Wanting something new... but what?

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
I have been doing magic for just a few months and I am looking to buy a couple of effects/tricks. I don't want anything TOO complicated just yet. I am trying to biuld up a few different effects to create a decent routine to get me going. I can do a fairly good ACR routine, and two or three other things with cards. I am considering the 'Invisible deck' but I was just wondering if it is worth buying, or can you do the effect with normal cards? is it suitible for people fairly new to magic?

Due to my routine been mainly cards at the moment I want something different so I am also thinking about purchasing 'the raven', what is this effect like for someone new to magic?

I am after effects that aren't too complicated just now. Please don't get me wrong, I am putting in the work in order to perfect the effects I know, but I am keen to not 'run before I can walk' if you know what I mean.

Any help would be great thanks.

Brendan

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Been there, done a few mistakes ;)

You're right not wanting to for too hard just yet. Doing hard stuff does not necessarily mean higher impact: the Invisible Deck trick (gimmicked version) is easy as pie and will get you incredible reactions and a sometimes needed out.

I would also advise you to diversify your magic: you only speak about cards, but really, if you ever want to do commercial magic, you should learn something else, like coins or sponge balls (real laymen killer stuff). You are fairly new to magic, so don't rush things, take your time.

Learn, perform with different props, reflect on your performance, experiment with your own style, fix your flaws and you'll know what material you need (it might not be trick, it might be theory on showmanship!)

PS: Don't go for the raven. It's bound to go in your drawer. I'd advise to buy the Bobo's treatise on Coin magic which is really cheap or the Eric Jones' Metal volume 1 if you have enough money (really worth it).
As a begginer, don't buy ANY 1 trick DVD/gimmick. Buy compilations or props (coins, spongeballs, ropes...)

Hope that helps,

Jérôme

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I'm mainly into cards at the moment as I am still learning. I am currently working my way through the Royal road...and I have Bobo's modern coin magic to go at next.

I definately need to work on my nerves though. Did an ACR today at short notice without much warning and really messed it up to start with because of the nerves. I shuffled his card into the deck and lost it! Ha ha ha! I had no option but to admit I had messed up and started again....luckily he was amazed at what I managed to do with my ACR...especially as I did the Card to pocket, he loved it. My hands were very shakey though. lol.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Get the invisible deck. No question on that one.

How about Card College Light, Lighter or Lightest? They have great routines without a lot of sleights. The effects are strung together so that you have a ready made routine. You can use those to get over the shakes (which are more related to performing than using difficult sleights). Also, Scarne on Card tricks is a great (and inexpensive) book of self-working material. You can use either of those two books to give you effects to perform while you are working though Royal Road. Another good (and inexpensive) book in Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am going to echo Reality One's thoughts.

Get the Invisible Deck for sure....you will fry layman with it and once you have it down you'll carry it with you always. It makes for an easy out if needed as well if one of your other card effects goes wrong and you need to recover.

I started out with the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks book as well and it has TONS of great effects for card workers.

I've owned the Raven and it immediately went into my drawer after one or two other performances. Other members here will say it is a must have item so that is up to you.

If you want something non cards, but easy still...purchase a Quadraflex bill. It is very easy to use and I use mine EVERY gig I go to. You can have it down practicing in front of a mirror in about 20 minutes.

Do you do anything with Rubber bands yet? You can pick up a DVD like Touch and perform fairly easy rubber band things.

Jun 1, 2009
Rubber band magic goes over really well with laymen. Crazy Man's handcuffs is a must, and Touch has some of the most visual stuff for bands. Dan Harlan also has a DVD on rubber band magic.

Invisible Deck: Again yes

I'm not really going to agree with not buying a 1 trick DVD/gimmick. If the gimmick is versitle enough (like Twizted by Eric Jones) then it would be worth it. However, there are some one trick DVDs that do hit really hard like Panic by Aaron Fisher. Blows people away. Just see what's in your price range, and in the long run it will probably be better to buy DVDs with a variety of effects on it.

Books are also very good to have. Carnycopia by John Carney, Williamson's Wonders by David Williamson, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in magic, and The Paper Engine (a little harder though) by Aaron Fisher are all great books full of fantastic stuff. I'm sure the more experienced members here can point you to other classics as well.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
If you are wanting to stick with cards and stay on an inexpensive scale (meaning about ten bucks) I would go with Royal Road to Card Magic. If that is too beginner for you there is also Expert Card Technique. Jason England has a FREE video download on the books he recommends with cards and most of them are offered as Dover reprints for less than ten bucks.

Granted, this is the post to save money and still get some great bang for your buck.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
cheers guys, this is all really helping. Just ordered my Invisible deck and DVD now. Reading up on it it would have been a great out for when I lost the spectators card. lol. The good thing about this kind of mistake is that I know what I need to work on, but it was still disappointing.

Jan 11, 2011
I'm going to have to side with Jacob on Williamson's Wonders. His torn and restored transpo is worth the price of the book alone, and you also learn his killer cups and balls and 51 cards to pocket. Pure gold, and a worker's dream.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
Well...my invisible deck came today along with a less expensive version of the raven that I saw so added to my order, it was only a couple of pounds so I figured why not....found somthing else in my package too....some free Loops. BONUS! sadly I'm, at work tonight and will be in bed tomorrow so I won't get a chance to have a play around until tomorrow night!!! GUTTED! lol.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results