Well this place has gone WAY down hill

Sep 1, 2007
It puzzles me...It really does. I don't know how this happened. But these forums are just filled fill of garbage now.

You have an idea for an effect, great! I'm so happy for you. Now why on earth must you post it in here every time you get one? If I have to read another "create a trick topic" or I had an idea about this, that, or the other thing, blood will shoot out of my eyes!

I mean this forum is like deja vu, Really, it is. Go read all the topics on this page, then go to page 5, ITS THE SAME THING!

There are more, "I made a trick topics" there is another "control topic" its just the same old thing, over and over. And I really, can't take it any more. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wanted to point out that this place is going down hill. And I use to come to this place all the time, but I now find my self coming here less and less. And I post this because maybe...just maybe someone will get it and stop posting rehash. Well thats it for me, enjoy your day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I half agree with you, but complaining about it wont fix it. We must show some of the members and teach them how to go about searching, and finding threads that already exist.

Some posters are simply over anxious and excited over new effects they've created, you can't blame them for that... but what comes next? We have to explain to them that they must test their effects for a while before it can really become something great.

Complaining and creating threads like this only adds to the so called "garbage".

Mitchell

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Hmm..
Were you expecting pefect forums?
Look at E for example. Superb Moderating, Great team.. And yet.. The pages seem to repeat themselves..

"NEW PRODUCT?"
"WHEN?"
Blah blah freaking blah..

I love these forums, And although i may not be on as much as i used to be.. I still get the helpful info.

Cheers.
Jordan Garet

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
It's like this with all boards. Well, mainly just this one and (e)...

There are a couple of good topics sometimes, but no nearly enough to call this a quality board. Where's Curtis when ya need him...

Oh and ah, all the doomsayers on the board? Exit stage left.

Ty

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
As a community, post quality is directly in the hands of each member, and as a large site, we've got lots of different members with lots of different views on what is important and what is interesting.

We also have constant posts from theory11 artists and some of the most respected names in the industry, allowing everyone to directly interact with and share ideas with those that are usually only found in the back room of a magic convention somewhere crazy in Vegas.

The best way for you to make sure what you think is interesting and important is talked about is to... drumroll... TALK about it. Forum content is created entirely by members, so the only way to make sure that what is being discussed is what appeals to oneself is to interact and interject and involve yourself in discussion.

So talk amongst yourselves, have fun and keep it interesting!

Katie Egleston

Nov 11, 2007
Texas
Why doesn't someone make a thread where everyone can post their ideas if they want to, like an idea showcase or something

Aug 31, 2007
California
I half agree with you, but complaining about it wont fix it. We must show some of the members and teach them how to go about searching, and finding threads that already exist.

Some posters are simply over anxious and excited over new effects they've created, you can't blame them for that... but what comes next? We have to explain to them that they must test their effects for a while before it can really become something great.

Complaining and creating threads like this only adds to the so called "garbage".

Mitchell

Sounds like what I was just about to... type?

Instead of posting threads complaining, how about you post threads that YOU would like to see on a forum such as this. Something helpful... something that stands out among the usual create a trick threads. This will inspire others to practice and study the topic or magic in general... allowing more and more people to LEARN and write these topics you are looking for.

I know that is what I try to do, maybe you should as well.

Keenan

Sep 4, 2007
We occasionally go through spasms of consternation concerning this over at E. There was a time when the redundant stuff, and the "stupid" stuff would routinely get moderated out of existence. However, two things occur to me:

1. Stupid to who? Who gets to set the stupid bar?

2. New people come on all of the time, and they want their fingerprint on some of these questions that come up all of the time. Take Criss Angel...please. Anyway, there are so many Criss Angel/David Blaine threads that it makes you want to cry, but most of the people posting in those threads did not get a chance to post in previous ones. They are not trying to be redundant, they just want the chance to get their voices heard.

So, I tell the guys that there is one simple rule of life, and that is that stupid threads die. They just get ignored and float off of the page. Any thread that has the stamina to stay on the front page must have the interest of enough users to keep it that way. A problem that springs from this, however, is that really good threads often get ignored in favor of the soup and salad threads...the ones that do not take a lot of energy to digest. The meaty ones get passed over, and I often think it is because people are too lazy to put the thought into them that it takes to make a decent post...so they skip over them. If you want to see seasoned magicians leave a board, then watch their hard, thought out posting get ignored in favor of "how many decks should I order for Christmas?"

Anyway, a little insight from Uncle Bob,

RJ

Happens in all Forums, not just magic Forums.

You just have to not click into the threads, or the moderators need to start locking the threads so members get an idea of the rules.

Also, to help the Forum to stop repeating its self, then you need to at least post something yourself.

Oct 13, 2007
Hey guys,

although I'm new on magic and on this site I want to spend some cents here...(I'm also new to english...not really, but it's still terrible ;))

If it aggravates you that much then leave. Simple as that.
No offence but if you have a problem then stop going here

I can't agree with thism and all other posts of this type. Yes, he could leave, but he wants to stay and change things for the better here...so maybe he's doing more than others. But I have to say, that in his post there are not really solutions...but it's a beginning.

As a community, post quality is directly in the hands of each member, and as a large site, we've got lots of different members with lots of different views on what is important and what is interesting.

We also have constant posts from theory11 artists and some of the most respected names in the industry, allowing everyone to directly interact with and share ideas with those that are usually only found in the back room of a magic convention somewhere crazy in Vegas.

The best way for you to make sure what you think is interesting and important is talked about is to... drumroll... TALK about it. Forum content is created entirely by members, so the only way to make sure that what is being discussed is what appeals to oneself is to interact and interject and involve yourself in discussion.

So talk amongst yourselves, have fun and keep it interesting!

Katie Egleston

And I can only half-agree with this post. Of course you're right, it's freakin awesome that some really famous and great magicians are around here and it...damn, my english, let's say...creates a lot of possibilities for new magicians.
And of course you're right too, if you say that the post quality is in the hands of the members...but, not only!
I think the Admins and Moderators in a forum are responsible for post and forum quality, too. I think this forum would be a lot better, if it was moderated more strictly. There are really 1000 post with same content or whats even worse: threads in wrong categiries and stuff like that...it's really annoying. These posts have to be deleted, closed or fused and meaningless titles should be changed.
I know...many of you guys like that atmosphere here...not like e and so on...but a ordinary forum enables a higher quality of the posts.

- muahzz

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It puzzles me...It really does. I don't know how this happened. But these forums are just filled fill of garbage now.

You have an idea for an effect, great! I'm so happy for you. Now why on earth must you post it in here every time you get one? If I have to read another "create a trick topic" or I had an idea about this, that, or the other thing, blood will shoot out of my eyes!

I mean this forum is like deja vu, Really, it is. Go read all the topics on this page, then go to page 5, ITS THE SAME THING!

There are more, "I made a trick topics" there is another "control topic" its just the same old thing, over and over. And I really, can't take it any more. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wanted to point out that this place is going down hill. And I use to come to this place all the time, but I now find my self coming here less and less. And I post this because maybe...just maybe someone will get it and stop posting rehash. Well thats it for me, enjoy your day.

Here's an idea: If something sucks in your opinion and you have the drive to see it different then do something about it. Complaining is useless without a solution.

There are some threads I read and others I completely ignore. If the topic is interesting it will usually stay on the first page for a few days. If it is a boring rehash of the same old garbage then it will quickly die off only to be occasionally bumped back to the top by someone posting: "Man can you quit posting garbage like this?".

When less people stop replying to the nonsense posts the more people will catch on that they are making useless posts instead of searching the forums for their answers. It is a learning process with some behavioral adaptation that takes time. After all this community is less than a year old and likely to experience large influx and change during the early stages.

The atmosphere around here is a bit more relaxed and as such you are going to see the repetitive posts and topics. Not saying it is good or bad, just different. Sometimes the community needs to police itself instead of waiting for someone else to do the job. If you want it to change then start with yourself by offering solutions instead of nothing more than gripes and complaints.

--Jim

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results