spectators phone number. But than, you can just ask her for it in the end :)

I'm finally getting ready to release this effect, but I need some help. I'm looking for a few people to review and critique it. If you are interested, please respond to this thread. SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. You will receive the explanation in PDF format for FREE in exchange for your review. I don't ask for the reviews to be positive, just honest. I'm looking for reviews to post on my website as well as any spelling or grammatical errors I may have missed. Also, I'm looking for knowledge of similar effects I may have missed. I have done my research and conversed with two magicians with similar effects. They both gave me their blessings to release this effect. Of course, I am only human and I may have missed an effect I'm not familiar with.

If you are a mentalist with experience and are able to write a review and proofread, please respond. Thank you.

Sep 1, 2007
Question: What sets this apart from other predictions methodologically? Because I just thought of a perfectly manageable method right now, and it's actually pretty easy. And are any suggestions offered for why there's a prediction in your voice mail? Predictions are very difficult to motivate, and I've seen a lot that don't offer a very mood motive, if any at all. Your answer thus far about how audio recordings are harder to screw with than paper doesn't quite scan with me. I've never had anyone accuse me of tampering with billets.

Question: What sets this apart from other predictions methodologically? Because I just thought of a perfectly manageable method right now, and it's actually pretty easy. And are any suggestions offered for why there's a prediction in your voice mail? Predictions are very difficult to motivate, and I've seen a lot that don't offer a very mood motive, if any at all. Your answer thus far about how audio recordings are harder to screw with than paper doesn't quite scan with me. I've never had anyone accuse me of tampering with billets.
Those are very fair points and questions. I'll try to answer as best I can. There are 2 methods for this effect. One of them allows a free choice, one doesn't (but it seems like a free choice). The method you are thinking of is probably similar to my second method. When using the first method, you genuinely do not know which item they will pick until they pick it. The reason I chose a voicemail prediction is because I think that people generally setup their voicemail shortly after getting a new phone or service. That helps to solidify the suggestion that the prediction had been recorded way before the performance and reveal. When I perform it, I start by mentioning that I made a prediction some amount of time ago (earlier today, yesterday, 2 weeks ago, etc.) I usually present it as a feeling or premonition I had while on my way to the event where I'm performing. I tell the spectator that I can't reveal where the prediction is, but that when it's revealed, they'll understand that it couldn't have been tampered with. I proceed to have them select an item and then call my cellphone and listen to my voicemail greeting. The prediction is revealed and is correct. A lot of the effect relies heavily on what items are used for the spectator to select. Using ordinary items still gets great reactions, but using items that have sentimental value to the spectator makes the premonition seem more personal. It's hard to convince people that you had a premonition about them choosing keys over a pen, but when you use pictures of loved ones, family heirlooms, etc., it seems more feasible.

Sep 1, 2007
Call me old-fashioned, but a nail writer or pocket writing seems to me like less of a hassle.

I don't know, maybe some people would prefer it this way but I think this is more going to appeal to magicians than pure mentalists. If you'll forgive me this brief digression and soap box moment, I'm of the opinion that the combining of magic with technology should have a stronger motive behind it. Here the connection is tenuous at best.

Call me old-fashioned, but a nail writer or pocket writing seems to me like less of a hassle.

I don't know, maybe some people would prefer it this way but I think this is more going to appeal to magicians than pure mentalists. If you'll forgive me this brief digression and soap box moment, I'm of the opinion that the combining of magic with technology should have a stronger motive behind it. Here the connection is tenuous at best.
This is the exact kind of input I'm looking for. I'm working on a variation where the spectator calls your phone and, without you ever knowing their phone number, the incoming call shows the name of the item they chose and a picture of it. Do you think that more solidly connects magic and technology?

Not to be a prick but isn't there a forum specifically for the Wire and all it's shenanigans? Shouldn't this be posted in there?
At first I was confused, but now I see that when I started this thread I mentioned releasing this on The Wire. Sorry. I didn't specify my new intentions. For now I plan to release this on my own website as a PDF. I plan to also make a video explanation and try to release that on The Wire in the future. Sorry for the confusion.

Sep 1, 2007
This is the exact kind of input I'm looking for. I'm working on a variation where the spectator calls your phone and, without you ever knowing their phone number, the incoming call shows the name of the item they chose and a picture of it. Do you think that more solidly connects magic and technology?

It still feels like a reach. Docc Hilford has a clairvoyance/telepathy effect using cell phones that's well-motivated and the method is deceptively obvious. It's simply a matter of technology facilitating the effect, rather than being the effect.

Let me try expressing this another way. Think about what a cell phone is for a second. We now have phones that are more compact and versatile than the communicators on the original Star Trek. If you were to use a time machine to bring a person from Europe 500 years in the past to today, they'd swear that cell phones were some sort of sorcery. Flat-screen TVs would be a living tapestry. Automobile would be interpreted as phantom carriages. But each and every one of them is just a piece of technology, if an impressive one. A device that turns sound into electronic and satellite radio wave signals and then back into sound again, a screen of chemicals that change pigmentation based on an electrical current to create a series of moving pictures, and a plastic and metal housing for a rotary engine powered by explosions, respectively.

But compare all of these to the magic you see in novels and movies. Is a cell phone really more efficient than a crystal ball? Not really, no. It's an imperfect device that works pretty much whenever it feels like, which is seldom, and drops your calls whenever it's bored, which is all the time. But if you really could use magic to make it a perfect device... what would it do?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA

Poor guy, my personality is rubbing off on him. . .

Fact is ANY EFFECT involving a cell phone or eMail, etc. will not be accepted as genuine PSI like phenomena because it involves modern technology, something that's become a major pain in the tukkiss for working Mentalists.

We've had to deal with exposure via Hollywood over the years, when it comes to Code techniques and use of two-way radio systems in a two-person act as well as other demonstration like the Talking Skull or Talking Tea Kettle; being able to prove that you are not using the very same technology that you actually are using is more than a little difficult at times. When it comes to the scenario being discussed here, I'd have to say that any demonstration you do that incorporates a Tablet, Lap Top or Cell unit is, at best, going to be seen as a "TRICK" and not some kind of mental miracle. . . especially if you have to gain their phone number or eMail Account data ahead of time. . . if you use covert means by which to steal those details from their phone, you would be facing criminal charges, especially in today's paranoid culture (due to I.D. theft & Privacy Invasion).

Pocket or Nail Writing are two of the best and simplest real time reveals and certainly less complicated than anything involving a modern gadget.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results