What makes your performance strong?

Alex_Pandrea

Creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#a
Sep 28, 2008
New York
Ok so I finally had a day off and decided to just chill and update my blog. Today's topic was....

http://alexpandrea.wordpress.com/

This latest post emphasizes that the effects you perform should be structured in 1) the most powerful way, and 2) the most memorable.

I thought it would be interested to find out about the magic you guys perform (where you perform, to whom, etc.) , what you perform (what effects, favorite effects, etc.) and why you feel they are strong effects to perform (why do you feel the way you perform the effect is the most powerful/memorable). Thanks for your thoughts

Peaceeee^
AP

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Very interesting read Alex.

As a pure mentalist I try to disconnect any idea of sleight of hand in my effects, I want my audience to be believing in my demonstrated abilities more so than the hidden ones that they know exist (sleight of hand, mathematic principles and things of that nature). As for where I perform I am usually in a stand up environment and very rarely do I do any close up. I do believe that all my effects however should be able to be done anywhere no restriction on the stage or just in the hands one on one.

The biggest varibles that I face is timing and what I plan to present. The number one rule I do have though is if I have more than say 2 minutes I want there to be a story present. I want to show the people some form of growth in the effect and the 'power' that I am demonstarting. When I am hired for table hoping (very rarely) I always open with one of two effects and more often than not it is my variation on Prevaricator. I personally believe that this one of the best effects as there is no hidden method as the demonstration uses a method so close to the presented one. It also has room to grow adding more people, which hand games, serial number divinations and much more.

In a lot of my shows I think very much about numbers and odds. I want everyone from people of all mathematical abilities to see that my effects are getting more and more difficult as time goes not. This however is a double edged sword in an example with which hand game is only a 50 / 50 chance and guessing a card is a 1 in 52 chance. I have to way up the pros and cons of the selection critera as to eliminate all the expectations of something underhanded occuring. And as the show goes on I add more and more hurdles to the method that I am performing to help with cementing this fact.

I talked at the begining of my post about 'power' and mentalism. Whilst this power might be psychic in nature like many of the old time mentalists and spirtalists presented their shows as, it could be a more accquired knowoldge that has be come so popular now days. It seems like most mentalist subscribe to one of the two groups. However, in my show I start off with the idea of what I have is a learned ability like the reading body tells and such from Prevaricator. Finally ending with a piece that completely destroys all logic if you are taking what I am doing as a learned ability. Yet with enough dressing it can still look like I am doing this with the same 'method' as the earlier pieces in my show. A perfect example is Derren's Evening of Wonders and the Q&A that he did, rationally it makes no sense espectally as he starts randomly naming off people in the audience but people still believe him.

I have chosen to not include my effects that I will be perfoming for the reason that they are still make up the show I am using.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Its always interesting to read how someones goes into a different setting like your Romania club job. I find it fascinating. I want to get into work such as table hopping and reading things like this will get my mind ready for what will be needed to be successful.

As for what I perform, its mainly card effects but I am still working with coins behind the scenes. I find coin magic much more difficult to pull off so I haven't perform much of it at all. After get the ideas down for a new effect, I put all my effort into the patter. I think about what the trick reminds me of and how I can explain this to the audience. I try to come up with things that they would never expect, yet enjoy. For example, my 3 fly routine that I will eventually preform has to do with the african plain. 3 gazelles are trying to get across to the watering hole but there are predators waiting so they have to be quick, use distractions and such.

Other effects I do also have me thinking about what to say, as I find this hugely important. I have recently been writing out my patter in a Word document to see how it looks and to add things as needed once I perform.

Do you put alot of effort into patter?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I speak to my audience of overcoming yourself. Your physical and spiritual limitations.
I relate it alot to Muay Boran.Muay Kotchasarn, specifically. I mix a demonstration of this martial art with my magic performances.
Thats what Im doing now.
I go in and out of 3 to 4 types of performance characters and acts that are all about things I love to do and am passionate about.

Alex_Pandrea

Creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#a
Sep 28, 2008
New York
Alex, that was a great read. I'd like to hear your thoughts on putting together a formal close up show. By the way, I'm planning a NYC trip for August. I assume you'll be in town.

I'm in Europe at the end of august so come in the beginning ok?... ok good :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results