What is the T.A.O.M?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
i wanted to know what people think of the T.A.O.M, what is it, is it only in texas? in dallas? i m pretty ognorant in this matter but i heard there are magic conventions there and i live in dallas so anybody knows when is there gonna be a magic convention? is there going to be one? or anybody knows about any magic conventions around dallas going on?

Dec 14, 2007
The TAOM is an odd situation. It is a "traveling" convention. Each year a different Texas city earns the right to host it. Each year the convention can be VERY different.

For a while (around 00) there were a string of TAOM conventions that rivaled any international convention you could attend. The line up was stellar, the facilities were great, and the attendees were top notch. These were also in major cities that managed to make these work.

Of course, then there were years where the hotels were crummy, the talent was so-so, and the attendees were basically the same guys you would see every month at your magic club.

Two years ago there was a LOT of talent at the convention site. Sadly, the event just didn't click and many were disappointed.

Last year there were maybe 150 people in total that showed up.

This year is in Ft. Worth. I have spoken with the talent chairman and he really wants to produce a world class event. Sadly, given last year's turn out, they also have to be smart financially. Will it be the best in years?

All I can say is right now, it's a gamble. But if you live near the area, I think you could find enough to make it a good time.

Right now, it's too early to say.

Hope that helps.

Brad Henderson

Last edited by a moderator:
The TAOM is an odd situation. It is a "traveling" convention. Each year a different Texas city earns the right to host it. Each year the convention can be VERY different.

For a while (around 00) there were a string of TAOM conventions that rivaled any international convention you could attend. The line up was stellar, the facilities were great, and the attendees were top notch. These were also in major cities that managed to make these work.

Of course, then there were years where the hotels were crummy, the talent was so-so, and the attendees were basically the same guys you would see every month at your magic club.

Two years ago there was a LOT of talent at the convention site. Sadly, the event just didn't click and many were disappointed.

Last year there were maybe 150 people in total that showed up.

This year is in Ft. Worth. I have spoken with the talent chairman and he really wants to produce a world class event. Sadly, given last year's turn out, they also have to be smart financially. Will it be the best in years?

All I can say is right now, it's a gamble. But if you live near the area, I think you could find enough to make it a good time.

Right now, it's too early to say.

Hope that helps.

Brad Henderson

Hey, were you there last year? So was I! Not sure if we met or not though.. Im sure we did since it was a pretty small convention.. haha.
Yeah TAOM really does go back and forth, sometimes its one of the best conventions in america, and sometimes its more like a little magic meeting with some washed up talent.. so it depends. Last year didn't really do it for me, but Corpus Christi was a cool town. I hope to go next year, it should be better.

Calvin Lauber

Dec 14, 2007
I did not attend last year. I was busy working on an event here in Austin. But, given the line up and the city (Corpus holds far less appeal for me than it does for you) I don't know that I would have attended had my schedule allowed.

I will probably be in Ft Worth this year unless I am out of the country putting together an event. If I do make it, there is a chance I will be coordinating an unusual experience for the attendees.

If you are there, please introduce yourself. I hope you have a great time should you decide to attend.

Brad Henderson

I did not attend last year. I was busy working on an event here in Austin. But, given the line up and the city (Corpus holds far less appeal for me than it does for you) I don't know that I would have attended had my schedule allowed.

I will probably be in Ft Worth this year unless I am out of the country putting together an event. If I do make it, there is a chance I will be coordinating an unusual experience for the attendees.

If you are there, please introduce yourself. I hope you have a great time should you decide to attend.

Brad Henderson

Hey, ok well cool, I should be going this year.
Should be cool to meet up! And I understand what you mean about corpus, its really one of those places some people like and some people dislike.

Calvin Lauber

Dec 14, 2007
I worked a few corporate meetings there. I had a pleasant time. I would not say I disliked the city at all. Only that the city itself was not a draw. But then again, if the magic convention is hopping, I hardly ever even notice what city it's in!

B

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results