What got you started in magic?

May 29, 2011
Atlantic City NJ
I was badgered into magic by other kids in high school. I kinda developed a habit of always have something in my hands and playing with it. so naturally i found cards to be a good tool to help deal with this addiction(?) this of course caused the other kids to constantly asked if I could do magic so I figure why not learn it. and 2 years later here I am a fairly decent amateur street magician who is trying to make a name for himself on the local boards.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
It was a long time ago when I was a little kid like 7 years old.. my cousin had a party and the theme was harry potter, I saw the first magician in my entire life performing the dove pan trick.. at that time I believe magic was real and I wanted to have powers too haha so I think you could figurate out the rest :)

Sorry about my bad english.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
It was probably 12 years ago when my family took at trip to Myrtle Beach and I saw my first close up magician at Broadway on the Beach and then Conley's House of Magic down there. It was a simple Thumb Tip and Hank vanish that had me picking my jaw up off the floor. Needless to say I was bitten by the bug bad that day and have never looked back.

Aug 17, 2010
Was into magic as kid, dropped it for a few decades, got back into it to quit smoking.

I was goin gcrazy with nothing to do with my hands, and found Bobo's Modern Coin Magic in a bookstore, and was hooked. Wandered into Browser's Den of Magic, and have been hooked ever since.

Have been busking for two or three years now.

Jul 17, 2011
What got me started?
-From a very young age I was fascinated with David Blaine and Lance Burton. Both were very impressive to me. And I just always loved magic. Eventually I also always kind of loved acting, and performing on stage. So I think a combination of the two did it for me.

What fascinates me about magic?
-Finding a way to do the impossible. The art of deception. And the methodology behind creating an illusion.

How long have I been performing?
-Well...I haven't been performing. I just got serious about magic recently.

Jan 20, 2009
California
What got me into it was when i was 5yr old watching a david copperfield special were he was performing
the dancing cane, it was a thing of beauty.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Well about 6 years ago, my family went to Wisconsin Dells and we went to this magic show. I don't remember everything but I remember the finale. It was the one where he gets locket into a locker-type thing and he has a minute to get out or the two death saws would crush him or something like that. I remember being on the edge of my seat worrying for this man's life. The minute passed and the saws crushed him and I believed I saw a guy die right in front of me. Then he revealed himself in the audience. That got me into magic and I loved it ever since. I learned my first trick at summer camp and then I really got hooked. And here we are now. :)

Aug 3, 2010
NSW, Australia
On my 1st birthday, my superstitious grandmother laid a series of objects in front me to see which one I liked.
There was books, pencils, keys... all sorts of stuff including a deck of playing cards.
I crawled towards the deck of cards and grabbed it. I've never stopped playing with them since. =]
During large family gatherings, everyone ALWAYS played card games. My mother taught me how to shuffle and my first card flourish when I was 6. It amazed a lot of people and eventually my family decided to teach me basic card tricks. I LOVED performing magic and my parents gave me magic books for my birthday throughout my childhood. That's pretty much it!

Jun 9, 2011
i got into magic after watching the prestige haha! I was just inspired and fascinated by everything, and how a simple coin or card trick could blow people's minds. I think I love magic so much because, like someone else said, it's finding ways to do the impossible. It's inspiring not to the audience, but to the magician doing the trick as well.

What originally got me into "liking" magic was when a was a kid. My grandpa showed me a trick where he tied a knot into a rope without letting go of either end. I didn't start performing magic until a couple years ago when a frien of mine introduced me to a local magic shop and the rest is history. . .

I just graduated high school and had no clue what to do next. I found a Rubik's Cube and played with it until it was solved. I learned to solve it sort of quickly. I got a job at a call center and at lunch I was playing with my little cube and people where amazed by this little skill and I entertained them with it. I loved that feeling so I looked into my closet and found a deck of cards.

My mom use to know how to cut a deck of cards with one hand and also she knew a little card trick. She taught me both... Then I got a little magic book and the rest is history!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results