What to do when someone approaches you for tricks

Jul 30, 2017
Osaka, Japan
For background, I'm very green in magic--about a month now--I'm still practicing the basics and trying to pick up some effects. I only really show effects to my coworkers when we are out drinking, my girlfriend (until she tells me to shut up) and my parents/family/friends when we are sitting around the table after dinner.

Anyway, on to the meat of the thread.

So today I was out in the park practicing ribbon spreads, second deals, double lifts and some other foundational moves on a stone table and a teenager came and sat across from me after losing a dollar to some of the chess hustlers who hang out in the park. I guess he saw the ribbon spread/turnover and asked if I was doing magic. I told him I was practicing while on my lunch break, so he asked me to show him a trick. I did a simple chosen card production by jumping his card out of the deck with a rubber band.

I didn't realize my mistake until after he had called over about 10 of his friends who proceeded to surround my table. They spent the next 15 minutes switching between demands for more tricks and heckling me and calling out that they had seen how every trick was done (although when I asked what they saw they were never actually right). I let one kid have my deck so he could do a trick (it was a well executed, but ultimately obvious trick where he handed me my card face down after showing me an inconsequential card)

This whole run up has been to this main question: what do you do when you're out of tricks/aren't up to perform and people come asking? Should I keep from practicing in the park and keep myself confined to my room/desk until I have a couple sets and solid skills so I'm not so nervous/prone to mistakes?

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience, but if I had known I would end up performing for a small crowd of teens I probably would have said no.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In my opinion, never practice sleights or tricks in public. Flourishes and that sort of thing, no problem. There's no secrets there, just skill. But any time you're in public, treat anything with a secret like it's a professional performance.

You also have to learn how to handle pressure to perform. Personally, with the way I perform, it's pretty rare for people to randomly ask me to perform. I'm too bizarre and out there. The only time I'm ever asked to do stuff is when I'm futzing with a deck of cards.

If I decide I'm going to perform at random, I set the stage and I control the audience, just like when I'm doing a formal performance. I don't let them take my props (You're basically handing over the performance and power at that point), and if they aren't being a fun audience, I pack up and stop. I do this politely, of course, but if I'm not getting paid I'm not going to put up with a crap audience.

Whether or not to perform at random is up to you. There are advantages to saying yes, there are advantages to saying no. You decide if those situations are worth it. Personally, due to the fairly serious nature of my style, I rarely perform randomly. Just remember that in these scenarios you are the one who has the power. If people are giving you a hard time and not appreciating your stuff, nothing wrong with closing up shop. They asked you to do a performance, you have every right to say no at any time. Just learn to do it in line with your performance character.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I think another important thing is knowing if they actually want you to perform. If your out with some friends, and you meet someone new, and someone finds out you do magic, and they ask you to do a trick, a lot of times it is simply because they know your a magician, not because they want to see a trick. If you say no, and they ask again, it means they really want to see the magic, at which point the performance will be pretty enjoyable.

Reactions: OsakaMidnight

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@ChristopherT makes good points. All I have to add is that you should develop a couple of sets of tricks you can perform in that instance. As a beginner, any performance for people makes you better. So have some tried and true effects to perform and then you can add in new effects as you learn them. Take every opportunity to perform... provided you have practiced and rehearsed the effects so they are read to perform.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
There are many 'sins' in magic.
Doing a trick twice
Revealing a trick
Eating while performing
Etc.

One that many people don't talk about is one sometimes referred to as "the dancing clown".
A clown is someone you laughed at. Not with. And a clown is often put in position by kids they probably wouldn't want to otherwise. Such as drawing on their face laughing playing with thier hair, spraying silly string on them and stuff like that. If you want to be a clown, that's perfectly fine. But as a magician if you are put in these positions you have a chance of error. And end up revealing things you don't want to.

If this happens, very simply control the situation and don't do any moves you are uncomfortable. Although, we are all human and sometimes these positions can't be escaped. If this happens: STOP! Sometimes audiences are hard to control and will make you "dance". If you feel uncomfortable simply say"nice meeting you I need to go to work(or any excuse)." When you are not comfortable you may do something stupid (we all do) and I would not want one of your slights exposed.

I know @ChristopherT said something similar but I wanted to add on to that.

Apr 2, 2017
California
When I first started out I would be so excited that people wanted to see my magic. I would show them everything I had up my sleeve *bows for bad pun*

This led to me doing tricks twice and people figuring things out and then the heckling begins. I do really dumb things now when not being paid, for instance.

Person A (usually someone who recognized me from my gigs) walks up and ask for a trick, I will do one routine I practiced for this kind of occasion. Then if or when they ask for more I do something dumb. I ask them to name any card in the deck, they say for example the Ace of spades. I say "The Ace huh?! Why only one I will find all the Aces!". They look intently as I hold he deck and then obviously look through it and show them the Aces. Usually gets a laugh then I hand them my card, say if you want more I'm always available for hire.

With more experience I found leaving people with a solid finisher and wanting more was two things.

A. Good for business.
And
B. Good for my sanity.

Hope that helps.

Jul 30, 2017
Osaka, Japan
@ChristopherT

Thanks for all of the advice. I got swept up in the moment this time and I don't think I'm going to let something like that happen again (or at least not to that level). I don't have any sort of persona for my magic yet, but I honestly don't see myself going down the super serious road, not that it matters much in the current conversation.

With regards to practicing in public, I understand what you're saying, but where exactly does the line for secret/non-secret stop? To me it seems obvious that moves like passing would be out because if not done well or at sensible angles they can be seen and can blow up another magician's spot, but what about things like shuffling controls? Technically they have a secret in them, but without the context of "pick a card any card" I just look like a guy who is really into shuffling in 3 or 4 different ways. What about false cuts or double lifts? Unless they are going to stare me down without speaking to me any layman who walks by me isn't going to have any chance to notice that I'm doing something fishy.

@Maaz Hasan

Thanks, as always, for the comment! It was my first time ever being approached for magic, so I was sort of just seeing stars when the kid asked me. I'll be sure to make sure they really want me before I offer anything up from here on out.

@RealityOne

Thanks for the note! Do you have any suggestions on effects you think stand the test of time? Always interested in hearing other's opinions. Currently I'm rearranging some basic effects that I know to string together into a small routine (3-4 tricks) on how a deck evolves from walking to jumping to flying by using different production methods on one card chosen at the start of the set.

@010rusty

Thanks. As I've said above I was caught up in the moment. I definitely became a dancing clown in that moment. I even described it to a magician friend as feeling like a show animal right after the fact. Do you think its worth it to say in advanced that I only have time for two or three tricks and if they are a good crowd tacking on one or two on the end?

@Ned Devine

You hit the oversized, park practicing, amateur magician square on the head with that one; I was so honored that anyone would even ask that I ended up just doing a run down on all of the basic stuff I know. I don't know if I'm really interested in being a magician for money, but you're definitely right that it would help my sanity and my impression as a magician to leave them wanting more.

Apr 2, 2017
California
@ChristopherT

Thanks for all of the advice. I got swept up in the moment this time and I don't think I'm going to let something like that happen again (or at least not to that level). I don't have any sort of persona for my magic yet, but I honestly don't see myself going down the super serious road, not that it matters much in the current conversation.

With regards to practicing in public, I understand what you're saying, but where exactly does the line for secret/non-secret stop? To me it seems obvious that moves like passing would be out because if not done well or at sensible angles they can be seen and can blow up another magician's spot, but what about things like shuffling controls? Technically they have a secret in them, but without the context of "pick a card any card" I just look like a guy who is really into shuffling in 3 or 4 different ways. What about false cuts or double lifts? Unless they are going to stare me down without speaking to me any layman who walks by me isn't going to have any chance to notice that I'm doing something fishy.

@Maaz Hasan

Thanks, as always, for the comment! It was my first time ever being approached for magic, so I was sort of just seeing stars when the kid asked me. I'll be sure to make sure they really want me before I offer anything up from here on out.

@RealityOne

Thanks for the note! Do you have any suggestions on effects you think stand the test of time? Always interested in hearing other's opinions. Currently I'm rearranging some basic effects that I know to string together into a small routine (3-4 tricks) on how a deck evolves from walking to jumping to flying by using different production methods on one card chosen at the start of the set.

@010rusty

Thanks. As I've said above I was caught up in the moment. I definitely became a dancing clown in that moment. I even described it to a magician friend as feeling like a show animal right after the fact. Do you think its worth it to say in advanced that I only have time for two or three tricks and if they are a good crowd tacking on one or two on the end?

@Ned Devine

You hit the oversized, park practicing, amateur magician square on the head with that one; I was so honored that anyone would even ask that I ended up just doing a run down on all of the basic stuff I know. I don't know if I'm really interested in being a magician for money, but you're definitely right that it would help my sanity and my impression as a magician to leave them wanting more.

No need to do it for money if it's not your thing. I think RealityOne one said it before me but just practice a go to routine when someone asks for magic. I used to do Ambitious Card for everyone because it was an easy to remember routine and I needed the practice. I now have a couple of routines that I call my own but I still do Ambitious Card. my all time favorite go to is my take on card to pocket.

My style is definitely a bit rough for some people, I get gigs for bars and pubs primarily so my act can be a bit "mean". People who know me for magic know I will tell them to go away without thinking twice. Less is more usually.

P.S. I have used what I call the "Omni Deck Escape!" Pretty much the deck disappears and I go "well I guess I'm out of cards... Bye!" And then leave. Lol

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@OsakaMidnight - Get a book called Scarne on Card Tricks. My favorites in there are Calling the Cards, Upside Down Deck, Travelling Aces, You Do as I Do (One Deck), Swimmers, Nomenclature and The Betting Card Trick.

Also get the book Royal Road to Card Tricks. My favorites there are Intuition With Cards, Poker Player's Picnic, Do as I Do, Designed for Laughter, Piano Trick and Ewephindit.

The Scarne effects and some of the Royal Road effects don't use sleight of hand, so they are great to use when someone is burning your hands or heckling you. The other effects use less known sleights which are not that difficult. These are the effects that I'll perform off the cuff for lay audiences. I save the more intricate effects and presentations for more formal shows.

Jul 30, 2017
Osaka, Japan
@Ned Devine
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I like the Omni Deck Escape, mind if I use that one? lol. Though I'll have to work on a deck disapear.

@RealityOne
So many recommendations! Thanks. I already have Royal Road to Card Magic is Royal Road to Card Tricks a different book? I already do Poker Player's Picnic as a prelude to a different four ace production, but I'll be sure to dogear the rest of the effects you mentioned.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree with the "keep one ready" idea. If I happen to be futzing with cards, and I'm asked to do something, and I am in the mood to do something, I have about 5 tricks I'll do. Most of them don't have names, because it's stuff I made up. One is simply jazzing - card is selected and ends up in random places, always easily found by me. Another is my ACR, which I use to end the session - the deck vanishes at the end, so no more card tricks. I still do a version of Poker Player's Picnic that eliminates all the "Take three from the top and move them to the bottom, now deal the three top cards to the tops of those other piles" part, too. That's often the one I do first, to get a taste for what kind of audience they are.

If I really feel like doing a "performance" I shift into suggestion and hypnosis demonstrations.

When I say "Nothing with a secret" I mean just that. Or, to go into more detail, nothing that could be exposed. I only do things in public that I am sure will not be seen - and I assume I am being watched at all times ( I'm not, really, but if you're paranoid about it you're less likely to accidentally expose things). So, if I'm going to practice something in public I only do things I have solid, and I treat it like I'm performing.

Jul 28, 2015
Here's my experience regarding you're situation, I sometimes go to a coffee shop with my cards and mat have myself a coffee and just practice my false shuffles, cuts, bottoms, seconds etc. nothing wrong with you just shuffling cards also I sometimes practice some routines and moves whatever... if you're not showing anybody what your doing and nobody knows what your doing then your not exposing anything... Sometimes and rarely somebody you'd ask me if I do magic and whatnot and ask me if I can show them something usually I would perform some gambling routines ace cutting, poker hand controls etc. If I were to perform some magic I have a couple of quick go to to tricks nothing to long, no acr not really a fan, I usually perform a coincidence type prediction effect i carry in my wallet always, the time machine effect which is a quick little transpo, a sandwich effect etc.

Also as already stated always be in control of you're audience not the other way around, don't let them touch you're props especially if it's "hey let me show you a trick I know" I hate this, I think it belittles you and what you've already done or showed them in my opinion, don't take sh$# from anyone... On the subject of persona just be yourself don't put on an act, I think that situation and mood will tell you how to act, introspective, mysterious, interesting etc. If they're having a good time show them your having a good time to... project what you feel you need to project in the moment again just my opinion...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@RealityOne
So many recommendations! Thanks. I already have Royal Road to Card Magic is Royal Road to Card Tricks a different book? I already do Poker Player's Picnic as a prelude to a different four ace production, but I'll be sure to dogear the rest of the effects you mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Same book, just a typo combining Royal Road to Card Magic and Scarne on Card Tricks. If you've got Royal Road, get Scarne.

Oct 20, 2016
Oklahoma
For background, I'm very green in magic--about a month now--I'm still practicing the basics and trying to pick up some effects. I only really show effects to my coworkers when we are out drinking, my girlfriend (until she tells me to shut up) and my parents/family/friends when we are sitting around the table after dinner.

Anyway, on to the meat of the thread.

So today I was out in the park practicing ribbon spreads, second deals, double lifts and some other foundational moves on a stone table and a teenager came and sat across from me after losing a dollar to some of the chess hustlers who hang out in the park. I guess he saw the ribbon spread/turnover and asked if I was doing magic. I told him I was practicing while on my lunch break, so he asked me to show him a trick. I did a simple chosen card production by jumping his card out of the deck with a rubber band.

I didn't realize my mistake until after he had called over about 10 of his friends who proceeded to surround my table. They spent the next 15 minutes switching between demands for more tricks and heckling me and calling out that they had seen how every trick was done (although when I asked what they saw they were never actually right). I let one kid have my deck so he could do a trick (it was a well executed, but ultimately obvious trick where he handed me my card face down after showing me an inconsequential card)

This whole run up has been to this main question: what do you do when you're out of tricks/aren't up to perform and people come asking? Should I keep from practicing in the park and keep myself confined to my room/desk until I have a couple sets and solid skills so I'm not so nervous/prone to mistakes?

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience, but if I had known I would end up performing for a small crowd of teens I probably would have said no.
Much of what I was going to say has already been said by these folks, so I'll keep it short. I personally do not practice sleights outside of the house or any other area where it's just me for exactly the reasons stated above. I do keep a pack of cards on me at all times and will "fish" sometimes for an audience by doing some flourishes or color changes as I'm walking (if I'm in the mood), but I rarely go up to someone and ask if they want to see a trick or something unless they look interested in what I am doing. The reason for this being that I've found the best times I've had performing have come from people pursuing me and asking me to show them some magic. That way, you don't have to worry if they're interested or not, they're telling you they are! Best of luck!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results