Weekly Poll #2

Are one-effect DVD's a good thing/

• Total voters
Dec 30, 2008
First off I want to apologize for the absence of a poll last week, it completely slipped my mind.

Well, here is the question.

Are one-effect DVD's a good thing or a nuisance?

PLEASE explain why you answered the way you did! :D

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I personally think it depends on the trick, some tricks are amazing on their own and can fill up a routine. Also it means their is more time on the dvd for the artist to explain the trick in depth.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
It depends, some one trick DVDs will contain much more in depth teaching and you will learn more than if the effect was taught on a multiple trick DVD. Because they contain one trick, they should include more detail. Or you can buy a book.

Dec 30, 2008
I like what we have going so far, but we have 10 votes and only 2 people posting feedback! Come on! :D

May 12, 2009
I personally think it depends on the trick, some tricks are amazing on their own and can fill up a routine. Also it means their is more time on the dvd for the artist to explain the trick in depth.
i agree, it depends. some tricks are so great that they are worth one dvd
but then on the other hand, you can buy a one trick dvd for the same price of a dvd that has 20 tricks. i rather get the dvd on 20 tricks unless the one trick is a show stopper

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
like ajohnson and tally-ho said, it depends on the effect and whether or not you can actually use it in a routine or if it's a stand-alone effect that's super killer. If it has 1 trick on it, it shouldn't be just 20 minutes, it should be more like 40-60 minutes at least. Most 1 trick DVDs these days are 20 buck, so if you pay that much for a trick, you should have precise teaching and nothing less. It should have many applications that you can decide from, and could have more than 1 method. Personally, I don't like 1 trick DVDs that much, but it could also depend on personal preference. Hopefully this helps you all out that want to know this question. Good luck with your decisions!

-Perceptiv3CardMagic

At times a one effect DVD can be useful, but at other times it is a simple waste of money.

Some single-effect DVD's are needed because they need to cover a large amount of information in order for you to be able to perform that trick, or sometimes, the trick is just so amazing that 30$ is well worth it. For example, Stigmata is a single effect DVD that's well worth a thirty dollar fee. Because it has performances, advice, the method of the trick, thourough teaching, and also tells you how to perform three different variations on the same effect. another DVD like this might be Ellusionists, Crash Course 2- The Ambitous Card. This dVD covers tons upon tons of sleights, as well as performance theory and audiance management. The trick itself is so amazing that it is worth a fee.

But, other Single-effect DVD's are absolutely terrible and what they basically come down to is a waste of time and money. As I wrote that the very first DVD that popped into my head was Ellusionists: The Axis change. The trick itself looks very good in the preview, but in real life it could never be performed due to very knacky angles. The DVD has limited explanation and the trick itself is impractical for real life use. So this would mean that you would be throwing your money away for a DVD like this.

Dylan P.

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed that it really depends on the trick. Personally in my opinion, I find it hard to believe if it's really worth it just one trick on the dvd. I would thoughtfully search the product review and ask myself it is my style or not. I would have to say Panic is really worth it so far.

haha, I was one of the only people that said yes. Here's why:

For one, people know exactly what they're buying, so they can hand pick their own performances.

Also, I'm thinking in terms of a creator, not a buyer when I say the prices are so high because it stops youtube kids from wanting to reveal them as much.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I kind of agree with Tumble. I mean, The Tumbleweed.

If you're not satusfied with the effect, well you have no one to blame but yourself. As such, when buying a one effect dvd, you should have an idea of what's inside - and should have known whether it was worth it or not.

G

Dec 30, 2008
I agree with most everyone in here, I put "It depends" but I can see where both "yes" and "no" sides come from. You should know what your buying and the high prices do keep the youtube kiddies away!

I kind of agree with Tumble. I mean, The Tumbleweed.

If you're not satusfied with the effect, well you have no one to blame but yourself. As such, when buying a one effect dvd, you should have an idea of what's inside - and should have known whether it was worth it or not.

G

I agree with that first part, but not the second. Whether an effect is worth it or not is different with everybody.

Example: Pressure (or any magic trick). Post a poll asking whether people think it was worth it or not. I bet you'll get people saying it wasn't worth it, but they still bought it. That's because you don't know whether an effect is worth it or not because it's an opinion

Cheers, Tom

Apr 27, 2008
Norway

I agree with that first part, but not the second. Whether an effect is worth it or not is different with everybody.

Example: Pressure (or any magic trick). Post a poll asking whether people think it was worth it or not. I bet you'll get people saying it wasn't worth it, but they still bought it. That's because you don't know whether an effect is worth it or not because it's an opinion

Cheers, Tom

I meant 'worth it' as in - You should have known whether the effect would have worked for you before you bought it. You're not going to buy Pressure if you're allergic to balloon magic.

G

First off I want to apologize for the absence of a poll last week, it completely slipped my mind.

Well, here is the question.

Are one-effect DVD's a good thing or a nuisance?

PLEASE explain why you answered the way you did! :D
if the DVD teaches mutiple ways of using the effect then its good, but if nto, we should have bonus effects, that should be a must....unless this one effect is the one to end all...but more than likely bonuses is needed....

Dec 30, 2008
Alright so we've established, one trick DVD's are good as long as....

• The effect is AMAZING
  • There are multiple applications
  • Bonus effects are included
  • AND MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH IT!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results