What is your favorite color change?

Jun 20, 2017
I'm just curious to see what the community's favorite color changes are as I'm currently looking to learn a new one to use.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I'm assuming you mean single card or packet colour changes?

My top 3 favorite: (actually just now realizing I don't know too many, only know about... 8 - 10?... and can't perform all of them. Welp, back to the books after this!):
Marlo's Miracle Change - Amazing reactions and I have been able to adapt it into a completely new trick!
Clip Steal Change - Very nice looking. Still practicing it, but its great!
Duck Change - Amazing. Still working on it. Haven't been able to get it in a year of on and off practice.

I also still really like the Twirl Change & Shape Shifter Change (Which is actually the Perrioutte change). Even though they are fairly basic, they get very nice reactions.

Reactions: noxou

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It all depends on the effect and its requirements:

Houdini / Erdnase Change
Paintbrush Change
The Waive Change
Shapeshifter
Snap Change

I also still really like the Twirl Change & Shape Shifter Change (Which is actually the Perrioutte change).

Not exaclty. Marc DeSouza's Shapeshifter is a based on Oscar Munoz's Pierouette change, but the moves are not the same. Marc had actually shown me both of the changes to demonstrate the differences but I can't recall exactly what the difference is. Both Shapeshifter and Pierouette were published in the same issue of Trapdoor in 1993. Both changes are based on Hofziniser's Twirl Change. Unfortunately, the three volume Trapdoor set and the books on Hofziniser haven't made it from my wish list into my library, so I can't provide any more details.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Not exaclty. Marc DeSouza's Shapeshifter is a based on Oscar Munoz's Pierouette change, but the moves are not the same. Marc had actually shown me both of the changes to demonstrate the differences but I can't recall exactly what the difference is. Both Shapeshifter and Pierouette were published in the same issue of Trapdoor in 1993. Both changes are based on Hofziniser's Twirl Change. Unfortunately, the three volume Trapdoor set and the books on Hofziniser haven't made it from my wish list into my library, so I can't provide any more details.

So is it a different handling?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So is it a different handling?

Yes, but I can't remember the difference. The Trapdoor is available in a three volume set from Steve Beam's website at $90 a volume or $250 for the set... as I said, that is on my wish list.

The reference to Hofzinser's Twirl Change is from DeSousa's Deceptions as part of Marc's crediting for Shapeshifter. I've not been able to find a reference to that change anywhere else. I've found some references to Hofzinser's Top Change and a reference to using that as a "transformation" (which as Roberto Giobbi points out in Volume 3 of Card College is a more accurate phrase than "color change") in Kauffman's Cardworks. The material on Hofzinser includes The Magic of J.N. Hofzinser and Hofzinser's Card Conjuring , a Karl Fulves manuscipt Hofzinser's Card Tricks and Hofzinser by Magic Christian. There is a November 2005 article in Genii (article beginning on page 48) listing the sleights and moves invented or modified by Hofzinser. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these books... time to do some shopping.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jul 26, 2016
The three i use most often are: Erdnase/Classic Change, twirl change, and side steal/bottom steal change.

Yes, I like the bottom steal change, but the pack is face up when the move is done, so the card stolen from the "bottom" is actually the top card of the deck. Probably what you meant. I particularly like it for kids because of the jaw-dropping reaction it gets, but good for adults too. It's kind of like what it would look like if you could do real magic - they see a card, and with just an apparent wave of the hand the card is transformed into another. The trick is making sure the cards are perfectly square after the change, Must confess i never felt comfortable with the Erdnase change, though - something about it doesn't look natural - more like doing a move. But, different strokes for different blokes...

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
1 thing I would say is that before you start learning too many different colour changes, see what you can do with the one's you know. For example, the Erdnase Change looks pretty awkward at times. It is absolutely disgusting if you do it without working on it - it looks like you are trying to eat the deck with your hands. But if you work on it, you will find new ways to perform it, present it better, or create something completely different. Whether it be just another handling to make it look cleaner, or a completely "new" way move. A ton of colour changes revolve around the Erdnase Change, and some people perform it perfectly.

My favorite example of this is a handling on a colour change that allows me to throw the card at a spectator, and make it look like the car changes in mid air. I'm still working out the kinks, but I am very happy with how it looks so far.

What I think you should do is pick a few colour changes you like or have access to and really work on them and study them. If you don't like them, move on. No one is saying you have to learn them. But if you really put in the work, you will really get rewarded.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Apr 26, 2013
I like the classic colour change and paint brush change also the change on the front cover of expert card technique by jean Hugard and Frederick Braue unsure of the name

James

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Oh, 1 more that I really like. A tabled change known as the Circle Change, created by Marlo & D'Amico, shown in Revolutionary Card Technique. It utilizes a table palm.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have always thought the Bertram Change was beautiful. I've worked on that one for years to make it as open as possible.

I also do a variation of the Erdnase change that I really enjoy doing. I think the closest version I've seen was on Reel Magic Magazine back in like season 1 or 2, in the Move Monkey section that was called "Every Cloud Has a Silver Zoso". I could be way off on that, but it's what I remember. Basically it's a version that allow the card to be off the deck, allows you to show your hand away from the card before it changes, wave the hand over the card back and forth (showing the "selection" the whole time) then the card changes in an instant.

I also enjoy doing the Shapeshifter change, but that's just for funsies.

Reactions: Theorist19
Apr 11, 2017
York, PA
I'm just curious to see what the community's favorite color changes are as I'm currently looking to learn a new one to use.
I like the 8 card Brainwave color change for packet effect. It gets great reactions and hits hard. I use Paul Richards Double Take for full deck color change. I like the presentation of this effect.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For example, the Erdnase Change looks pretty awkward at times.

The handling I use came from Justin Miller on Army of 52 DVD. It really does look magical.

My favorite example of this is a handling on a colour change that allows me to throw the card at a spectator, and make it look like the car changes in mid air. I'm still working out the kinks, but I am very happy with how it looks so far.

Source? In the Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi there is the Golden Change where a card changes as it is tossed on the table.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Source? In the Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi there is the Golden Change where a card changes as it is tossed on the table.
I kinda made it up on my own by testing the limits of a few changes, and kinda combining that with a card throwing move. I'm gonna play around with it a lot more, but I do plan on releasing it for free in the future.

Oh, and this one allows you to throw the card to a spectator 5 - 10 ft away.

Apr 11, 2017
York, PA
The Eclipse effect by David Loosely is one of my go to signed card color changes. I like the presentation, the impossible ending and the souvenir that can be kept by the spectator.

Aug 24, 2015
I'm assuming you mean single card or packet colour changes?

My top 3 favorite: (actually just now realizing I don't know too many, only know about... 8 - 10?... and can't perform all of them. Welp, back to the books after this!):
Marlo's Miracle Change - Amazing reactions and I have been able to adapt it into a completely new trick!
Clip Steal Change - Very nice looking. Still practicing it, but its great!
Duck Change - Amazing. Still working on it. Haven't been able to get it in a year of on and off practice.

I also still really like the Twirl Change & Shape Shifter Change (Which is actually the Perrioutte change). Even though they are fairly basic, they get very nice reactions.
The Duck Change is giving me fits. I really like it but haven't been able to make any headway on it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results