Wand street Journal 8/26/17

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Welcome to this weeks wand street journal! A weekly (Mostly) Unbiased magic newspaper.

Sadly the top 2 stories I did not want to report on, but sadly I kind of have to. As I said last week I hate modern news, because its just Drama garbage, but I would like to talk about how each situation has been handled, the positive that have come out and try to be optimistic. Obviously you should research all topics discussed and not just read this, before making an educated opinion.

One of the Worlds leading Magic Creators, Jay Sankey, Apologizes for "S.T.U.P.I.D comment"

upload_2017-8-26_14-40-46.png

(Figure 1)

Many are familiar with Jay Sankey and his positivity, even when he is getting more hate than anyone else in the community, and his effects are being stolen and sold without permission. So, many were muddled when Jay stated, he believed that Cardistry was simply "Glorified Fidget spinning", on twitter. (The original tweet is N/A). He complained that walking up to someone and doing cardistry makes no connection, and is "not magic". This sparked an insane outrage throughout the community. Michael "My turn" Stern even had a live stream explaining why he disagreed with Sankey. He stated he believed that it is an art form and therefore not anyone can do it. Unlike fidget spinning. However, some may have been less tasteful and pointing out, how he himself does flourishes, and straight up saying he is jealous and should "KYS".
Jay quickly noticed the negative impact of the tweet and sent out an apology in his weekly newsletter.(Full apology is figure 1) He realized he had done the opposite of his life motto, and deeply regretted it. He knew it was time to be the bigger man and say it was a mistake and not even attempt to defend himself.
He is making sure every one sees this and even attached some clips of cardistry to the newsletter.
(Biased opinion warning) I tip my hat to Mr. Sankey for his action and do greatly enjoy what he has done, being the bigger man. I truely wish everyone who take after his brave action.

Ramsay,lax,and jibrizy exchange
opinions
(This is the main topic I did not want to discuss, but some positives did come out.)

Everybody who has been apart of this community for any amount of time, sadly knows about hatred in it. So it should not surprise anyone some of the most un-liked magicians throughout the community had an exchange of words.
This week a video leaked of Internet magician Jibrizy "coaching" spectators.(
the video Jibrizy was filming a magic compilation video and in one clip he used the classic Wow 2.0 gimmick (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2132) and before the change he asked his spectators to exaggerate their reaction. (this is common, to ask spectators to act more excited than they are. This tacit is usually used to book gigs). He had a card change into a "thought of card" Most claim he just had them say 7♠ and did not even select it, if that is true we are not sure. Although that can be assumed through the video.

Chris Ramsay made a response claiming that these "fake reactions" are making every online magician's job harder. He brought up many good points, and even allowed him to "collab" and restart.(
)

Following this, Ramsay made a video using his character Chris, where he made fun of of the entire Facebook genre.(
) The reviews were mixed.

One of the reviews came from Facebook magician Rick lax, and claimed it to be a bullying attack. Rick was bullied as a child, so it is understandable when he became older that this would spark open some "old wounds". Some disagree, and believe it was simply Chris being Chris.
Many will recall this is not the first time the Youtube magician has had this term thrown at him. He used to have a series entitled "Reacting to bad magic" in which he would trash "Cringy" magicians. He also had this term thrown when he called out Murphy's magic for "Michael baying" (not his words) his memento mori deck.
(Extreme bias warning) At this point I just wanted all 3 to be the bigger man and say "I respectfully disagree with what you have done" like Mr. Sankey did. By now it was simply childish.
This kind of happened. Chris responded, saying "reacting to bad magic" may have been taken as bullying. Once again the "wounds of bullying" were opened and Ramsay admitted he was actually bullied as a child as well. To avoid this title he promised to donate all the money earned on an autographed uncut sheet of Knights playing cards to an anti-bullying charity. As of this writing it has raised $910, and is expected to raise $1000.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/332358347916?)
However, he told Rick to "put his money where his mouth is". Which (Imo) frankly was unnecessary, and his way of saying he's right, and "trying to win".
In the end a great charity is getting a nice donation so it would be wrong to say it was all bad.

Now its time to shift to some less drama related stuff.

Product of the week:(http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8878) I myself have learned multiple methods to the classic jumping band plot. I have not purchased this one, but I am looking forward to it.

Cool find: (//www.ebay.com/itm/Ed-Marlo-Deck-Deception-Multiple-Shift-Side-Steal-Books-/162642296392?hash=item25de3c7e48:g:4NwAAOSwuLZY4Zk3) This weeks cool find is 3 ed marlo books. These are really nice for a great price (I have no connection to the seller nor do I gain a profit)

Performance of the week: Goes to Eric Jones
(
) his use of sucker punch as well as a classic wall penetration makes for a very great act.

Non official Hall Of Fame: This new segment I would like to add Moriz Mueller. His classic Once coin routine is one of the greatest of all time. Not to mention his Ellen appearance. He truly is a break out star.

Weekly Print out:Every week (hopefully) I'll have a trick printout. It shouldn't surprise any one who knows me that this week is a force reveal
upload_2017-8-26_23-19-26.png

This is based on my original force reveal you can read about here: https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/kfc-explanation.48380/
This is obviously a gift card. you print this out and glue it to any old gift card or membership card for a power full force reveal.

Weekly Idea: So, I've been back to school for almost 2 weeks. If you are like most of us and ALREADY have projects due here is a neat idea.
Many times you'll have projects due on poster boards, with pictures on it. Teachers will often hang these up on their walls around the classroom. So before you glue those pictures on that poster board put a card behind it! So, if your teacher hangs it up, you'll have an amazing force reveal any time. Just get them to peel back that photo, while they are doing that pocket their card, so you can hand them the deck and show them its gone.

Even better if you do it to a friend's poster, so it looks like a random poster.

Final thoughts: Well... I really did not want to talk about drama related topics..... But sadly I thought these 2 were necessary. The last thing I want to do is add gasoline to the fire. I know someone might tweet or dm this on Instagram to all 4 of them, I doubt it though. If that does happen and any of them have problems please tell me and I will proudly take this down.
I hopefully will be doing this for awhile. Maybe one day it will be a newsletter but Idk. Ill try to get some magicians to interview, not sure if anyone will be interested though.

AND I PROMISE NEXT WEEK WILL NOT BE DRAMA RELATED!!!!!!!!!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I honestly would really like this to continue, maybe a bit more condensed though? Probably due to all the "Drama" going on. I'm gonna just repeat what I said in our conversation:
1 thing I hate about the magic community is that people are just looking to jump on top of their colleagues whenever possible. And it doesn't help that every other person on the internet takes everything as personally offensive. People just need to chill about stuff and fix their problems like normal humans... Did this stuff type of stuff go on (in the magic community) like before 10 or 20 years ago too?

I totally would like to applaud Mr.Sankey though. He was truly the bigger man. In his newsletter, he also stated that the stuff he was referring to was the halfbaked and unflowing cardistry videos, but also stated that it was pure ignorance that tweeted that tweet. Furthermore he made sure EVERYONE received that email. But best of all, I am glad that he took responsibility for what he said, and didn't just make it seem like it was an accident.

As for the Facebook stuff, I'm not gonna even take sides. Jibrizy messed up and didn't admit it, Rick over reacted and randomly accused people of stuff they didn't do and said some random s***, Chris brought attention to stuff that wasn't necessary and tried to get the last word (or at least that's what it looked like). Both Chris and Rick made good points, but both were also at fault. CAN PEOPLE JUST CALM DOWN ABOUT IT? IT WASN'T AS BIG OF A DEAL AS IT LOOKED. Seriously though, it's like watching toddlers argue over who's dad can beat up who's dad. Smh

Anyways,

The Side Steal & Multiple Shift books are great! I have them in Revolutionary Card Technique, and everything is so in depth.

As for that Poster thing: You have just given me a brilliant Idea. There is a major marketed effect out there, and anyone who owns it will recognize how powerful this can be. I'm not gonna give the name openly just because I don't want to expose it.

The weekly force reveal is a great idea!

Let me know if I can help with this!

NO MORE DRAMA NEXT TIME lol

Reactions: 010rusty

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Did this stuff type of stuff go on (in the magic community) like before 10 or 20 years ago too?
I've been in the community for almost 5 or 6 years as long as I can remember, yes. I remember the whole he said she said situation when criss angel jumped out of a moving car.
People used to say houndini used stooges to escape a Russian prison, so he even filed a slander case calling out a news reporter! After a long court case Houdini called the judge to the back and told him how he actually did it. Supposedly he lifted up his pant leg to show a metal knee cap used to snap the handcuffs in half. The judge returned and told the jury that no stooges were used to escape the prison.

In fact Houdini wrote a book calling out his IDOL, Robert houndin! (The guy he named himself after) The book, unmasking Robert houdin. trashes Houdini's idol and is pretty harsh.
So yeah, that's what the community has and always will be full of hatred imo.... it is sad.....
But agree with everything you said about the fued.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I've been in the community for almost 5 or 6 years as long as I can remember, yes. I remember the whole he said she said situation when criss angel jumped out of a moving car.
People used to say houndini used stooges to escape a Russian prison, so he even filed a slander case calling out a news reporter! After a long court case Houdini called the judge to the back and told him how he actually did it. Supposedly he lifted up his pant leg to show a metal knee cap used to snap the handcuffs in half. The judge returned and told the jury that no stooges were used to escape the prison.

In fact Houdini wrote a book calling out his IDOL, Robert houndin! (The guy he named himself after) The book, unmasking Robert houdin. trashes Houdini's idol and is pretty harsh.
So yeah, that's what the community has and always will be full of hatred imo.... it is sad.....
But agree with everything you said about the fued.
Hmm. It's weird because that stuff didn't seem to happen during the middle era of magic (with the likes of Marlo, Hugard, Professor Vernon, etc. revolutionizing magic), or at least I can't find any records of it happening. People seemed to be working together.

It's Sad really. You don't see this type of stuff going on too much in other entertainment industries. Sure athletes get in feuds, rappers get in beefs, Kanye says stupid stuff, etc., but there is always some level of respect amongst people. And NO ONE calls out others the way we are seeing happen in the magic industry.

Jul 28, 2015
Hmm. It's weird because that stuff didn't seem to happen during the middle era of magic (with the likes of Marlo, Hugard, Professor Vernon, etc. revolutionizing magic), or at least I can't find any records of it happening. People seemed to be working together.

It's Sad really. You don't see this type of stuff going on too much in other entertainment industries. Sure athletes get in feuds, rappers get in beefs, Kanye says stupid stuff, etc., but there is always some level of respect amongst people. And NO ONE calls out others the way we are seeing happen in the magic industry.
This has always been happening in magic especially during the Marlo, Vernon etc. era... we were discussing phantoms at the card table not long ago, most of the book is about this very subject...

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
It is pretty odd.... I've always tried to find out why. I always just figured we all have differing opinions on magic. Like criss Angel's view vs. someone like Justin Miller's view. Plus in magic we have mentalist, illusionist, cardist, close up, stage, etc. I guess it is bound to have people disagree and start an argument....

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It is pretty odd.... I've always tried to find out why. I always just figured we all have differing opinions on magic. Like criss Angel's view vs. someone like Justin Miller's view. Plus in magic we have mentalist, illusionist, cardist, close up, stage, etc. I guess it is bound to have people disagree and start an argument....
There's a difference between arguments and whatever the hell this is. This Drama is more of a flame war between 2 - 3 people which has ignited various flame wars for no apparent reason.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results