Walter Irving Scott

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The story of Walter Irving Scott walking into a room full of magicians, blindfolding himself, and dealing a perfect poker hand from a shuffled deck is probably my favorite magic story of all time. However, there has always been speculation as to if it actually happened (some say he peaked, some say he used his own deck which was stacked, some say that he switched the decks, etc.). Is there someplace I can get the full story? Is it in "The Phantom at the Card Table"?
Speaking of which, what exactly is The Phantom, and would you recommend it?

Haschich

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2016
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Hey, I really want some answers about this story too, but maybe I can offer some light for you.
This story is commonlly associated with the Punch Deal, which is considered kind of his "signature method" nowadays.
Maybe it really was the method he used, maybe we will never know.

I don't have any answers for you (but would love to know the answers also). Perhaps you can ask Daniel Madison; he accomplished this on TV.
Madison used another technique in this demonstration but he talks about Irving and he also has a book about Irving, which I never read, but maybe it's what you are looking for: http://www.lybrary.com/the-scott-tribute-blindfolded-poker-deal-p-137031.html

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I don't have any answers for you (but would love to know the answers also). Perhaps you can ask Daniel Madison; he accomplished this on TV.
Oh I know about Madison's performance. I keep going back to it, not because I don't know how it's done, but rather because I do know how it's done and am just amazed at how cleanly Madison did it. I was second guessing myself the whole time.

Part of the reason I made this thread is because I wanted to know exactly what DM was talking about.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey, I really want some answers about this story too, but maybe I can offer some light for you.
This story is commonlly associated with the Punch Deal, which is considered kind of his "signature method" nowadays.
Maybe it really was the method he used, maybe we will never know.

Madison used another technique in this demonstration but he talks about Irving and he also has a book about Irving, which I never read, but maybe it's what you are looking for: http://www.lybrary.com/the-scott-tribute-blindfolded-poker-deal-p-137031.html
I always thought it was more of a Bottom Deal, because the story says that it was a borrowed deck. That's also why I want to know the story, because anyone could doctor cards and deal them.

Jul 26, 2016
Maaz,

There are actually two books that prominently feature Scott, neither of which I have read yet. (1) "The Phantom of the Card Table," a short manuscript published in 1931 by Eddie McGuire. (Appears to be devoted to Scott's card skills and techniques, as opposed to being a biographical work. McGuire is reputed to have been a self=serving amateur who used Scott. Scott was virtually unknown in the magic/card sharp world. But McGuire is said to have used him as a bargaining chip - as a means of meeting famous card men of the day. Scott eventually saw through McGuire, felt a lot of disdain toward him, and regretted allowing him to publish the manuscript); and (2) The other book is "The Phantoms of the Card Table: Confessions of a Card Sharp," by David Britland and Gazzo, first published in 2003. It is 256 pages in length. I viewed the table of contents on Amazon, and it appears that there is much written about Scott's life and exploits, including his encounters with illustrious card men. So, I would bet that the story to which you referred (or a similar variant) is contained in this book. Here is the link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Phantoms-Card-Table-Confessions-Sharp/dp/1568582994 You can preview some of the book there. Gazzo had a long friendship with Scott, and was Scott's only known student. My understanding is that "The Phantoms of the Card Table: Confessions of a Card Sharp" was not only based on Gazzo's first-hand knowledge, but is very well-researched, and many resources were drawn upon, including card experts such as Steve Forte and Bill Kalush to name but a few.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Not really. It takes very solid and subtle technique to be able to punch-mark only certain cards, and then find and deal them from the deck without being obvious about it.
That is very true, I wasn't sure how to word it at the time.
Let me rephrase: A skilled card cheat could use his own doctored cards in his own deck to accomplish the effect. This wouldn't take away from the effect, but I just wanted to know what the full story is. If he did use a borrowed deck, why would he bother to use punched cards when he could just sneak the cards into an ideal location as he got the deck after it had been shuffled?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
...So, I would bet that the story to which you referred (or a similar variant) is contained in this book. Here is the link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Phantoms-Card-Table-Confessions-Sharp/dp/1568582994 You can preview some of the book there. Gazzo had a long friendship with Scott, and was Scott's only known student. My understanding is that "The Phantoms of the Card Table: Confessions of a Card Sharp" was not only based on Gazzo's first-hand knowledge, but is very well-researched, and many resources were drawn upon, including card experts such as Steve Forte and Bill Kalush to name but a few.
I was wondering what the difference was! Thanks! Will probably pick this up over the summer :)

Jul 26, 2016
You are welcome! It seems that Scott's story is a fascinating one, and there was quite a mystique surrounding him in the magic underground. Should be fascinating reading...

Reactions: ParkinT

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's more bullet proof with the cards still in the deck, and also allows more versatility. For example, you could deal an entire suit with a punch mark. There's no way 13 cards copped from a deck would be missed by seasoned card players who are asked to shuffle it.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Not really. It takes very solid and subtle technique to be able to punch-mark only certain cards, and then find and deal them from the deck without being obvious about it.

I've spent years trying to master Marlo'so punch deal.

This could also be accomplished using DVS with any borrowed deck. I would say the actual workers term for it but it's border line exposure.

Feb 2, 2016
The story of Walter Irving Scott walking into a room full of magicians, blindfolding himself, and dealing a perfect poker hand from a shuffled deck is probably my favorite magic story of all time. However, there has always been speculation as to if it actually happened (some say he peaked, some say he used his own deck which was stacked, some say that he switched the decks, etc.). Is there someplace I can get the full story? Is it in "The Phantom at the Card Table"?
Speaking of which, what exactly is The Phantom, and would you recommend it?
Walter's method for the blindfold deal is published in phantom of the card table. It does use peg work there for can be done with your deck of someone else's, depnding how skillful you are. Hope that answers all of your questions.

Jul 28, 2015
I've read the book and all I have to say is that it's a fascinating read and all you have and want to know is in the book, I would recommend you pick up a copy...

Feb 2, 2016
I've read the book and all I have to say is that it's a fascinating read and all you have and want to know is in the book, I would recommend you pick up a copy...
How much did it cost you, did you buy a first edition or the Las Vegas reprint?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Was it taught in Phantom at the Card Table, or Phantoms of the Card Table: Confessions of a Card Sharp? Because those are 2 completly seperate book.

Phantom will cost you ~ 13 - 20 dollars US
Phantoms will be 20 - 30 dollars US, but is a signifigantly better book, since the original one had a ton of baloney and pissed of Scott.

Jul 28, 2015
Was it taught in Phantom at the Card Table, or Phantoms of the Card Table: Confessions of a Card Sharp? Because those are 2 completly seperate book.

Phantom will cost you ~ 13 - 20 dollars US
Phantoms will be 20 - 30 dollars US, but is a signifigantly better book, since the original one had a ton of baloney and pissed of Scott.

Its taught in both, The phantom of the card table is is the original 1931 manuscript written by Eddie McGuire, phantoms of the card table: confessions of a card sharp written by David Britland and Gazzo is the book that recounts the story of Walter Scott and the famous deal that fooled everyone and made him a legend it also includes the manuscript at the end of the book

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Its taught in both, The phantom of the card table is is the original 1931 manuscript written by Eddie McGuire, phantoms of the card table: confessions of a card sharp written by David Britland and Gazzo is the book that recounts the story of Walter Scott and the famous deal that fooled everyone and made him a legend it also includes the manuscript at the end of the book
I'm fairly certain that latter has a lot more than just Scott's Story & the manuscript.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results