Wand Street Journal 9/9/17

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Welcome to this weeks edition of the wand street Journal. Your weekly (Mostly) Non-biased magic newspaper.

Sorry for being very late. Irma, laptop stopped working, and many things have kept me sidetracked.

Magician Justin Willman begins Filming Netflix reality show.
upload_2017-9-10_19-9-14.png

Netflix is no stranger to branching out. As given by their new "magic reality show" Starring Cupcake Wars star, Justin Willman. Justin Willman Is most notable for his performances on Conan, Ellen, and Disney's Suite life on deck. He had announced some time back that he would be doing a show for Netflix.,Not a Whole lot has been made public, but According to the Instagram account, of Mr. Willman the online streaming service has In fact begun filming. So, it seems that the show is official and we should be hearing more soon. You can look forward to this in the near future.
Although not much is known, I plan on keeping you informed on all incoming info.

All magicians eliminated from Agt.
Well, in most talent shows the winner is either a singer, dancer, or some cool strange talent. Sadly, it seems this has happened once again, as coin magician Eric Jones was eliminated this Wednesday. Making all magic acts eliminated from AGT. Some may argue Collin Cloud uses Cold reading techniques therefore is a magician/mentalist. He however never claims to be a magician so I am not going to give him a title he does not want. I would like to applaud Eric for his work, and although I personally do not watch the show often, I enjoyed his performances.

NFL, and AGT star, Jon Dorenbos, will be undergoing heart surgery
mj-618_348_the-magic-of-the-long-snapper.jpg

In modern media it is not very uncommon to see at least one magician in the mix. The NFL is no different with their slight of hand star star, Jon Dorenbos. He is most notable for his performances on AGT.
This long snapper was traded From the Philadelphia Eagles To the New Orleans Saints. Sadly It was determined he had a heart disease. Known as aortic aneurysm. It was noticed by a doctor during his Physical for the trade and according to the NFL "basically saved his life with his findings." He will under go a surgery to repair his heart. It seems the saints have signed a new long snapper to replace him, and with the season under way it seems the center will most likely miss the season

(Shout out to @Maaz Hasan for info on this story)

Hurricane Irma dangers magicians in the gulf area.
Okay, Honesty hour. I know I make the joke "I'm from the greatest place ever L.A.............. Lower Alabama", But I actually live in the middle area of Alabama. However, Huricane Irma seems to be heading in my direction. Many fellow magicians below us have already faced it, and my prayers are with them. Including Floridian magicians like Card trick teacher, Pigcake, and many others. I hope all those included in this tragedy will be okay, as we are a community who actually care about each other.

Product of the week:
(I have n0 connection to the seller, nor do I gain a profit) Yes, I know Dan Harlan's newest Tarbell lesson is pretty good, and I know I'll get plenty of hate, but I have to give this weeks product of the week to Bizzaro and his new T-shirt ( https://www.facebook.com/BizzarotheOI/posts/10155545142772667) I am being Biased I know, considering he is my favorite magician of all time, and I've said on multiple occasions that is my favorite quote of all time.
I really love magic T-shirts. They look nice on video, and great at conventions! I've tried to make one using quotes before, like Eugene Burger's "Everyone wants to change, but no one wants to do anything differently.'' So I am very glad to see this product.
Plus you can even tell him 010Rusty sent you;),
(even though he doesn't know me.......)

Cool Find: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Amm...559299?hash=item238d3ed003:g:SFAAAOSwglZZb32T
These are autographed lecture notes from Michael Ammar. And to be honest the autograph alone may be worth the purchase.
I actually bought an autographed copy of The magic of Michael Ammar for about 20$ on eBay, which included some workshop notes. I felt bad, because I kept it to myself. So this is will make up for it........................................Hopefully (I do not have a connection to the seller, nor do I gain a profit)

Performance of the week: I have Never had a more difficult time picking a winner. From Chris Ramsay's Engineer lucky break, to Eric Jones AGT finale, and Jeff McBride's P&T Fooler performance, I had to give it to Kevin Li(
) Although he failed to fool them, his use of giving the cards meanings was amazing, and even brought Teller to tears. It
truly was one of the greatest of all time.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-10_23-17-43.png
    upload_2017-9-10_23-17-43.png
    706.3 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Maaz Hasan

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Weekly print out: View attachment 3239
Yes, this is a much more obvious reveal than I like. But, I thought I'd change it up. It is based off of my KFC reveal. So, its the same idea. Print this and glue it to an old gift card or membership card. (You can refer to the first wand street journal for more info).

A simple routine is:
"This is my favorite trick, I am so confident I will bet money! (reach in your wallet) ehh.... Did I say money I meant STORE CREDIT (lift the gift card in the air). That's right I'm betting 15 dolla- wait I got hungry on the drive home last night..... I'm betting 4 dollars!" Have them hold out their hand and place an incorrect prediction card on it and put the gift card on top. Force the J♠ using a force where you can't see their card. Then,
Get the prediction wrong
"Well.... um...... Tada I made 4$ disappear! I am a man of my word, so it is yours. But I would like to mention the best part of the gift card. The 2 odd symbols on the feathers above the chicken. They are so weird........"

Don't worry the patter is still a work in progress.

Weekly idea: I should explain what this segment even is. The ideas featured in the wand street journal should spark your imagination and maybe even form into full routines. They are short ideas included with larger ideas that you can run with.

This weeks idea is very simple. All you need is a Dum-Dum pop . For reference these:
blue-raspberry-dum-dum-pops-icon.jpg

Very simple, Eat the candy portion and leave the wrapper. Now fold a dollar or card in the shape of the candy and place it on the stick where the candy was. and put the wrapper back on to make it look like a regular Dum-Dum. Now you have an amazing reveal. For a vanishing dollar, or a force reveal"

Routine #1:
(using a dollar)
This is based off of a classic idea called "candy that pays for itself"
You walk into a store and get a bag of Dum-Dums. You have the one with money in it palmed in your hand and walk up the the cash register and after they give you the total price look panicked and say "uhhh... that's more than I expected, but I know what to do!" open the bag of Dum-Dums with the one with money palmed in your hand, and pretend to retrieve it from the bag. "you know, this company likes to hide prizes in some of these" Open it up to reveal a $5 bill and hand it to them

Routine #2:
(using a forced card)
"Most professional magicians carry big expensive wands on them, however TSA apparently doesn't want me to be professional, so this Dum-Dum Should do" Pull out a Svengali deck "as I riffle down stick the Dum-Dum in." Show them the forced card. And place the deck in your pocket, case, school bag or something with a one way force deck of a different card already there "I can tell by looking in your eyes that your card is (insert incorrect prediction)" they say no "Wait, what!?!? Are you serious!?!?" Reach in your pocket and pull out the one way force deck. "Literally every card is the (insert that card here)!!!! Maybe you simply saw that card some where else. You know, you've been holding that Loli pop this Whole time. Open it up for me. When they do they will find the card forced from the Svengali deck.

I am working on a routine called candy store so stay tuned.

Finale thoughts:
I am working on getting some professionals to interview, so if any of you out there are interested please tell me. Please give me all feed back, you can think of. Especially Negative. It is always appreciated.

Here are the previous issues:
https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/wand-street-journal-9-2-17.49002/
https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/wand-street-journal-8-26-17.48825/#/post-466576https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/wand-street-journal.48751/#/post-466150

P.s. after typing all that it was too long.... So it is 2 separate post on the same thread

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Nice!
1 suggestion I have is that you could maybe use the hyperlink feature when posting URLs, ad opposed to having them in their raw form. It'll clean things up a bit.

To everyone who is effected by Harvey, Irma, and all the other hurricanes out There; Stay safe guys! Wishing you the best!

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Nice!
1 suggestion I have is that you could maybe use the hyperlink feature when posting URLs, ad opposed to having them in their raw form. It'll clean things up a bit.

To everyone who is effected by Harvey, Irma, and all the other hurricanes out There; Stay safe guys! Wishing you the best!

Yeah, that's probably a lot brttter.....

Not sure why I did not think of it......

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results