What are your favorite historical magic stories?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Basically what the title says, what are some of your favorite stories from the history of magic? I'm not writing a report or anything so they can be 100% confirmed or even ones that are potentially rumors or exaggerations (i.e. Maskelyne and WWII).

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for:

- Dai Vernon fooling Houdini
- Robert Houdin stopping a revolution
- Everything surrounding Erdnase
- The Phantom of the Card Table.
- Houdini's crusade against the spiritualism movement.
- "The Discoverie of Witchcraft"
- Maskelyne's supposed involvement in WWII.
- Vernon's search for the center deal.
- James Randi's "Project Alpha" with Banachek.

Just to name a few. If I just listed your favorite above, let me know. I'd also love to hear any fun facts or extra details about it. Thanks guys!

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Even those all these stories are intertwined is someway or another as far as a magic timeline is concerned; If I had to pick just one........I'll have to go with Everything surrounding Erdnase.. For me it's just fascinating knowing that the man whoever he may be changed the face of card magic. It's said that prior to Erdnase and the introduction of many gaming table moves, magic was not as sophisticated nor as precise. I'm sure there are loads of books that have had a great impact on card magic.. However there is something captivating about the book and it's authors mysteriousness. I plan to have the book memorized by the time I am 40 years old that's the goal at least!!:cool:

"The Expert at the Card Table is the most famous, the most carefully studied book ever published on the art of manipulating cards at gaming tables." —from the Foreword by Martin Gardner.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Houdini and Blackstone's rivalry.

Blackstone performed an underwater escape and Houdini publicly shamed him. It made headlines for a little while. At Houdini's death they found Blackstone's trunk among Houdini's collection suggesting that the rivalry was staged.

Houdin's Influence Was as a Writer not a Performer

Robert Houdin wrote a compelling autobiography about how he was trained by traveling performers and how he convinced an African nation of his actual magical powers. We now know that most of the stories were fabrications and exaggerations. Houdin made high quality magic apparatus, and had a short lived performing career late in life.

I also love how new rubberband magic is. Many of the creators of the classics are still alive.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Basically what the title says, what are some of your favorite stories from the history of magic? I'm not writing a report or anything so they can be 100% confirmed or even ones that are potentially rumors or exaggerations (i.e. Maskelyne and WWII).

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for:

- Dai Vernon fooling Houdini
- Robert Houdin stopping a revolution
- Everything surrounding Erdnase
- The Phantom of the Card Table.
- Houdini's crusade against the spiritualism movement.
- "The Discoverie of Witchcraft"
- Maskelyne's supposed involvement in WWII.
- Vernon's search for the center deal.
- James Randi's "Project Alpha" with Banachek.

Just to name a few. If I just listed your favorite above, let me know. I'd also love to hear any fun facts or extra details about it. Thanks guys!
The Erdnase mystery, vastly solved now, still serves as an interesting anecdote and even more mysteriously, I always forget to include in my patter (involving that story) that the mystery is somewhat solved. :D

The Uri Geller vs James Randi situation was pretty interesting.

Max Malini's stories have always been amazing to hear. The rumor that he would carry an ice block around with him in a party to perform with it, if the chance ever presented itself, or else let it melt, is hilarious (truth heavily unconfirmed)! He also ripped a button off President Harding's coat, which got turned into front page news.

That might seem trivial, but it amazes me to think how clever of a self-publicist Malini was, to be able to turn such a tiny effect into a newspaper-headline sensation!

There's an anecdote mentioned in Tom Ogden's book about Street Magic where he along with a companion had fallen foul of a tribal group, after performing really simple (beautiful though) effects for the members of the tribe. They did things like 'stones across'. But the shaman apparently interpreted that as a challenge to his power and hence, at the time of Ogden's leaving, Ogden was told that the shaman was rushing to where Ogden and his companion were, to challenge them for a duel to death!
No wonder our non-shaman magicians fled faster :D

Harry Potter's name derived from Harry Houdini, Avada Kedavra from Abracadabra, the word 'Mesmerising' coming from F. A. Mesmer's name are tiny facts which although not that closely connected to magic, are really interesting bits of trivia for me at least.

The story of the Egyptian magician Dedi is really interesting and it's surprising that even today it forms one of the best patters for certain torn and restored effects (certainly the richest in storyline!)

But honestly, the best story for me has always been the Discoverie Of Witchcraft and the reasons behind its publication. It's also amazing to think that a lot of effects we 'come up with' now have already been mentioned there, again proving that very few things (if not nothing) are new under the Sun.

By the way, Houdini himself has brilliant and fascinating stories connected with him, throughout his life time. He'd be an entire novel's worth of anecdotes in himself really :D :D

Another story not connected to magic but human psychology in general (which is often heavily exploited for magic) happens to be...well...

How do you like the story behind The Wicked Bible? :)

Reactions: Theorist19

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
The Erdnase mystery, vastly solved now, still serves as an interesting anecdote and even more mysteriously, I always forget to include in my patter (involving that story) that the mystery is somewhat solved. :D
What do you mean it's somewhat solved?

By the way, Houdini himself has brilliant and fascinating stories connected with him, throughout his life time. He'd be an entire novel's worth of anecdotes in himself really :D :D
Haha that's true. I could make an entire post asking for favorite Houdini stories. The man lived a crazy life.

I don't believe I've heard that story.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

Max Malini's stories have always been amazing to hear. The rumor that he would carry an ice block around with him in a party to perform with it, if the chance ever presented itself, or else let it melt, is hilarious (truth heavily unconfirmed)! He also ripped a button off President Harding's coat, which got turned into front page news.

That might seem trivial, but it amazes me to think how clever of a self-publicist Malini was, to be able to turn such a tiny effect into a newspaper-headline sensation!

There's an anecdote mentioned in Tom Ogden's book about Street Magic where he along with a companion had fallen foul of a tribal group, after performing really simple (beautiful though) effects for the members of the tribe. They did things like 'stones across'. But the shaman apparently interpreted that as a challenge to his power and hence, at the time of Ogden's leaving, Ogden was told that the shaman was rushing to where Ogden and his companion were, to challenge them for a duel to death!
No wonder our non-shaman magicians fled faster :D

Harry Potter's name derived from Harry Houdini, Avada Kedavra from Abracadabra, the word 'Mesmerising' coming from F. A. Mesmer's name are tiny facts which although not that closely connected to magic, are really interesting bits of trivia for me at least.

The story of the Egyptian magician Dedi is really interesting and it's surprising that even today it forms one of the best patters for certain torn and restored effects (certainly the richest in storyline!)

But honestly, the best story for me has always been the Discoverie Of Witchcraft and the reasons behind its publication. It's also amazing to think that a lot of effects we 'come up with' now have already been mentioned there, again proving that very few things (if not nothing) are new under the Sun.

Another story not connected to magic but human psychology in general (which is often heavily exploited for magic) happens to be...well...

All great choices. Malani absolutely did perform the ice cube trick. The circumstances surrounding the performance though are up for debate. I think that's what you meant.

Mowini stories are amazing, some issues arise from how they've been passed down though. One of The best collections of Malini's work was Vernon's booklet on the magic of Malini. Vernon always like the good story though, and was known to embellish things here and there.

Melanie was absolutely known for setting up a magic trick that would have a payoff several weeks down the road though. This style of performing is not super popular now days but I love to hear stories of Malini and Berglas who would do anything they could to create a magic moment.

One story that comes to mind is David Berglas's pear to bottle effect. He caus ed a real pair to penetrate a glass bottle. Everything was examinable at the beginning and end of the trick. It's an amazing piece of magic, with a ridiculous method.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
All great choices. Malani absolutely did perform the ice cube trick. The circumstances surrounding the performance though are up for debate. I think that's what you meant.

Mowini stories are amazing, some issues arise from how they've been passed down though. One of The best collections of Malini's work was Vernon's booklet on the magic of Malini. Vernon always like the good story though, and was known to embellish things here and there.

Melanie was absolutely known for setting up a magic trick that would have a payoff several weeks down the road though. This style of performing is not super popular now days but I love to hear stories of Malini and Berglas who would do anything they could to create a magic moment.

One story that comes to mind is David Berglas's pear to bottle effect. He caus ed a real pair to penetrate a glass bottle. Everything was examinable at the beginning and end of the trick. It's an amazing piece of magic, with a ridiculous method.
Reminds me of some of the stuff that Andy from The Jerx does.

Those are all great!

ID4

Aug 20, 2010

By the way, Houdini himself has brilliant and fascinating stories connected with him, throughout his life time. He'd be an entire novel's worth of anecdotes in himself really

It was sad really. Supposedly James had to spend most of his MacArthur grant on defending himself when Uri sued him for slander.

Houdini made stories up about himself that never even happened. The most interesting thing is that laypeople keep on repeating the stories years decades after his death

Nov 3, 2018
Great choice! I hope I remember this correctly (I won't swear on the details), but the version I heard - told by Ricky Jay in an article in The New Yorker -, was that Malini had just arrived as an immigrant in Washington. Seeing a congressman coming out of the Capitol, Malini ran up to him and bit off the coat button. Before anybody could drag him away, Malini gestured - and there was the button, on the coat again, as though nothing had happened.

I love any story to do with Dai Vernon, especially in his later years. Old men can often become a little eccentric, and Dai Vernon, being a very old man, a magician all his life - of which he spent a good part chasing down cheaters and hustlers -, is probably a very good example for this.
Ricky Jay once told the story of his own birthday party, to which he had invited several magicians, including Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller. After showing each other card tricks for a while ("I was blown away by everything they did!"), the conversation turned towards martial arts. Suddenly, Vernon, who at that time must have been in his 80s or 90s, fell from his chair. Charlie Miller rushed to help him up, but next thing he knows, he's lying flat on his back -- Vernon had thrown him with a leg throw of some sort! Vernon just stands up and calmly says: "We had that when I was a kid, you know!"

Speaking of Ricky Jay, he's one I can't hear enough stories of either. The story I usually tell to explain just how good he must have been happened at the New Year's party of one of his Hollywood friends. It was after midnight already and he sat at a table, entertaining those who wanted to watch his miracles. "After twenty minutes of nearly constant amazement", as the article says, "Ricky starts to pack up." But another spectator calls out: "Come on Ricky, show us something really amazing!" Ricky gets a look in his eye that all but says: "You're messing with the wrong guy."
"Name any card, please", he says aloud. "Three of Hearts", is the answer. Without another word, Ricky takes the card deck into his right hand and springs it across the table, hitting a bottle standing there. "What was your card again?", he asks. "Three of Hearts." "Have a look inside the bottle."
And surely enough, rolled up in the neck of the bottle, was the Three of Hearts.

Apr 3, 2019
Not sure if this qualifies as historical, but Dai Vernon's teaching Richard Turner really fascinates me which y'all are probably familiar with.

Supposedly, as he could only describe moves verbally to Turner, he'd provide descriptions that were more or less impossible for anyone else to do. Turner back then was a youngster with a serious obsession who'd work crazy hours. So he made the impossible possible. Well, Vernon certainly created a miracle.

Jun 23, 2019
When TA Waters (mentalist) passed away, Ricky Jay wrote a piece for The New Yorker Magazine. In it Ricky Jay wrote about TA Waters:

"In the early nineteen-sixties, as part of an experiment at New York University, he was given a dose of the drug (LSD) and then a list of some forty objects, which, as a longtime student of mnemonics, he memorized effortlessly. Hours later, blazed on acid, Waters perfectly recalled the information for his examiners."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results