What a Break Taught Me...

For a good many months I had taken a break from magic as a whole. I had to concentrate on school and my filmmaking. I was hesitant about taking a break from magic because I thought I'd never feel the same way about it. I thought I'd wake up one day and throw away all of my books, DVDs, and gimmicks. In a way I was right. I don't think about magic the same way anymore, but I sure as hell don't want to part with my magic.

I see so many people on this forum and other forums with the aspirations of becoming the next David Blaine, Criss Angel, Wayne Houchin, etc. They put everything they have into their magic. They empty their wallets and stock up on unnecessary gimmicks and tricks. I recall when my wallet was constantly empty and the pile of magic on my floor grew and grew. I remember I was unable to get the thought of magic out of my mind. There were times when I would get into yelling matches with my parents about magic. And really, what did that accomplish?

I remember I'd go to internet forums and try to proclaim myself as better than I actually was. And why? To impress people sitting at their computers, just like me, halfway around the world? What purpose did that serve? It simply fed my ego. As I come back from this break I see this everywhere. I see mediocre magicians proclaiming themselves as the masters of their art. And yet, I also see the latter side of the picture becoming enraged over some little thing like... *drumroll*... the internet!

This is JUST a magic forum. Part of the large netscape that is the internet. A virtual reality that simply pulls in its users to entertain, educate, and escape. I came to internet forums to escape. And this break that I had taught me that it's just the internet. It doesn't matter what happens on an internet forum. Only I can make myself a better magician. Not in the virtual world that forums create.

So stop taking everything so damn seriously on this forum or any other forum for that matter (as well as the internet). No, a kid exposing tricks on Youtube will NOT destroy magic. It just makes him seem immature. No, calling other people on forums stupid will not make you stronger. ;)

Now I've probably strayed way off topic but I woke up this morning and felt the urge to write something like this.

UGHHHHHH! TIRED!

:)

Mitch

Sep 20, 2008
Good post. Should be stickied. =]

I'd enter my own story here, but im pretty sure a dozen others would so so as well, so i'll spare your eyes the strain and let your imagination run wild.

Sep 1, 2007
Hell, screw being like Blaine and Angel--I wanna be the next Ricky Jay.

But that's a good point you raise.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Lots of people see magic as something competitive. It's not a sport people! It doesn't matter if you're better or worse than someone else. Almost all of the people i perform for think i am the best magician in the world. They say stuff like "Screw David Blaine, this kid's the sh*t!"

May 8, 2008
England
Very true. The thing is that everyone will reply 'agreeing' to this thread, as I am now. In which case who are the magicians you refer to? Sorry, just my ramblings. :p

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great post. I think sometimes it is good for people to step away from something to "view" the rest of the world and stop with the tunnel vision.

Now...most professionals who are doing magic as a living and it is everything to them, will probably disagree with me. They live, eat, sleep, and breathe magic and are reading about it, talking about it, dreaming about it or performing 24 hrs a day.

Is this wrong? No, but I think to be a well rounded person you need to be aware of what else is going on in the world. Do other things in life. Work out, play a sport or instrument, be able to go somewhere and not "bust" out the deck of cards.

I am just now starting realize how much time and money magic is taking away from my family and need to back off a bit as well. I have to say, "OK, I have enough effects to do my paid gigs and I need to sell off the rest of the non used magic that just collects dust." Every once and awhile I can treat myself to something new but I need to stop with the impulsive buying just to have everything.

I will agree that there are a lot of people (mostly teens) who post on these forums and think that this is the place to build your ego and brag. Theory 11 is not the only place to learn magic. Go join an IBM ring...best thing I ever did to improve my magic and learn. I for one will tell you that I am 31 years old, do paid gigs, feel confident about myself, but in no way shape or form brag or think that I know everything. I have learned a lot and will continue to learn.

D

Deleted member 2755

Mitch, I miss you not posting as much on here. ;) Well welcome back to magic. :)

-Doug

Mitch, I miss you not posting as much on here. ;) Well welcome back to magic. :)

-Doug

Well I wouldn't say that I'm full fledged back into magic. But I'm slowly but surely picking up my cards and fiddling around with things. It's really more of a hobby right now and that's all I intend it to be. Though it doesn't mean I can't have fun doing it! :)

Mitch

P.S. Good to be back.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results