What makes a magic trick?

morpheis91

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2007
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
In magic I often hear people say that good patter is what makes a magic trick. While this is in part true I believe that the connection made between performer and spectator is far more important. I would like to hear some people's thoughts on this. A thread was most likely started befor like this I apologize I do not want to hear comments like this just what do you think makes an effect?

Apr 28, 2008
I believe you are correct when you say the most important thing is the connection between the performer and spectator.

David Blaine uses very little patter yet still connects with his spectators, this is why he gets insane reactions from relatively simple effects.

Wayne Houchin also talks about this somewhere, I think it might be in the recent roundtable discussion.

It doesn't matter if you've got a load of patter if you don't connect with your spectators you'll probably just bore them.

Jul 29, 2008
I think, that if your patter is good - well, then it might help to get connection between magician and spectator.
However, you should have your own type of patter, and it shouldn't be to boring :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results