What Has Changed Your Magical Life?

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
Hello, I was thinking about where I am with magic and where I would like to be and I'm just not quite sure how to bridge the gap. I know lots of people here will say practice or perform but just practicing and performing does not make perfect. I am going to pharmacy school next fall and I am going to have to support myself somehow and I would love to do that with something I love, magic. I want to be able to create miracles that will affect people the way magic first affected me.

So my question is this: Look at your magical life and I mean really look at it. What book(s), DVD(s), or lecture(s) have helped you bridge the gap or started you in the process. What has changed your magical life?

-Clay

For me it would have to be joining my local magic club. It brought me closer to the magic community in and around my area. There are guys there that have been doing magic longer than I've been alive so the wisdom you can get from them is worth the yearly dues. I also get inside info on lectures coming to town and a discount at a local magic shop.

Side note: all the theory in books and DVDs in the world can't amount to actual hands on experience (performing in this case).

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Joining a magic club. You get to see so much more magic than whatever the hype machine is selling in a given week.

TAOM. So many different people all together for the love of one art. So amazing.

Performing in costume on Halloween. I hid behind all the stuff glued to my face and let my inhibitions go. That taught me a lot about performing.

Jun 14, 2008
Las Vegas
For me it was having to support my ex-fiance when she got pregnant and also got kicked out of her house. I was living out of a hotel at the time inbetween moving from San Diego back to NYC when I got the news of my son's arrival.

You would be surprised how resourceful you can get when you have to hustle a certain amount in tips a night because if you don't, you and your pregnant lady will be out in the streets. And I did it. Would make around $200 a day in tips, working extensive hours, going to bars & restaurants, setting up gigs, self-producing shows and just getting out there.

You will be shocked how great you become when you have to do a great show everytime because your pay is directly dependent on it. Not the other way around. Most magicians get paid first, then they perform.

In terms of material... just do what you are good at now. Then look at your routines and make them as entertaining as possible. Hey, I haven't had to have a real job in six years. I also haven't had a client in 3. Everyone is different, and different paths work for different people. I say to heck with magic, work on your charisma.... your magnetic personality. Everything else falls in later.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results