What are your frustrations when learning magic?

May 13, 2020
Hey guys,

I hope you are all doing well.

My name is Tom and I am professional magician. I have been learning magic for the last 19 years and absolutely love it!

I am thinking of creating some content for you guys to help you out with your magic. So I know how to best to serve you, I was wondering what are your frustrations when learning magic?

What have you tried before that did not work?

What are your biggest challenges when learning magic or with magic in general? And what do you want to help you with those problems?

Also, what is your biggest dream or goal when learning magic?

I really appreciate the feedback. This way I know how to best serve you guys and give what you want or need.

I can't wait to make some content for you guys!

Feel free to message me privately too If you don't want to reply here :)

All the best,

Tom

Apr 1, 2020
For me, it's just that there's too much out there. It's really hard to stay focused when there's always a new book (and I love reading), a new move, or the rediscovery of an old book (hey, Revolutionary Card Technique) or move, or some amazing routine... Just staying focused and on a plan is sometimes the hardest part.

I want to learn and practice everything I like. But how do you narrow it down to what you have to be practicing and what new things absolutely have to be added in. And what things can I put on the back burner.

Really these frustrations were 1 of the reasons that I posted the Practice thread.

Jul 26, 2016
I am sure that @MagicwithTom, given his experience as a professional, has a lot to offer in the way of advice and recommendations. After all, are there any of us, regardless of what level we may currently be on, who does not have more to learn and cannot improve? But in reading @PGGoutis01's post, I do have a comment. We, as magicians, love tricks, and moves, and books, and videos. We are kind of like the kid in the candy store. However, I think we would be well served to remember that sleights and moves are just tools to be used in presenting a trick or a routine, rather than things to be practiced in a vacuum - unless of course, you just want to learn moves purely for the sake or fun of doing and/or mastering them, which is fine if that's what you like. But ultimately, magic is a performance art, where complete piece or routines are performed for people, to entertain - and yes to astonish - them.

Therefore, I think there is a lot to be said for practicing just one trick or routine at a time and learning just the sleights or moves needed (if any) for that particular trick within the context of learning and mastering the trick. This does take discipline and a resolve not to keep jumping around. It is better to have just one trick that we can perform flawlessly, or at least close to flawlessly, than a hundred that are sloppy or mediocre. Once one trick or routine or trick is mastered, complete with a presentation, then move on to another, and before you know it, you have a repertoire of solid material you can perform on a professional level.

Aug 2, 2014
For myself it's I don't know what would be worth spending my time practicing vs what I should learn to get the best results. I mostly work with cards because I love that you can manipulate a deck fairly easily and everyone has a deck of cards, however I dislike gimmicks and prefer to stick with cheating methods or slight of hand. So for me some things seem cheesy or gimmicky and I would much rather learn slight of hand. So when it comes to learning a magic trick with a gimick I dont know what to go with because would it really be worth the time and money invested.... otherwise its just getting the time in to practice

Reactions: Theorist19
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I was wondering what are your frustrations when learning magic?
Often discarding a move when it becomes 'satisfactory' and then realising that neither is it terrible, nor good enough to actually put into use. Which means the time previously put into learning it often goes to waste OR I have to invest more time to get back on the track with the move.

What are your biggest challenges when learning magic or with magic in general?
My biggest challenge is making the magic impossible as well as having a great story to go with it. I love stories (listening to them and telling them) and so often the routines/ effects I design end up having a good storyline, but it doesn't seem 'magical' enough. Thus the magic gets compromised for the sake of the story. Hoping to improve this factor as I move along! :)

Jan 24, 2020
I was wondering what are your frustrations when learning magic?
My frustrations is trying to stick to it. I tend to get frustrated that my fingers can't do certain things and I get a little discouraged because of it.

What have you tried before that did not work?
A couple of color changes. Holding the deck a certain way is a challenge for me.

What are your biggest challenges when learning magic or with magic in general? And what do you want to help you with those problems?
I would love motivation as well as maybe tips for someone thats a beginner and feels like has small hands/short fingers.

Also, what is your biggest dream or goal when learning magic?
Being able to create a story, capture and wow the audience. I love the feeling of magic being presented to me so much that I would love to do the same and pass that feeling off to others as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results