Wand street journal 9/2/17

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Welcome to this weeks addition of the wand street journal. Your weekly (mostly) unbiased magic news paper(without drama this week!).

American Television Superstar,David Blaine, performs magic for victims of Hurricane Harvey.
161115_ntl_david_blaine1_16x9_992.jpg

These past Few days truly have been difficult for the town of Houston, due to the fact that The Gulf Coast has been hit with one of the most dangerous Hurricanes in recent memory. Many are pitching in and trying to do all they can to be helpful. One of these is the star of ABC's famous street magic specials, David Blaine. The award winning magician performed multiple effects to the police, the guards, and even the Victims themselves.
David uploaded one performance to his Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYgjt2NhEYH/.
Another performance was filmed with a cellphone camera and uploaded to their account:
Many of these videos are surfacing on the internet.
David is performing his usual string of effects to these relatively small crowds in an attempt to cheer them up. David is no stranger to trying to cheer people up in times of need. Some will recall the time he stopped in Lower Manhattan,at a local Steakhouse, to entertain almost 800 people involved in the 2012 Hurricane. Many will even remember when he cheered up war victims in Jerusalem.
David will always come in to help out those who need help. He will be there in the darkest of times, and bring you the light.

Late magician, Tony Slydini, has 116th birthday!
"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die"-Babe Ruth. This wise quote from MLB legend, could not be more true in the magic community. Tony Slydini may be passed but we should still celebrate his birthday. The great slight of hand artist was born on September 1st 1901. and turned 116 Friday.
Many acclaimed magicians will agree at how great of a magician he truly was. He was an inspiration to many, and will continue to inspire all those who come across the works of this legend.

Product of the week: Zodiac(https://store.theory11.com/products/zodiac)
This week marks the 10th anniversary of Theory11's creation. To celebrate this they have publish an effect that has been under the works for the majority of those 10 years. It is quite possibly one of the most well appraised book test of all time. This is the book test Spidey used when he performed on P&T Fool Us(
). This release also came with the release of a new T-shirt which is in the gear section.

Cool find: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playing-Car...129716?hash=item3d46b2d374:g:60EAAOSw2b1ZpBlS This week Cool find is a deck lot of 3 decks. 2 are Ellusionist decks, and 1 is a David Blaine. All 3 decks have been considered one of the greatest decks of all time, so all 3 for one price should be a steal! ( I have no connection to the seller nor do I gain a profit)

Performance of the week: This really made me think what should be performance of the week. After a long thought I just had to give this one to Chris Ramsay. www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36PbFfJY6I&t (around 1:44) in his performance he runs across 2 coincidences that are amazing and I'm so happy it was caught on camera.

Non official hall of fame: Tony Slydini. His work has and always will inspire us.

Weekly print-out:
upload_2017-9-2_23-12-38.png

This is a take on the classic torn and restored napkin and Jay Sankey's classic miss-made monopoly bill. It is perfect for school.
Set up:Crumble up the miss-made Index card and palm it. Pull out the regular index card
Patter and performance:
"Many magicians say the props you use describe you. Which is why many will use fancy props. (
look at Index card) Well, this is imported Chinese paper so I guess its close enough." and tear it. Ball the torn up pieces.You must now switch the pieces. Hold the balled up pieces in the dominant hand, and the Miss made card in the Non-dominant hand. Do a false transfer (thumb retention, put and take etc. if you do not want to, you can switch them while you pretend to ball up the pieces.). Now reach in your pocket and ditch the torn pieces and pull out a sharpie. Hand them the sharpie and let them sign it. "That way I cannot switch the pieces'' (although you already have.)

Weekly idea: This is a false Knot for rubber bands. Put your pointer and middle finger of both hands inside the rubber band. stretch the band all the way out. twist the rubber band. add your thumbs into the the 2 holes of the rubber band and stretch the band once again. Pull the fingers through and grab the closest strand. and pull it through. (hopefully I'll have a video tutorial up soon)

Obviously this is an idea. Not a full effect. It can be used to boost your Torn and restored rubber band effects. Like:
(3:34) What you will do is right after the rip. say you will restore the band, and then tie the false knot. Pretend to hide it. When they point it out show it, and hand it to them and let them undo it.
I was extremely tired when I made the tutorial so forgive me. I'm sorry if it seems really unprofessional, but I tried. I don't have any illustrations so that is pretty bad.

Final thoughts: I hope you guys enjoyed this week. I was extremely exhausted throughout the last half so, I'm sorry if it is sloppy, but I really wanted to meet the Saturday deadline. I hope you guys enjoy and feed back (even negative, is heavily appreciated)

Here are the last 2:

https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/wand-street-journal-8-26-17.48825/#/post-466576 https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/wand-street-journal.48751/#/post-466150

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
*UPDATES*
I would like to to give some updates regarding this week.

More videos are emerging of David Blaine's performances at Houston

Speaking of Which, the first video shot by a cell phone camera has double the views since I posted this thread! I want to give around of applause to everyone who shared this video and watched it. It makes me happy to see the spike in views after just a day! I want as many people as possible to see this great act of kindness.

Here is a tutorial of the false knot:
Sorry, this was my first tutorial. If you have feed back (even if it is negative) I really want to hear it.

More on the crazy handcuff idea :

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
That false knot is fire. The Crazy Man's Handcuffs variation is sooooo visual. I would've sworn that there was a giant rubber band at then end, where you fused the 2 together.

Another Idea, you as one spectator to hold one end, and the other spectator to hold the other end. Then a third spectator is actually told to grip the knot tightly and pull, and the rubber band is untied. I would do something like make the audience step back a bit and make it disappear naturally.

Here is a fusing rubber band idea to do with the crazy man's hand cuffs. Pull out one black rubber band and one other colored rubber band. do the Crazy man's handcuffs (the black one is actually the same color as the first one, but it is black because it has been completely Sharpied. Have a third band in your pocket. This 3rd band should be the same color as the non-black band, but half of it should be colored with a Sharpie. On the off beat as you talk, scrunch up the 2 bands and scrunch up the double colored band and clip it with your thumb and palm (from your pocket). Do a shuttle pass, and ditch the 2 original bands. Make the false knot, and then use the in the hand's method to "fuse the 2 rubber bands together". You can then put it in your pocket for an instant reset, or hand it out as a souvenir, and keep extras in your pocket.

1 thing I don't like though is the whole shoulder thing. I think it is much more powerful if the knot disappears leaving one continuous rubber band. Spectators will probably figure out that there was a false knot on one rubber band and you just loaded the other, and this might take away from Crazy Man's Handcuffs. Not to mention it will probably fall off.

Reactions: 010rusty

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
That false knot is fire. The Crazy Man's Handcuffs variation is sooooo visual. I would've sworn that there was a giant rubber band at then end, where you fused the 2 together.

Another Idea, you as one spectator to hold one end, and the other spectator to hold the other end. Then a third spectator is actually told to grip the knot tightly and pull, and the rubber band is untied. I would do something like make the audience step back a bit and make it disappear naturally.

Here is a fusing rubber band idea to do with the crazy man's hand cuffs. Pull out one black rubber band and one other colored rubber band. do the Crazy man's handcuffs (the black one is actually the same color as the first one, but it is black because it has been completely Sharpied. Have a third band in your pocket. This 3rd band should be the same color as the non-black band, but half of it should be colored with a Sharpie. On the off beat as you talk, scrunch up the 2 bands and scrunch up the double colored band and clip it with your thumb and palm (from your pocket). Do a shuttle pass, and ditch the 2 original bands. Make the false knot, and then use the in the hand's method to "fuse the 2 rubber bands together". You can then put it in your pocket for an instant reset, or hand it out as a souvenir, and keep extras in your pocket.

1 thing I don't like though is the whole shoulder thing. I think it is much more powerful if the knot disappears leaving one continuous rubber band. Spectators will probably figure out that there was a false knot on one rubber band and you just loaded the other, and this might take away from Crazy Man's Handcuffs. Not to mention it will probably fall off.

WOW, those ideas are genius!

As for the shoulder thing, I do see where you are coming from. I don't know I've always been a big fan of having the final phase be in plain sight the whole time. To me it adds an extra something. But as you said it may not be very reliable.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
WOW, those ideas are genius!

As for the shoulder thing, I do see where you are coming from. I don't know I've always been a big fan of having the final phase be in plain sight the whole time. To me it adds an extra something. But as you said it may not be very reliable.
Thanks!

I would keep the shoulder thing if there was a way to keep the audience still. Like, if I was doing it with a ring, such as Justin Miller's Divorce, I would have to make sure that they stay still, but I do it naturally in presentation, since I am actively engaging them and telling them to be still through it. Maybe dropping the band in their pocket? Or looping it around something?

Reactions: 010rusty
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results