What cards?

Dec 12, 2008
What cards do you use. I buy the expensive ones usually. Split Spades, Smokes, Guardians. Bicycle Ghosts, that is mainly it. Sometimes normal bicycles.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I own (currently)
Guardians, Centurions, Tally Ho, Ghost, Black Ghost, Black Tiger, Black Viper, Master/Shadow Masters, White Centurions, Bee's, Split Spades, Smoke & Mirrors, Bicycle.

From now on I am only going to purchase...

Bicycle
Guardians
Smoke & Mirrors
Tally Ho's

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I mainly use standard normal bikes, but I LOOOVE Ghost decks, they look so nice, I usually take those when I am going to parties or cocktail nights, jajaja. have fun everyone.

Sep 1, 2007
Fixed. :) Just so you know... I have never had a problem with 'abnormal' decks causing or arousing suspicion.

In saying that, they haven't made me better or worse at magic either, like any deck, it's just a tool to accomplish something.

- Sean

Just because a spectator doesn't audibly voice their suspicon, that doesn't mean that their unconscious mind doesn't suspect them.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Just because a spectator doesn't audibly voice their suspicon, that doesn't mean that their unconscious mind doesn't suspect them.
Fair point, maybe it's that in England... Bicycles are hard to come by except for in Magic shops, of which there are none in Leicester. :(

I'd still say that, if they're questioning the deck, it's a small problem on the part of the performer. Eh, it's a huge debate that I don't think will end until everyone is using spectator approved and regulated decks of cards. :p

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
In england it may be different. I only speak from my own experiences. I find that using a pack of cards the everyone knows and probably has, gives them a small since of familiarity. Thus, not rasing that suspicon.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Yeah, I agree with Sean. Up here in Norway, it is very difficult to 'just buy a Bicycle deck' let alone a custom deck; meaning people won't be expecting trick decks and such. There is no status qou for decks here, everything and anything goes ;)

That said, I use plain ol' bicycle cards - because they are much easier to acquire up here, and I find they work beatifully for what I do ;)

Gustav

Nov 18, 2008
CA
tallys,bikes, and ghosts.
Usually after talking to your spectators and gettong to know them they always are more comfortable. If a spec. says they have never seen the cards before(like ghost) i either spread them out and show them the cards or hand them the deck if i feel nice that day.
After that they are almost always more comfortable and for some reason want to see your tricks more (maybe to just look at the deck).
that's what i do.

_CC

Dec 12, 2008
Thanks for your opinions. I usually use my split spades, I also show them the cards so they know they are normal. But when I do shows for younger kids, I use bicycles. Than I can use things like Ultragaff cards, and the kids will think it is true magic and not faked cards. By the way, my viper circle deck is all worn. It can barely fan, but I got it about a month ago. Did this happen with any of you? I only dropped them once.

By the way, my viper circle deck is all worn. It can barely fan, but I got it about a month ago. Did this happen with any of you? I only dropped them once.

Yeah, it happened to me. They lasted me about, 3 weeks I think.

Ok, out of all the decks, has anyone ever said anything bad about a regular pack of Tally Ho Fan Backs? As in quality, stock, how they fan or spring, how long they last? Almost every other card has been fully debated about, but I don't recall any strong complaints about tally's. Other cards are great, as long as they work for you. I'll switch around from time to time to get a feel for other cards, but i'm stickin with my tally's.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
In england it may be different. I only speak from my own experiences. I find that using a pack of cards the everyone knows and probably has, gives them a small since of familiarity. Thus, not rasing that suspicon.

You don't think that a magician performing magic tricks arouses suspicion? Making cards go inside bottles, making them teleport, rise to the top of the deck, change into other cards - isn't that suspicious?

What about making coins bend, or reading thoughts?

I'd hazard to say that simply being a magician and producing a deck of cards would raise up all kinds of suspicion. If not, you're probably doing some creative, smart presentation and performance to make everything seem on the up-and-up: so why not just do that with your deck?

There's all kinds of different decks you can buy in stores. Fancy poker-peek decks with indexes on the edges, cheap cards with generic patterns on the back - Bicycle's even making green, pink, blue, and silver-backed cards, among others. You can find these at Wal-Mart, Target, grocery stores, toy stores. It shouldn't be too suspicious to find.

Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm in America, too. I have an Ellusionist Ghost deck, and everyone I've showed it too has told me they think it's pretty.

This is an argument that's been discussed for at least a few years. When I first got a few custom decks and heard all the debate, I tried things out around my hometown. I've handed the deck out to people (maybe only 6 or 7 different people, so this isn't a conclusive bit of data) both with and without saying I do magic.

Here's a pretty basic template of what I got. Note that this wasn't part of a presentation to prove the deck was legit - these were just casual back-and-forths about a deck I happened to own.

ME: (showing the deck) What do you think about this deck?
THEM: It looks cool.
ME: (spreading the cards both face up and face down) What about now?
THEM: Looks neat.
ME: (handing them the deck) Check it out.
THEM: (spreading through the cards) Where'd you get it?
ME: On-line.

One person asked where they could get one. Afterwards, I asked if they thought anything was wrong with the deck. Anything tricky?

THEM: No, why? (looking through the deck) Is something wrong with it?

Obviously not verbatim, but that's how every conversation went. These were strangers at a local hobby shop I used to frequent.

The point being, this whole thing about how custom decks inherently bring about an air of suspicion is completely false. Maybe someone will dream up deception towards it, but I argue that those same people find suspicion with all that you do.

It's presentation, pure and simple.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results