What do you think of Darwin Ortiz?

I respect Darwin Ortiz for his great skill with a pack of cards but after acquiring some of his videos recently I have to say that I hate him as a performer. I have never seen a performer so arrogant and self confident. He is constantly bragging about his skill both during the performances and instructions. I really felt patronized on several occasions. Like when he claims that a trick is technically very easy, you just need to do several perfect faros in a row (?). Considering the fact that he is a real critical thinker when it comes to card magic, it amazes me that he has no insight in the way he comes across as a performer. Every spectator with average intelligence can on their own appreciate the skill involved in a perfect bottom deal or some advanced stacking demonstration. Darwin seems to be his own biggest fan, constantly pointing out how wonderful he is….

Sep 1, 2007
you`r wrong! Darwin ORtiz....is the best! He`s skills are....INCREDIBILE! And he is a VERY good performer! Read Darwin`s books! Read Cardshark...and Strong magic! Darwin is very original......! And he use ALL the card technics....not just 100 Double lifts and 50 gaffs!

Sorry for my english!

you`r wrong! Darwin ORtiz....is the best! He`s skills are....INCREDIBILE! And he is a VERY good performer! Read Darwin`s books! Read Cardshark...and Strong magic! Darwin is very original......! And he use ALL the card technics....not just 100 Double lifts and 50 gaffs!

Sorry for my english!

I didn´t say he was bad performer technically rather that his personality sucks. I have all of his books btw.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Yeah, I completely agree Senchi. I will admit, I've never seen him perform live, so maybe he just doesn't come across well on video for some reason, but he doesn't seem to apply his own lessons in presentation. Again, I would like to emphasise that he is blatantly incredible technically, and his thinking on presentation as described in his books is insightful and very valuable. For some reason though, the magic of his presentational skills doesn't seem to come through when the camera's on him.

Hmm...I would have to disagree with the OP. I went to a lecture of his one time and wow! Simply amazing! Not only was his magic top notch, but one can never fully appreciate what he does with a deck of cards until you see him live!

To take a regular deck of cards, and a couple shuffles later he was already into his memorized deck!!! It was simply jaw-dropping. Performance wise, he was far from arrogant. He put all the attention on the spectator, and was far from arrogant. But I'll say one thing. It was a bit cold in the room, and Darwin may have been a bit melo-dramatic about the temperature of his hands....but other than that, the lecture rocked!

I got him to sign my copy of Strong Magic (one of the best books ever BTW) and he gave me one of the decks he used to perform with that night. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results