What to get?

Hi all
I realise this is a boring and overused question but I do value your advise. I am into card magic and xcm I have the trilogy and the system and a couple other dvds (army of 52). I have around $170 Australian to buy some products(I think works out at around $140 US). Below are some of the items I was thinking of getting. If you guys and or gals could give your advise on the product and suggest what would be best for me. Also where the best place/price to buy it would be.

-Royal road to card magic (dvd set) to learn and get a good foundation of slights.
-Joe Porper clip from ellusionist going through cards very fast.
-Panic blows me away cheap and fits my style.
-Xtreme beginer to get some more of the basics in xcm. Nice and cheap however probly should master things out of system and trilogy first although finding them tough.

Well thats basically it, sorry if it is to long or if it is in the wrong forum. All help is appreciated:). Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
do u know the basic sleights very well?.. If the answer is true dont buy royal road to card magic, I mean its awesome, but if u know the sleights its not completely necessary, xb is nice buy this one, panic too.. so my opinion is if u know the basic sleights its not completely necessary to buy RRTCM :p hope this helps

Thanks for your speedy reply Aris, I do know the basic slights fairly well however when i looked over the dvd set it has a huge number of controls and things like that. I know a fair few controls but I am always trying to add to my repitwar (bad speeling i no). I supose the thing is would i just pick them up as I go through other dvds with better effects or does this have some strong effects in it aswell as having all those slights. Thanks for your help :D

Sep 3, 2007
Quick tip for you, if you already know some controls, PRACTICE THEM UNTIL YOU CAN DO THEM GOD LIKE. If you learn more controls, but can't perform them well it's pointless, practice one or two controls and make them perfect! I wouldn't recommend extreme beginners if you already have the Trilogy, because that teaches some basics as well, XCM IS HARD. For card effects I suggest getting some of Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles( It think thats what its called ), its a great set of DVDs and you learn a lot. I also suggest picking up an indivisible deck, great as a stand alone effect or an out if you mess up (which you shouldn't...)

If you need anymore help just give me a PM, hope this information helped you!

Thanks for your help I am still wondering about the porper clip if it is worth the price, panic if it is good for a beginer and if you guys recomend it and royal road wether it is worth getting that and how good the effects are. Oh and card miracles sounds good I will look into it do you have any more suggestions or tips. Thanks for all the great help so far:D.
Edit: Also with the "easy to master card miracles" which series do you recomend i start with as I am certainly not experienced but would not call myself a complete beginer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Thanks for your help I am still wondering about the porper clip if it is worth the price, panic if it is good for a beginer and if you guys recomend it and royal road wether it is worth getting that and how good the effects are. Oh and card miracles sounds good I will look into it do you have any more suggestions or tips. Thanks for all the great help so far:D.
Edit: Also with the "easy to master card miracles" which series do you recomend i start with as I am certainly not experienced but would not call myself a complete beginer.

I think that Panic is a wonderful effect, and I think it would be easy for a beginner to learn -- all one has to do is practice, practice, and practice. If you like what you see from the Panic trailer -- and want to be able to perform it -- you get this effect -- for me, it was worth it. Not only do you get Panic, but the DVD includes an additional effect, "Widespread Panic," that when combined with Panic can lead to widespread histeria, no pun intended.

In regards to the porper clip, if you really have problems with cards warping and not lasting very long, then by all means buy it. However, it does cost about $30, with which you can buy about six decks of Guardians. So you have to weight the opportunity cost -- will the $30 dollars for the porper clips help your decks last longer than the six decks of Guardians that you can buy with the same money?

Cheers,
JTM

Shouldn't you have gotten XB before The System?

Panic is an excellent effect btw. Easy and great.

What RRTCM dvd set are you planning to get? I think there are 2, maybe 3.

Do you have the book?

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Dude, master the trilogy first. Then do it for your freinds. Spend your $$$ on Mountain Dew and Red Bull or Halo 3. Unless you think that most of the tricks from the Trilogy a bit too advanced. Then get something more foundational like Royal Road.

I agree with the entire thread.

Forget the porpor unless you're planning on flattening cards you've done one too many LePaul spreads with. It's easier just cracking open a new deck.

Get Royal Road DVD's AND the book with the intention of working on them!!!
Between that and the Trilogy, you really will have your hands full for quite some time!!!

Note: Royal Road and Trilogy are gimmickless and build a foundation for becoming great at sleight of hand.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results