WAND STREET JOURNAL 4/22/18

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Hello!!! Welcome back to the long awaited return of the Wand Street Journal. Your (somewhat) unbiased magic newspaper! It's been awhile, but after hearing about our top story I realized it was time for a return! So get ready for Great articles, New segments, improved segments, and even an Exclusive interview with the one and only Steven Bridges! So, without a further ado, let us dive into the new and improved WAND STREET JOURNAL!

WORLD RENOWN ILLUSIONIST DAVID COPPERFIELD FORCED TO REVEAL METHOD IN COURT .
imrs.php
21 time Emmy award winning Magician David Copperfield is nothing shy of a legend. Beyond your typical house hold name. His Invisible man routine ,TNR of the most valuable base-ball card in history, and vanishing of the statue of liberty have made him the most well known illusionist of the 21st century. These closely guarded secrets have amazed the minds of not just your average laymen, but also some of the greatest magic critics, and even just magicians. However, due to an unfortunate event in 2013 one of his secrets is no longer...
November 12, 2013. Copperfield's Las Vegas show was going as normal. He began to perform a signature: "LUCKY 13". In which he threw 13 silver balls into the crowd to gain 13 random participants. He would place all 13 on a platform then proceed to make them vanish, and reappear on the other side. He's done it a THOUSAND times. No worries. But sadly this was the not one of those thousands.
One participant who caught the ball was a 53 year old British Tourist under the name: Gavin Cox. Gavin sat where he was supposed to, but when the vanish was supposed to take place, lets just say... it didn't work. Gavin suffered severe injuries including a claimed dislocated shoulder, and even a brain injury! (Due to Theory 11 forum rules and my respect for exposure, I will not be telling how the effect was accomplished, however if you have even just skimmed the "ILLUSION" section of Tarbell, or Wilson's Course you will most likely know how its done. So I will just assume you do.) The accident in question occurred when the participant "slipped" while trying to make it to the other side of the theater for the reappearance. Copperfield said this was out of his control, ergo no legal action should be taken against him.
However this is not the focus of this article. This event took place in 2013. So, Why are we talking about it now? Well, April 17, 2017 the judge of this case ordered more information. He wanted to know what truly happened. He needed to know how the vanish was accomplished. The Illusionist's lawyers argued it would hurt the income of "the highest paid magician of all time" to release such a secret to the public. Therefore no one revealed the secret.... until David's Consultant the well beloved Chris Kenner decided it would be best, and revealed how the effect was accomplished after agreeing with David. This was obviously to the dismay of many "anti-exposure" magicians, but to most it was for the best.
Now for the average magic Historian this is not the newest event in history. In 1902 Harry Houdini attempted to sue the German police, that claimed his escape act was "rigged" and used "dead locks". This lasted 3 trials in which all three Houdini won. In the first trial Houdini pulled the judge aside to show him how he actually escaped the cuffs. (once again forum rules, so the will not be reveal).The judge decided their was no more to discuss and ruled in favor of Harry. And years later it is believed the judge revealed what Houdini told him in that secret room.

There we have 2 different sides of a coin. Obviously some things are just more important than a trick, so it shouldn't come as a shocker that both Houdini and Copperfield revealed their secrets for the greater good. But they both accomplished it in 2 ways. Houdini told his in secret to a man under oath. However, it wasn't this simple for "the magician of the 21st century". Since his had more to do with what happened during the trick rather than Harry's which was the effect as a whole he was forced to tell everyone so they knew the whole story. 2 different sides but both seemed equally sufficient.
As Magic begins to evolve, so will exposure. Could this be the start of a new era? Could we see more "Secrets revealed in order of judge". Obviously if forced to, it should be an easy choice. Magic is magic. Somethings are just more important than secrets from a book.

Product of the week:
Magic of Johnny Thompson 2 volume set

Quite possibly the most anticipated book of the year finally began its Shipment this week. The set in question is a multi-volume set including 78 of his cherished routines, as well as unpublished work from some absolute legends including Vernon, AND Marlo. So it is on the priceyer side, but seems completely worth it!!!

Cool find: lot of Michael Ammar lecture items

This find is set of 4 products from the mind of Michael Ammar. This includes

Coin in bottle cork
90 minute Michael Ammar live, dvd.
Coins thru silk
Leather show case wallet

This is one of the few times I've ever seen a Coin in bottle cork. I've read about it in The Magic Of Michael Ammarr, But have never seen one. Ergo that alone justifies the current price of $6.32. Not to mention the very high quality Leather Show Ca yese wallet, which by its self retails about $20. I expect the price to shoot up, so get your bids in while you still can!!!! (I do not have a connection to the seller, nor do I gain a profit from this)

Performance of the week:

This moving performance on BGT, not only gained him the first golden buzzer of the season, but also made tears come to the eyes of the judges. For those unaware that is not extremely common, especially when dealing with magic.

His usage of simple methods allowed for less stress on the performance allowing him to focus on his patter and presentation, making for one of the best in the show's history.

Weekly printout
This week I have presented 4 differnt qr codes. All of which when scanned will reveal a high quality image of the K♥. The latest iPhone update (IOS11) now allows a qr reader straight from your camera. So simply print one out, and carry it around inside the cellophane of your deck of cards (or anywhere), and then when you are ready, force the king of hearts. So all you have to do is hold up your spectators camera app on their phone to scan the code. A link will pop up. Click the link and it will bring you to a high quality 1080p image of the king. In fact try it! Scan one of the codes below. Just go to your camera app and hold it over the code and click the link!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-21_22-16-4.png
    upload_2018-4-21_22-16-4.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 29

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Weekly Idea: Oh yes! The best segment. This one just so happens to be about color changes.

In the 21st century you must be able to promote your self through Social Media in order to be as successful as possible. The best way is through short, simple, visual, powerful effects. Obviously many people are thinking "You just described a color change", but lets be honest. They don't really have a good patter. And honestly just look like you are switching the cards somehow. Plus, On Snapchat you only have 10 seconds. Instagram has 60 seconds. So you need something that has patter built in. So you don't have to spend too much time explaining, because if you do they will become bored and just scroll down to the next video.
That's where this comes in. The color change is typically the visual switch between 2 unlike cards. That is why I'm pitching this: switch it out, for the same card,BUT with words written on it. Think about it. You can magically make ghostly messages appear, or really any message. And you DON'T HAVE TO SAY A WORD!!!!! I'm not going to go over specific patter ideas, but I will leave you with this compliation of some things that should spark your imagination.

INTERMEDIATE'S INTERVIEW: So this new segment should be interesting. It is for my beginner readers. In this segment I will take professional magicians (or catfish) and ask them questions that should be beneficiary for those just starting out.

This week I've decided to interview my favorite YouTube magician Steven Bridges. I've decided to write out the highlights of the interview. Please check the sources section if you would enjoy to see the entirety of this interview. So lets dive into it.

Question #1: Very simple if you could travel back in time to when you were an intermediate and tell your self 1 thing, What would it be?

Stephen stated that he would tell himself to "steer away from gimmicks" and to mostly focus "on getting good at sleight of hand, mis-direction and showmanship". Not only that, The busker stated h would tell them to get more experience as a performer. Whether that be "working a restaurant job doing magic, or street performing. Anything to get stage time"

Question #2:Most beginners are constantly told to practice. However a huge problem can arise:no one teaches them how. So how should they practice? What techniques do you use to practice? Mirrors? Cameras? Showing to family members first? Do you practice 1 thing at a time? Or can you discuss anything else you want to talk about when it comes to practicing?

(I am copying Stephen verbatim on this one, because the advice is too good to chop up.)

"There is no right answer to this so here’s some general advice that may or may not be helpful...
Set an amount of time you want to practice per day and do it. Have 3 tricks or and spend about an hour on one, then switch to another, then the other. That’ll keep things fresh.

You should first ‘practice’ which is getting the basic mechanic of the trick down. Then you should rehearse, which is when you perform the trick as if you were doing it live

Video yourself practicing and rehearsing and you’ll learn a lot when watching it back. Just prop up a phone camera or something."

Question 3:

Finally the most common thread I've seen on these forums.What is an absolute must have beginner magic book/DVD/download or other various magic product.

I don’t just necessarily mean just trick related books, DVDs, etc. I’m also referring to things like “the Exciting World of Magic by Michael Ammar” in which it teaches how to join magic clubs,subscribing to magazines, easy tricks vs. hard tricks, etc. as well as many powerful effects.

Maximum by Ken Weber Entertainment. He says its "perfect for those just starting out, and even seasoned pros"

There we have it! I really hope you guys guys appropriated that, and please thank Stephen for his expert advice

Final thoughts: So, It feels good to be back! I really hope you guys enjoyed it and I'm excited to see how you respond to the Copperfield story, and I want to hear about your thoughts on Stephen's advice. That was a very pleasant experience. So... That's about it! See you guys Wednesday for game night ;)!

Here are the original Wand street Journals:
Week 8
Week 7
Week 6
Week 5
Week 4
Week 3
Week 2
week 1

Sources: Full interview with Mr. Bridges

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43831679

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-court/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c0a808a285d4

http://time.com/5247771/david-copperfield-lawsuit-magic-trick/

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/06/harry-houdini-german-slander-trial/

Qr codes brought to you by Qrstuff.com

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
UPDATE:
Earlier today the jury ruled Copperfield was guilty of negligence, BUT there was nothing in his power to stop it., and Cox was responsible for his own injuries. Ergo is was not responsible and does not have to pay the fine, or serve any form of punishment. Copperfield is officially free.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results