What gets the best reactions for you?

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
So we all know the different styles of presenting a trick..

You have the serious type or the funny type..you can present it as being real magic or it just being sleights...and of course there are many others.

Which one do you find gets the best reactions from the spectators? I've experimented with each type and I personally like the more chill kind. I joke with them and just act like we've been friends forever. I feel like that gets them comfortable which makes them more open to the experience.

So what about you? Which do you guys think gets the best reactions and why?

ps. if a thread has been posted like this before, which I wouldn't be surprised if it has been, I apologize.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
well, Brad christian says that "Simple Hits Hard!!" and it´s true!!

I have a little trick of mine called "Sure?" is very simple in the magician way, but for laymen is so magical, is really fast and simple

that gets me the best reactions because sometimes you only have 30 seconds to win the attention of the people and you have to make those 30 seconds worth, so I would say that first engage them with something simple but visual, then when you get their attention drive them a little more and then use a killer trick to finish and is very likely that you will get the best reaction ever!!!

well hope you enjoy this and..
how are things in Ohio?

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Yer im very much "Im here for a fun time" kind of mood im still trying to show them something astonishing but at the same time like you said they open up to you they feel alot more comfortable with someone that is laid back i think but i think getting to goofy people find stupid. but everyone has a different point of view.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The biggest thing I can say is maintaining a consistent character.

I find that the best reactions occur when the effect becomes real for the spectator. Even more so when they somehow accomplish the desired effect.

So a spectator as mind reader has always been both my and my spectators favourite piece of my show. I have even got a whole show using this premise, I use it a lot for birthday parties by having the host helping me throughout the entire show.

I think people are too highly on focused on the reaction, as if the reaction is the meaning for performing.

I believe it is more important to establish a connection between yourself and the spectator, whether that be as a friend, or as if you've known each other for years.

I honestly believe the the reaction is one of the least important parts of magic, not the pinnacle.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
There are 3 types tricks that get the best reactions for me:

Money tricks (tricks with bills, not coins)

In their hands tricks

Card Revelations

With the exception of a few, most of the tricks in my repertoire fit into one of those categories.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I think people are too highly on focused on the reaction, as if the reaction is the meaning for performing.

I believe it is more important to establish a connection between yourself and the spectator, whether that be as a friend, or as if you've known each other for years.

I honestly believe the the reaction is one of the least important parts of magic, not the pinnacle.

The reaction, which I believe IS the pinnacle of our art, comes AS A RESULT OF the connection to the audience. Not saying that screaming and freaking out is the most important thing in magic (often the best reaction is simply just awe and silence) I am saying that the connection means nothing without eventually showing the spectator something to be awed with. The connection is simply making friend, getting to their same level, empathizing with them, gaining their trust. That is not magic. Magic comes when, as a result of this connection you make, they see or feel just this short moment of awe and wonder, of mystery and secret. That moment is their reaction. Not their outward, easy to see, physical reaction, but their internal response to everything you just did.

Reaction + no connection = Cool trick

Connection + no reaction = Friendship (Maybe?) and no magic

Connection + Reaction = Magic

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
well, Brad christian says that "Simple Hits Hard!!" and it´s true!!

I have a little trick of mine called "Sure?" is very simple in the magician way, but for laymen is so magical, is really fast and simple

that gets me the best reactions because sometimes you only have 30 seconds to win the attention of the people and you have to make those 30 seconds worth, so I would say that first engage them with something simple but visual, then when you get their attention drive them a little more and then use a killer trick to finish and is very likely that you will get the best reaction ever!!!

well hope you enjoy this and..
how are things in Ohio?

That's very true. It's amazing sometimes when performing that it is generally the simpler tricks that get the most amazed reactions.

Ohio is boring, as always, haha. It's been kinda rainy lately. How is it going down south??

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
The reaction, which I believe IS the pinnacle of our art, comes AS A RESULT OF the connection to the audience. Not saying that screaming and freaking out is the most important thing in magic (often the best reaction is simply just awe and silence) I am saying that the connection means nothing without eventually showing the spectator something to be awed with. The connection is simply making friend, getting to their same level, empathizing with them, gaining their trust. That is not magic. Magic comes when, as a result of this connection you make, they see or feel just this short moment of awe and wonder, of mystery and secret. That moment is their reaction. Not their outward, easy to see, physical reaction, but their internal response to everything you just did.

I agree completely. Without the connection it's just a person showing something cool to another person. But if you make that connection, the trick and their reactions are so much more worth while.

I agree 100% with you my friend. I'm not sure if I said it in my original post, but yes, the reaction is result of the connection. That's why I feel the connection is more important than the reaction. It's good to know we see eye to eye, but I still feel the connection is more important, as I feel it is the root of all magic.

Sep 9, 2007
I'm just myself x100....

-a notorious flirt
-kind of an a**hole, and you can't really tell if I'm kidding
-dominating
-somewhat mysterious

May 3, 2008
I believe that a great magician can have a great and funny personality but when it's time to get to business they can get serious. It all depends on your style. A great serious magician would be Dan White. A funny one is Daniel Garcia. I absolutely HATE it when magicians get WAY too serious. A perfect example of that is Criss Angel and his creepy/awkward breathing.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I believe that a great magician can have a great and funny personality but when it's time to get to business they can get serious. It all depends on your style. A great serious magician would be Dan White. A funny one is Daniel Garcia. I absolutely HATE it when magicians get WAY too serious. A perfect example of that is Criss Angel and his creepy/awkward breathing.

David blaine is serious......

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
That's very true. It's amazing sometimes when performing that it is generally the simpler tricks that get the most amazed reactions.

Ohio is boring, as always, haha. It's been kinda rainy lately. How is it going down south??

well here is very rainy too!! but i love the rain and the cold so I´m fine

also when I do the simpler tricks as opener the people instantly take you more seriously than when you aproach them with just a deck of cards and a "wanna see a trick?", just give them a little they will want more!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2, 2009
I think the best is beeing kind of serious, but relax and say some funny comments once or twice.
That, + some mentalism, card magic, and knowing what to tell them, and you become the king.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Absolutely. I think beeing kind of serious (but relaxed) with some funny comments is the best combination.

Same here.

I'm serious, yet relaxed with a few funny comments and fun here and there.

V.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results