What to perform?

Aug 2, 2012
Just wondering what YOU guys would perform in this situation: Say you are on the street (in a restaurant or whatever) just practicing some flourishes and someone asks if you are a magician. You perform some trick (doesn't matter what) then some groups of people come over and 5-10 different people want you to perform something for them. What would you do?

May 9, 2012
New York
depends what you have on you. you could do smoke by alan rorrison (if you had it) or prohpet by tom isaccson (if you had it). i usually try to keep at least one mind blowing trick on me incase this situation arises.

Mar 21, 2011
It's moments like this when it pays to have an Invisible Deck in your pocket at all times :) (From what I've heard, anyway)

Apr 29, 2012
I've been in this exact situation before, several times, the first time lasted hours because it was a school field trip so I did a lot of stuff just randomly. But card to mouth, any sandwich trick, and of course the tricks purple mustache and sepharoth mentioned kill.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I normally perform Kostya Kimlat's Warning in these situations and then proceed to hand out business cards like mad.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If the moment arises and it feels right to perform I do Kollassal Killer because it's always in my wallet. If it's the right atmosphere I'll do Shinko's arm twist. If it's kids then I'll perform some of Mier Yedid's finger manipulations.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It's an interesting question and ultimately flawed, asking what I would do is is the same as asking what clothes I wear.

I am not sure why everyone is suggesting organic magic you have your cards out you may as well use them. short of knowing your skill level and repertoire not to mention your character and personality. I guess slop shuffle triumph is one of the best effects you can do, also look into back in time by jay sankey as it is one of the best takes on the plot. (not to mention it takes the presentation away from so this drink guy did this.)

most card effects follow a fairly linear path pick a card, lose it, find it. And it only it shows you can control a single card, triumph routines demonstrate control over the entire deck.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If I were in the mood to perform, I would do any number of tricks which involve multiple people or can at least by enjoyed by multiple people. Most of my card work fits this category, so I'd just do whatever came to mind.

Aug 17, 2010
Just wondering what YOU guys would perform in this situation: Say you are on the street (in a restaurant or whatever) just practicing some flourishe

The only time I do that is when I'm busking. I have an act for that.

It's not a bad idea to have a set ready. This makes it so your tricks have a build, and that you end strong.

The secret to a good impromptu performance is to have it rehearsed.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
Use the cards for a bit while they are out but I'd say after a few cards get REALLY old. I do "seemingly" impromptu effects. Ring Flight, Ignition, Ring effects, Timeless, etc... Makes things look impromptu but really aren't. If I have loops I do a few effects with those. It's all about what you would do. This is my example of what I would do but that could change with each person. Some like just card tricks some stay away from them and some do mentalism only. Just perform really.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Normally people don't ask this question, because I don't practice card sleights out in the streets or in public.

But let's say for arguments sake that somebody knows that I do magic. Well, I would tell them that I'll do something for later on this week or next. Then when the time came, I would probably perform whatever I have been working on for the past couple months.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results