What do you think about this performance?

Dec 28, 2017
Before I give my opinion - what about it makes it great to you?

There are many reasons... I am a big David Roth fan. And to see him at this age still doing it... Also, the use of the cup, the wand everything... Just love him. But his hands were a little shaky (which, I, EVEN as an 18 year old, can relate to)...
So what do you think about that whole performance?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have a lot of respect for Roth's skill with coins. It is something he will always be far better than me at, and he has been instrumental in the teaching of a huge amount of people. He is a legend in the community and deserves that title.

This performance - This is magic for magicians. He does it very well, but it's basically eye candy with no real meaning. The script is dictating the actions we can see him performing, so it adds nothing. Coins vanish from one place, appear in another. Coins change. Coins change again, and teleport again, and then change again.

He does it very well, as I've said. However, this is not the kind of magic I would want to experience, personally.

RickU

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2013
This performance - This is magic for magicians. He does it very well, but it's basically eye candy with no real meaning.

I half agree w you

For me - I didn’t find it very captivating because
1- I’m not on that level of skill
2- Im not that into coins
3- He does moves only a magician can truly appreciate

Reactions: kingdamian1
Nov 19, 2017
I'd say that he is performing magic for magicians and really wanted to show all the techniques that he created and can still do and wanted to show Penn and Teller the magic that they ( especially Teller ) use.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
David Roth's knowledge and abilities are amazing. The first routine had too much handling for my liking. I prefer going magic that is slow and where the effect is clear. The second routine (Chinese coins) is a series of beautiful moves and is amazingly well constructed from a method standpoint. The third routine was very clean and very well constructed. However, as Christopher said, the focus is on what he is doing with the coins so it very much comes across as a demonstration of skill.

Dec 28, 2017
David Roth's knowledge and abilities are amazing. The first routine had too much handling for my liking. I prefer going magic that is slow and where the effect is clear. The second routine (Chinese coins) is a series of beautiful moves and is amazingly well constructed from a method standpoint. The third routine was very clean and very well constructed. However, as Christopher said, the focus is on what he is doing with the coins so it very much comes across as a demonstration of skill.

I disagree with you. It wasn't just skill display (which Roth has a lot of! Have I ever mentioned that I am his BIG FAN?)! It was a great atmosphere for coin magic, his humorous remarks, and the stories of coins were nice... I loved every part of it!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I absolutely loved routine 2 and 3 for sure. I had a smile on my face the entire time with my head up close to the laptop screen....ha ha. Thanks for sharing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results