What deck for sleight of hand tricks

Dec 7, 2013
Yeah this is most likely a silly question. I'm very new to this.
I want to practice sleight of hand/magic tricks but normal cards I buy bend rather too fast.

Is there any deck that is reliable for training and afterwards one that's good for general use?
Bicycle Guardians seems to be good but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Plus I also collect a few things like limited edition games, figurines and etc.
And some of these decks look appealing enough for me to want to get them.

Apr 17, 2013
I use plain old run of the mill bicyces. I get them at Sam's Club 12 decks for $14. On top of everything else make sure you hands are clean and dry, but remember these are made out of paper they wear out.

Dec 7, 2013
I use plain old run of the mill bicyces. I get them at Sam's Club 12 decks for $14. On top of everything else make sure you hands are clean and dry, but remember these are made out of paper they wear out.

Well, I can only imagine they are better than normal cheap cards, and uno cards heh.
But alrighty, nothng fancy and special then.

Jun 2, 2013
When you first start sleight of hand card tricks, your hands will probably ruin cards rather fast. I'll talk about Bikes, Bees, and Tally Hos. Btw these are all easily under 3$/deck (Bikes are 12 for 15$, Bees are 12 for 25-26$, Tally Hos are 25-26$

Bikes: Cheapest of the 3 by far (almost 1$ less per deck). They die the easiest, but if you ruin the cards anyways you should look into these. The quality is also quite solid.

Bees: IMO the best stock. They are borderless so if you want to double lift/false deal these will help (though don't spoil yourself). As long as you don't crease the card these will last forever (I do card manipulation which forces me to heavily bend cards, but they last long). Bad for reversed card effects due to being borderless.

Tally Ho: Durable stock, bordered, and IMO has the best back design. They are well rounded, pretty much upgraded Bikes (but you do pay extra). There isn't much bad about these. However, if you want to perform to laymen, they may question these cards because in the real world people don't use Tally Hos much compared to Bikes and Bees.

I use Bikes for close-up and Bees for card manipulation.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Personally I don't buy into all these 'designer decks'. Since I perform a lot the cost would be to high to keep replacing them. I have used Bikes for years, nothing wrong with them at all. Although recently I have started using Tally Ho's a lot and really like them.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I do what Krab does. I go to Sam's club and buy 12 decks of bicycles for $14.00 and they are just fine for what I do. If I am worried about farrow shuffling or performing under strict conditions I'll go with the gold seal Richard Turner Bicycles which I grab from Penguin Magic.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Bikes tend to be a little bit smoother in their snap than Tally ho's. Something to do with different stock maybe? The end result is that I can execute smoother LePaul Spreads with bikes than with Tally ho's.

Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have a few more questions.
Do people use Bridge or rider back cards for sleight of hand tricks? and what about cardistry?
I ordered a normal bicycle deck, rider back type.
I don't know if it's me or what but they just sort of feel like they are big? It's not that I have small hands or anything but still = /

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results