Wedding Reception Performance

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
So my brother's wedding is coming up in about two weeks, and hes asked me to perform at his reception. So I'm going to be performing at a table doing close-up, or doing walkaround table-hopping. So I already have one routine set, but I need another one.

So heres my first one.

A card is selected, then clipshift to change.

Biddle Trick

Play it Straight Triumph by John Bannon or .44 by DG (whichever I think will be best to perform at that time.)

Timeline 2.0 by DG

So if theres any card work that you guys would recommend that would be great.

I have Avenue, the Trilogy, Art of Magic, Five times Five Japan, and more that I dont feel like checking right now. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am doing a wedding reception as well in October. I just did a huge strolling / table hopping gig Saturday night.

I would not use just card effects. I had many people compliment me that I used rubber bands, money, mentalism effects and did not bore them with just cards.

Also...refer to yourself as an entertainer and not a magician.

Crazy man handcuffs, broken and restored, star gazer, are all great rubber band effects.

I also use a mismade dollar effect, Free Will (mentalism with 3 wooden discs and a prediction).

For cards I do a sloppy triumph, biddle, and stigmata.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I thought about that. So I'll stick that in my second routine. I was thinking about doing Jacob's ladder, but it will be out of place because everything else is going to be card material.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I also have a gig for a wedding in August the 29th. People say I should perform so I am trying to update my arsenal. For your question you need to check out Gypsy thread becuase thier will be candles. Good luck.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
french kiss is a good idea. Ring in string and any other ring work is a great theme in magic. Anniversary waltz is a great effect for new couples and Autograph is a great version of that trick. Bite Me by david stone is a killer effect when your wardrobe requires a jacket anyways, and a bottle of wine or champagne will be handy anyways. Flash paper is a great with the patter of a new relationship with passion and flame. Gypsy thread with the pieces of two lives becoming on long life together... pretty much anything you can do to maintain that motif or theme is always good.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
french kiss is a good idea. Ring in string and any other ring work is a great theme in magic. Anniversary waltz is a great effect for new couples and Autograph is a great version of that trick. Bite Me by david stone is a killer effect when your wardrobe requires a jacket anyways, and a bottle of wine or champagne will be handy anyways. Flash paper is a great with the patter of a new relationship with passion and flame. Gypsy thread with the pieces of two lives becoming on long life together... pretty much anything you can do to maintain that motif or theme is always good.

Wow. I totally forgot about flash paper. I really want to do a bottle production, but if I do, then I can't do one at every table. I could do a TNR and use the two lives becoming one long life together or whatever. But, thanks for the suggestions man!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Anniversary Waltz... I've heard stories where people actually cried at the end of the performance (this was at a wedding).

3 words, KEEP IT SIMPLE. yea we all like doing these tough tricks, but people like to see simple to follow easy tricks.
clipshift is cool, but so is an erdanase! just as good!.
you arent usually performing for magicians.

I do sponge balls (good xpeccially if there are kids there)
A simple pick a card, your card? no? well snap, there it is.
fork bending
a mentalism trick using bussiness cards
WOW! masuda

i might throw in another card trick there, like some kind of triumph or a remember a card forget a card routine.

they always kill

Oct 1, 2008
earth
im performing at a reception on the 21st and i have never done this before so I am confused on weather you are supposed to do an entire routine for one table, or just a quick trick per table?

well anyway, for my thing single tricks im doing are

biddle
acr
sandwich effects
siamese twins
french kiss
election

just tricks that are easy to moderate where I can focus on presentation just as much as the trick itself

Jun 1, 2009
Avenue is pretty much made for a walk around table situation. The effects are fairly simple and hit pretty hard. Finders Keepers is a personal favorite, the ending just gets great reactions. I also love Snap exchange, but all the effects are very solid on that DVD.

The few receptions at which I was hired to perform, I always did strolling work and/or table hopping magic to ensure everyone got to see a little bit of magic. It also acts as a good icebreaker between the bride's an groom's families. To be honest, I've never really seen a formal close-up show behind a table unless it was at a convention or tradeshow. I suppose it could work, but I think it would be more interactive if you strolled throughout the reception.

It's a wedding. You should make use of relatable props. Popular effects at weddings are Ring Flight or any of its variants, Anniversary Waltz, Linking Finger Rings, Floating Rose, Champagne/Wine Bottle Productions, Drink Productions, etc. Don't bore people with mundane card tricks all night. Diversify your material and make use of the environment.

RS.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Please do me a favor. If you do do any ring magic (which is a great idea), DONT use the bride or groom's ring. They don't want to take their rings off or have the chance someone is going to drop them etc. There are lots of other people with rings there.
:)

Please do me a favor. If you do do any ring magic (which is a great idea), DONT use the bride or groom's ring. They don't want to take their rings off or have the chance someone is going to drop them etc. There are lots of other people with rings there.
:)

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. That's always been exactly what I've done. It makes for a wonderful memory and photo-op when I link the bride's and groom's rings together. They actually appreciate the moment very, very much. In fact, when I was a best man for a wedding a few years ago, I performed the effect when I did my speech at the reception. The visual of the linked rings became the cover for the couple's wedding album.

It's agreed though-- if you decide to perform with the couple's rings, ensure you do so with delicacy and care.

RS.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
im performing at a reception on the 21st and i have never done this before so I am confused on weather you are supposed to do an entire routine for one table, or just a quick trick per table?

well anyway, for my thing single tricks im doing are

biddle
acr
sandwich effects
siamese twins
french kiss
election

just tricks that are easy to moderate where I can focus on presentation just as much as the trick itself

You want to put your effects into a routine and do about 3-4 effects per table. That is what I do. You'll never have time to do more than that at a BIG reception with over 200 people if you do more per table.

On the other hand....it looks sort of cheesy to do one or two tricks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results