What are your thoughts on this trick?

Nov 27, 2010
Hey everyone!

I posted this video a little while ago and wanted your thoughts about it. I want to redo the video eventually therefore wanted criticism and thoughts on the trick.

Please write about the pattern because I might change it. If you want me to change it please give me some ideas on what to change it to.

Also tell me what you think of the trick in general.......strong or weak?

[video=youtube;G5Vt5RFVuGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Vt5RFVuGI[/video]

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I liked it. Maybe you should change the patter a little so you don't say "I didn't know what I was doing" so much. Don't rush into the force so much. Cut the cards and stop for a second and talk. Overall, it was a decent performance. But I thought that having the spectator cut 1/4 of the deck was kind of pointless. You could have just talked about the number 13 while dealing out the cards and it would be just fine.

Like I said, it's not bad but it could be better. I give it a 7.5 out of 10. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
The patter is really your prerogative, but in my opinion is now quite weak. This is also for what I assume is a lack of rehearsal. Your script is just as important as the effect itself... take some time to write a formal script. And I mean actually write... you don't have to use it word for word after a bit but work on a word for word script until you are fully comfortable with the scripting... After that, change it up and adapt to your surroundings when you perform it. With a change in that, you'll be on your way. I think the effect itself has definite potential.

Also, it could use some tightening in terms of the technical aspects. Not saying you executed it poorly, but that some things could be easily tightened. For instance, the very beginning in which you are "trying to find a prediction" could be tightened and changed to, perhaps, a multiple cull instead as you run through the pack and attempt to find your prediction card. As it stands, the procedure is blatantly obvious, as least in the eyes of a magician. This is also, again, the fault of your current patter... it draws too much attention to the action. You'd actually be better off performing the open sorting action in a casual manner as you speak to the audience. Check out David Regal in performance for an example of this... he uses strong verbal misdirection. If you draw all importance away from the cards, then the preparation of the cards will not raise suspicion.

All in all, I'd love to see this again once you've fixed a few of the technical aspects here and there and prepared a formal, concise script. I like it so far!

Nov 27, 2010
The patter is really your prerogative, but in my opinion is now quite weak. This is also for what I assume is a lack of rehearsal. Your script is just as important as the effect itself... take some time to write a formal script. And I mean actually write... you don't have to use it word for word after a bit but work on a word for word script until you are fully comfortable with the scripting... After that, change it up and adapt to your surroundings when you perform it. With a change in that, you'll be on your way. I think the effect itself has definite potential.

thanks for all your help!! can you please go more into the whole perdition part. I'm not quite sure what you mean
Also, it could use some tightening in terms of the technical aspects. Not saying you executed it poorly, but that some things could be easily tightened. For instance, the very beginning in which you are "trying to find a prediction" could be tightened and changed to, perhaps, a multiple cull instead as you run through the pack and attempt to find your prediction card. As it stands, the procedure is blatantly obvious, as least in the eyes of a magician. This is also, again, the fault of your current patter... it draws too much attention to the action. You'd actually be better off performing the open sorting action in a casual manner as you speak to the audience. Check out David Regal in performance for an example of this... he uses strong verbal misdirection. If you draw all importance away from the cards, then the preparation of the cards will not raise suspicion.

All in all, I'd love to see this again once you've fixed a few of the technical aspects here and there and prepared a formal, concise script. I like it so far!

Thank you for your help! Can you please go more into making a predication part. I'm a little confused.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ok, honestly, I don't really like it for two main reasons.

Firstly, the trick doesn't make sense. The procedure is long-winded, some of your actions don't really make sense and especially the four aces don't make sense. You wouldn't normally produce a rose as the climax of a three card monte, for example. That's what it feels like - it's just tacked on there. Hey, this is the card. This is the prediction. And, aw heck, here are four aces for the sake of it. In my hat, I also have a rabbit, and if you look at the man in the 29th row, his clothes are gone. Eh, meh.

Secondly, the patter. I'll put it this way. Some peope I know are naturals at telling stories. Everytime they open their mouths, people listen. If they stood up on a cardboard box and started speaking about french fries, people would gather around to listen. The point being that your story doesn't sound natural. You don't sound natural telling the story. It just doesn't feel right. It feels concocted, and when you tell me that this thing happened - I don't believe you.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Ok, honestly, I don't really like it for two main reasons.

Firstly, the trick doesn't make sense. The procedure is long-winded, some of your actions don't really make sense and especially the four aces don't make sense. You wouldn't normally produce a rose as the climax of a three card monte, for example. That's what it feels like - it's just tacked on there. Hey, this is the card. This is the prediction. And, aw heck, here are four aces for the sake of it. In my hat, I also have a rabbit, and if you look at the man in the 29th row, his clothes are gone. Eh, meh.

Secondly, the patter. I'll put it this way. Some peope I know are naturals at telling stories. Everytime they open their mouths, people listen. If they stood up on a cardboard box and started speaking about french fries, people would gather around to listen. The point being that your story doesn't sound natural. You don't sound natural telling the story. It just doesn't feel right. It feels concocted, and when you tell me that this thing happened - I don't believe you.

Hey, Prae is back!!! :)

I agree with prae's post. Trick pretty much doesn't make sense. If you didn't have any patter, and you were watching it without the sound, you would have no idea what was going on, which is not good. Why are you cutting the cards? Why are you dealing the cards? Why are you putting the cards in the box? Why are you putting the cards on top of the deck? Trim all this fat that I just mentioned, and correct the patter to actually aid the trick, and it will be much better.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results