What is this concept called?

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I ask you to choose between ace of spades and ace of clubs. u say ace of clubs, i ask u to look behind ur sofa and there is an envelope with ace of clubs in it. but if u had said ace of spades, I would have said look under the carpet, where there is an envelope with ace of spades in it.

This is a popular concept in mentalism and prediction related magic, where the spectator doesnt know where or how the prediction will be pulled of and so the magician has the option to change the prediction according to what the spectator chooses.

In my local circle we call it dual reality (as in two options). But I want to know what is the proper name of this concept. It has been in magic for too long to not have a name by now. and I need it for referencing in a new trick I am creating. So any help on what this concept is and which magicians have used it earlier will be of great help.

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
Ok, so this is not dual reality, far from it. I won't explain what dual reality but i guess you can find it somewhere on the internet.
The principle you are talking about is called multiple outs.

Oct 19, 2012
bangalore
I think the concept is called magicians choice , Max maven has some cool tricks with this concept . And dual reality is not what you said , dual reality is one where one spectator experience an effect and the whole audience member watching the effect will experience a different effect . Colin mcleod has a great book test using this dual reality , Francis menotti and Patrick redford also have some cool stuff using this . Check it out .

Oct 19, 2012
bangalore
Ok, so this is not dual reality, far from it. I won't explain what dual reality but i guess you can find it somewhere on the internet.
The principle you are talking about is called multiple outs.

Multiple out is a principle used in many ACAAN card tricks . Shin lims uses this principle in his video 'think' .

Sep 1, 2007
This is indeed simply one of many variations on having multiple outs. Larry Becker, Bill Severn, Docc Hilford, Banacheck, Max Maven... pretty much everyone in mentalism has used this at some point. It's also one of the main utilities in mental magic. Pretty universal. Which means if this is for a trick you're inventing, you'll want to do a lot more research than just asking here. There is a 99.9999% chance that someone, probably Anneman, beat you to it.

Dual reality is an entirely different concept and actually more difficult to pull off. It requires a little more ballsiness and some audience management skills that sadly most people don't have.

Magician's choice is another name for equivoque which is the process of forcing a specific choice out of multiple choices through the verbal process of elimination. You can find this in any half-way decent book of mental magic.

Please guys, vet your sources before firing off a theory.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
Oh sorry for writing "Dual reality" honest mistake. in local circle, its called "distorted reality" which was a word we locally made up. So multiple outs it is :D. Thanks a lot guys for telling me. Life savers.

Does anyone know the origins or the originator of Multiple outs?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh sorry for writing "Dual reality" honest mistake. in local circle, its called "distorted reality" which was a word we locally made up. So multiple outs it is :D. Thanks a lot guys for telling me. Life savers.

Does anyone know the origins or the originator of Multiple outs?

Probably some guy about 5 thousand years ago.

Sep 1, 2007
Probably some guy about 5 thousand years ago.

Pretty much. A lot of this stuff is so ancient, and writing our secrets down is such a new phenomenon relatively speaking, that the genesis is lost to time. Even Max Maven when asked who invented the Buddha papers shrugged and said, "Buddha."

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think the concept is called magicians choice , Max maven has some cool tricks with this concept . And dual reality is not what you said , dual reality is one where one spectator experience an effect and the whole audience member watching the effect will experience a different effect . Colin mcleod has a great book test using this dual reality , Francis menotti and Patrick redford also have some cool stuff using this . Check it out .

Multiple outs is correct. It is far from magician's choice, magician's choice means that the spectator is led towards one revelation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results