Voting Open - ACR- DaveyG v.s. Jacksansui

I didn't like either of them to much to be honest, but I'll give some quick advice.

@ DaveyG You have a good strong foundation for your presentation but the performance itself really wasn't to great. You kept saying, I'll show you again, then I'll show you a couple more times. Yet the entire presentation was about showing it three times, you have to stick to this. Change it if you want to say, he still couldn't figure it out, so Vernon showed Houdini again, and again and again until finally Insert Ending.

@Jacksansui Your routine was built much better but the actual presentation wasn't there. Still the same idle patter of listen as you watch what I'm doing, they can plainly see what you are doing they don't need you to say exactly what was going on. The ending stuff was really great, the riffle force and the ending was very cool to watch and is a very nice touch.

In the end I went with Jacksansui, because even though no real presentation was there he had a very nice routine. DaveyG it's helpful to stay within your character, even better to stay in your own presentation. It was decent work by both of you and I'm glad there were real performances done, good job.

May 18, 2008
I am going to say, no offense, but Jacksansui by a LONGSHOT. It is GREAT that you got out there and performed, and they were obviously fooled; your moves were flawless.

HOWEVER, you had absolutly NO presentation. You talked for a moment about Dai Vernon and Houdini and then just did it again and again and again.

Jacksansui didn't have very much presentation either, but his routine has a bigginging, a middle and an ending and he was very clear and performed with a LOT of confidence.

DaveyG, I am not saying this to insult you or demotivate you. I hope that helps!

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I enjoyed both of these performance and insprise me to Go Out and Perform when I saw these videos, but it was 12 in the morning when I saw these video.

DaveyG- You perform pretty well, but keep working on the presenation. Love the part when you friend said dude I was fliming and I didn't see the card go to you mouth.

Jacksansui- Sorry if I misspelled your name. Like other peolpe say work in your presenation and also I like the way you handle your audicene. Overall it was good video to watch and love your ideas.

So my vote goes to Jacksansui. Good jobs guys keep it up.

Oct 29, 2009
Hey guys great job. Both of you for just going out and performing. I'm not going to tell whom I voted but here is some critique from the video.

DaveyG: Good work, the most obvious thing I would have to say is 'stop'. That what we all have to learn. You did it to many times and the spectators went from 'wow thats crazy' to 'seen it but how did you do that.' I did that for age when I first was learning til some one pointed it out. Its mainly because youget all excited and think I'm doing great these guys are eating it up. You want to finish on a high and walk away so they're left saying to each other OMG! what just happen! instead of OMG! do you think he actually put it in the middle. Now for the little nacky things, Your bag take it off give it to the camera man, your the star he should carry it (vise versa if he does magic) This will relax your shoulders and make you look better, Now the rest is for the camera man, Could possibly have been filmed better from the other side cos you're a lefty (could not see the rifle neither could the spec.), no talking during the performance unless vital ( the joke was pointless the kid was like 12 no credit card for him ), And no shots of he ground. I dont want to put down the filming we are all amatuers but that was a bit below. Good things; your sleights your starting patter end it well cos they would have forgotten what you said. Good confidence.

Jack S: Sorry but im sick of typing so i'll try to say everything. Video was good for amatuers (which most of us are) but you were hardly in it, are you hiding from us? (please dont start wearing a mask if you are). And try to edit it better I think you had a couple of F's in there not sure but just check it in the future, had to comment on your sleights cos some were off screen but the one I saw were good. Great crowd controll though they wanted one thing, you showed the other, they were stunned. Make you look like you know what you're doing.
Patter where was it? stating the obvious sometime works but you could have gotten so much more out of your audience, by the way it looks like it expanded but you didn't include them, did you do anything for them after.
arrrrr im over it
Good work for the both of you.

Great work to both. Here is what i thought... DaveyG, like mentioned before take the backpack off man. The routine itself wasn't my favourite out of the two, be a little more creative and have some different moves and involve the audience a little more... give them a reason to watch your effect. Apart from that I like the fact that it was street magic and you performed quite confidently, your sleights were good.
Jacksansui, don't hide man get in front of the camera all we could see was a deck of cards and your hands. Other than that I really liked your routine, especially the bit at the end, I think it was a great ending and perfect alternative to the pop-up move that most do. All the talking depends on who you want to come across as so I didn't mind that, well if i'm performing for friends and family I will talk a lot like you did otherwise i try to keep it to a minimum so people aren't 100% aware of what I am capable of... well like I'm not all talk.
Big ups to both of you, you both did great! :D

May 31, 2008
Great work to both. Here is what i thought... DaveyG, like mentioned before take the backpack off man. The routine itself wasn't my favourite out of the two, be a little more creative and have some different moves and involve the audience a little more... give them a reason to watch your effect. Apart from that I like the fact that it was street magic and you performed quite confidently, your sleights were good.
Jacksansui, don't hide man get in front of the camera all we could see was a deck of cards and your hands. Other than that I really liked your routine, especially the bit at the end, I think it was a great ending and perfect alternative to the pop-up move that most do. All the talking depends on who you want to come across as so I didn't mind that, well if i'm performing for friends and family I will talk a lot like you did otherwise i try to keep it to a minimum so people aren't 100% aware of what I am capable of... well like I'm not all talk.
Big ups to both of you, you both did great! :D

Thanks for the advice, so who'd you vote for?

Umm... well I wasn't going to say but since you asked I'll say... Jacksansui, eeek there I said it but you both did great. Jack was a tough bit of competition as he is more experienced but if you were up against someone like me you would have won hands down.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Sethmagic basically picked up on the most important things.

Both need to work on presentation. Jacksansui needs one, and DaveyG needs a proper one.

Seeing more from the filming would've been nice, but not a big deal.

And DaveyG, don't go for too long.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Can you elaborate more on what is not "proper" about my presentation? I would really appreciate it

Your presentation starts off on a really strong premise. That was good to see, and it's a great step. However, by the middle of the performance, it had basically lost all meaning, and you had reverted to saying exactly what you were doing. The first time, it made sense - you were doing what Vernon did. By the third time, it was obvious you were waving, the card was on top, etc. In other words, the premise wasn't sustained till the end of the performance.

And Houdini was fooled after three times. I know that in reality Vernon did it seven times (from memory), but after the third time, or fourth at a stretch, one could safely declare your presentation officially dead.

Just to reiterate something I said earlier though, your presentation DOES start off with a really nice premise that I enjoyed seeing, so well done on that. It certainly wasn't all negative.

May 31, 2008
Your presentation starts off on a really strong premise. That was good to see, and it's a great step. However, by the middle of the performance, it had basically lost all meaning, and you had reverted to saying exactly what you were doing. The first time, it made sense - you were doing what Vernon did. By the third time, it was obvious you were waving, the card was on top, etc. In other words, the premise wasn't sustained till the end of the performance.

And Houdini was fooled after three times. I know that in reality Vernon did it seven times (from memory), but after the third time, or fourth at a stretch, one could safely declare your presentation officially dead.

Just to reiterate something I said earlier though, your presentation DOES start off with a really nice premise that I enjoyed seeing, so well done on that. It certainly wasn't all negative.

Thank you very much.

Nov 8, 2009
You guys suck. I was thinking of battling but when the best guy loses whats the point. Or maybe some one rigged it.

Nov 8, 2009
Bro no attitude just speaking the truth. Handle it. You can't seriously say the best performance won.

Nov 8, 2009
sorry should have made it clear. Those guys dont suck. I give respect to both for going out and filming live. Im saying the voters got it wong and the sample of community I have seen suck.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
sorry should have made it clear. Those guys dont suck. I give respect to both for going out and filming live. Im saying the voters got it wong and the sample of community I have seen suck.

And you still haven't seen the best of it ;) (sarcasm)

I actually was kinda happy with this battle, not because the result, I was happy because both performances were live and a lot of users here gave constructive criticism, thing that I rarely see.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

how can you get something "Wrong" that is strictly a matter of opinion?
No one judges on the same criteria as the other person.

May 31, 2008
Jarrod,, it seems as though you are insulting me and the community

You guys suck. I was thinking of battling but when the best guy loses whats the point. Or maybe some one rigged it.

"the best guy loses whats the point."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you think jacksansui is a better performer than me, well then, that's your opinion. You could be right, you could be wrong. You didn't offer your reason as to why he is better than me, you just said that he is better than me. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me why, and what I can improve on.

"Or maybe some one rigged it."

That statement is extremely insulting towards me. You are essentially accusing me of rigging an internet challenge with no prize other than knowing what other magicians think of me. It's amazing that there are people out there willing to accuse people they've never met of cheating. I find it sickening.

Bro no attitude just speaking the truth. Handle it. You can't seriously say the best performance won.

What was it that made Jack's performance better than mine? I am 100% willing to listen, and learn what I can improve on.

"sorry should have made it clear. Those guys dont suck."

Ok, I appreciate that, and I thank you for the respect.

"Im saying the voters got it wong and the sample of community I have seen suck."

The reality is, the voters can't get it wrong, because they're the voters. They are entitled to their opinion just like you. You may think jacksansui is better than me, but in the voters' opinions, I was better than jacksansui. I think the rest of the community has done an amazing job of providing good, constructive criticism. I don't think I've ever seen a battle where every single post provided constructive criticism to both parties. Another thing I would like to point out, is that I won by one vote. One vote, this battle was extremely tight, and to be honest, I consider it more of a draw. Also, forgive me for asking, did you vote?

Thank you for listening, and good evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results