Wayne leaving theory11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2007
On the Magic Cafe, someone stated that the latest issue of Genii Magazine, includes an interview with Wayne Houchin where he states that he is leaving / has left Theory11. Does anyone have that issue in order to confirm that? Or can someone from Theory11 comment on this?

Thanks.

On the Magic Cafe, someone stated that the latest issue of Genii Magazine, includes an interview with Wayne Houchin where he states that he is leaving / has left Theory11. Does anyone have that issue in order to confirm that? Or can someone from Theory11 comment on this?

Thanks.
i dunno, the best i can say is hit J:B on his PM and ask him......i guess that would be the main source.

Jan 28, 2009
hope that he wont leave, it would be too pity for him...

I can't say that I blame him. Lets look at the facts here. Theory11 was launched with this amazing mission statement, to improve the quality of instruction in the magic community. It launched with a few magicians handling of existing effects (distortion, Slippery Sam -coughs- I mean digital dissolve etc.) And some true gems of originality, such as Panic. It then launched its one on one section, where you were exposed to people like Chris Kenner, Aaron Fisher etc doing some great effects with some great teaching, but often at a somewhat high price.

Has Theory11 changed the standard of teaching in magic? not really. Is it underground? NO! The second you start shipping tricks that are performed by people like David Blaine, you aren't trying to appeal to the underground, you're appealing to kids that watch his magic specials.

Basically, it wouldn't surprise me if some more 'underground' (whatever the heck that means) people started to leave the site!

May 4, 2009
All I know is that he seems to be releasing his next project with ellusionist.
Oh well we will see, at least he is not gone for good.. ;)

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I can't say that I blame him. Lets look at the facts here. Theory11 was launched with this amazing mission statement, to improve the quality of instruction in the magic community. It launched with a few magicians handling of existing effects (distortion, Slippery Sam -coughs- I mean digital dissolve etc.) And some true gems of originality, such as Panic. It then launched its one on one section, where you were exposed to people like Chris Kenner, Aaron Fisher etc doing some great effects with some great teaching, but often at a somewhat high price.

Has Theory11 changed the standard of teaching in magic? not really. Is it underground? NO! The second you start shipping tricks that are performed by people like David Blaine, you aren't trying to appeal to the underground, you're appealing to kids that watch his magic specials.

Basically, it wouldn't surprise me if some more 'underground' (whatever the heck that means) people started to leave the site!

OCW,

One look at our mission statement and a quick peek at every product we've released in the last 2 years would show that not only do we stand by it, but we practice exactly what we preach.

Regarding the "1-on-1 section, where you are exposed to people like Chris Kenner, Aaron Fisher etc doing some great effects with some great teaching, but often at a somewhat high price" - we breed quality over quantity, and we believe that high-end instruction from the best minds in this industry is quite a bargain at $4.95 (average price).

In years past, this level of artistic interaction with the next generation of magicians was not only difficult to achieve, but usually never existed outside of conventions and gatherings. In the last month alone, you've seen releases from Homer Liwag, Jason England, and Dan Sperry - with a megawatt project from Daniel Garcia unveiled this Friday. We burn the midnight oil every day of the week.

Here, you not only learn but you have the chance to personally interact with these artists in the forums, products, contests, interviews, roundtable discussions, and even Artist Diary vids. If you don't notice that, if you don't think that is unique and so so special - you are mistaken. It's something we take great pride in and constantly try to improve and advance.

Back to the point of this post though - yes, as I believe mentioned before, Wayne is currently focusing on his own personal video projects and as such we wish him the best. Wayne is an incredible talent chuck-full of ideas, so I trust you shall be seeing some goodies from him soon. Word.

ocw,

one look at our mission statement and a quick peek at every product we've released in the last 2 years would show that not only do we stand by it, but we practice exactly what we preach.

Regarding the "1-on-1 section, where you are exposed to people like chris kenner, aaron fisher etc doing some great effects with some great teaching, but often at a somewhat high price" - we breed quality over quantity, and we believe that high-end instruction from the best minds in this industry is quite a bargain at $4.95 (average price).

In years past, this level of artistic interaction with the next generation of magicians was not only difficult to achieve, but usually never existed outside of conventions and gatherings. In the last month alone, you've seen releases from homer liwag, jason england, and dan sperry - with a megawatt project from daniel garcia unveiled this friday. We burn the midnight oil every day of the week.

Here, you not only learn but you have the chance to personally interact with these artists in the forums, products, contests, interviews, roundtable discussions, and even artist diary vids. If you don't notice that, if you don't think that is unique and so so special - you are mistaken. It's something we take great pride in and constantly try to improve and advance.

Back to the point of this post though - yes, as i believe mentioned before, wayne is currently focusing on his own personal video projects and as such we wish him the best. Wayne is an incredible talent chuck-full of ideas, so i trust you shall be seeing some goodies from him soon. Word.

Megawatt project of Danny G!:D

I was recently at the T11 HQ and saw some of the upcoming DG stuff - they make me clean the pool every tuesday, monday/thursday is lawn and bathrooms - and I can attest to the fact that T11 is really striving to bring some new thoughts, methods, and plots to magic and there's no denying that Danny is a great thinker not only of plot but also methodology and what he has coming up will make you slap your forehead.

...yeah tried to come up with a better way to end that but its still too early for me, they had me up all night scraping the gunk from inbetween every piece of tile

D

Deleted member 2755

What Wayne does is his own business. If he wishes to go out on his own, then I wish him the best and so should everyone else.

-Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2008
I don't really want to diss Theory11 or get crazy off topic, but Dan was kind of wrong there lol. How often do we see a new PLOT in magic, let alone a new METHOD to an old plot today with all these DVDs coming on the market every day? SOOOO much is old news and doesn't get me excited anymore because it's just another thing I can most likely find in a book that is most likely on my shelf right now.

What Wayne does is his own business. If he wishes to go out on his own, then I wish him the best and so should everyone else.

-Doug

(Completley agree)^2
Theory11 is underground because this site is not mainstream as j.b said on one of his round table discussions. There is a whole different magic community that focuses on bunnies, wands, and more. I also think that D+M pointed this out to before. We are underground, even if we do not know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 18, 2009
Well personally I really enjoy wayne's stuff, I haven't been disapointed by him yet. And if he decided to leave, that's his bussiness and we should wish him the best of luck.

As for one of the comments above, yeah sure a lot of the methods you may find in books but think of people and not only youself. Some people don't have books like that or even have the knowledge of the book's existance. And to other people, they are visual learners, as I am.

It's refreshing to have some personallity and fun learning instead of some people throwing the book at the wall because they can't figure out what the book is talking about.

And plus they have been a few VERY good ideas and methods that you probably wouldn't find in a book and IF you did, you would be searching for awhile.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Wayne leaving t11??
I don't really see how this affects us in a bad way.
You can still have the luxury of buying his projects from his website and e.

Does anybody like to think positive? This means that T11 could release a trick at the same time Wayne releases his effects. No more waiting on the hype.

Just think of it this way:
Say Theory11 releases 1 of their effects in a month.
Well, Wayne could release his effect while this project is being released, giving us more magic to pick and choose from. So in 1 month we could pick from 2 different effects released from the artists without so much wait.

If Wayne released with T11, then we'd be waiting probably another month or so for his released effect.
So we kinda benefit from it.

Jul 8, 2008
While it might sometimes be easier to learn from a book, you don't get the benefit with books. You get a much richer history and get to see what went through the author's mind and get a much better idea about what the effect is supposed to mean. And c'mon, if you can afford to pay $20-$50 for a one trick DVD, don't even say that you don't have the luxery of books. They are usually cheaper than the DVDs.

D

Deleted member 2755

Hmm Wayne gone?

I've got some thinking to do...

The thing that bugs me is where is the commitment?:( i though they would stick together and it's really disappointing...

Danny Garcia in my opinion is one of the smarter magicians for NOT just releasing with one company.

T11 is not just a family. It's a business. Believe it or not money IS involved. Chances are, Wayne can make more money on his own instead of working with a huge company. He has the fanbase to do it and has all of the tools necessary. So why wouldn't Wayne do it?

Anyway, is this really what the biggest topic on T11 is right now? Crying about the fact that we can't enjoy Wayne's DVDs from T11 anymore and we have to suffer by enjoying them by purchasing them through him? How about something that will actually benefit us as magicians rather than cry over the fact we have to appreciate Wayne's awesomenss with another company?

We'll enjoy Wayne's material on his own. This whole situation like saying if Adam Grace was coming out with a DVD with T11, I'd all of a sudden have to rethink all of my thoughts about E. Ridiculous.

Magicians release material not just to share them with the community. That's only part of it. The other part is $$$$$. For those that fail to realize that, I suggest you all take a step back and look at the big picture.

Normally I never end threads like this. Even so, I will in this case.

Let's get back to the magic.

-Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results