What Is This Trick?

Mar 3, 2017
I recently saw a video of a magician (Chris Ramsay) performing what I thought was a version of card at any number but much farer. He asks a spectator to name a card aloud. At this point no cards are out it is a random selection from the mind of the spectator.

He then pulls out a deck of cards in the box and hands it to the spectator asking them to select a number between 0 and 25. (In another variation he asks a woman to spell her name).

He then asks them to deal the cards into his hand until they reach the number they chose. Once they reach that number they find that to be their card.

Does anyone know where this trick originated, what it's called, who or what books teach it?

Here is the link to the trick being performed:

Thanx

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I don't know what version he works from, but the Asi Wind version would do it. The Berglas Effect also explains this quite well. Learn as many versions as you can and it will make sense.

Reactions: squirrlz22

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
So I take it from researching the berglas and asi method you both consider it to be a numbers game with a lot of luck or use of stooges?
I refer you back to the above replies. BTW, I was referring to the book titled "The Berglas Effect", not the effect itself. Though that is actually not where I suggest you start. The other suggestions are indeed more appropriate.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
The ACAAN (Any Card At Any Number) routine is one of the holy grails of close-up card magic.

It's a killer and seemingly impossible routine the way Chris Ramsay performs it.

Here's Asi Wind's ACAAN routine, which is a masterpiece of modern magic, and is extremely difficult to perform well as he does here:

And yes, it is a standard deck, if Mr Mnemonica is going to be your new friend, expect a long and complicated relationship.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results