What tricks do you guys normally do at a party?

Hey guys Kenny here again,

So recently i have been invited to a party and since i am a magician they asked if i could preform some tricks so i agreed to do so but I don't know whether to just stick to cards tricks or coin tricks or both.

So i would like to know what tricks do you guys do at a party.
Thanks for taking time to read and reply

:p

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
It depends of what you are trying to achieve...

if you want people to hire you maybe you should do all kinds of tricks and show that you know how to behave with an audience...

I personally only do one super-strong trick...just to create rumours and reputation...

Sep 18, 2010
Stick with cards if their drunk. Do the impossible. Fool them. Have fun. Keep it easy and strong so you could stick more to presentation rather than sleights. Start with something mentalistic, to make them think that maybe you can read minds, but they wont be shure at that point wtf you are. Then do something fast and tricky maybe like amitious card. And then start doing the completely impossible harcore **** to make them SCREAM. Thats what I like. I would recommend something like ultimate transpo, biddle trick, angle zero, card to somewhere. This stuff will kill if you present it good. One dude once said to me after a show like that: "dude if I would be a chick I would be anal raping you right now in the bathroom". And he was serious.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Actually, if they're drunk, stay away from cards. They are more likely to forget their card, they will try to be smart ***** and lie about what their card is etc. I would avoid anything where they have to remember something (remember a card, date on a coin, etc.). Any thing that is simple, visual and direct, for instance rubber bands linking, metal bending, ring thru straw, bill change would work for drunk people.

Instead of asking exactly what other people do, play around with the effects you have and do what YOU want to do and find what works best for YOU. It is ok to ask for opinions on things on the market and to ask for opinions on effects you do but a lot of people aren't going to want to come right out and tell you exactly what they perform in certain situations.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Actually, if they're drunk, stay away from cards. They are more likely to forget their card, they will try to be smart ***** and lie about what their card is etc. I would avoid anything where they have to remember something (remember a card, date on a coin, etc.). Any thing that is simple, visual and direct, for instance rubber bands linking, metal bending, ring thru straw, bill change would work for drunk people.

No offense, mate, but that really depends on the people who are drinking and how much they have drank. I have had my fair bit of experiences that uses cards and involving drunk spectators, and they usually are successful. You just have to let them have their jokes and be patient. It's a mis-perception that if you drink, you can't remember. If you give them enough reasons to remember, they will, at least for that time. If they are plastered and hammered and is a lost cause, you wouldn't want to do magic in the first place. Ultimately, it just comes down to letting the audience relate to what you are doing.

Do note, when they are drunk, they are more heckle-y. But they are not hecklers, they just have less inhibitions. If you still want to perform to them, just let them have what they want, and again, patience is a virtue.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I would say, if they are way to drunk, don't let them handle anything. Just let them watch.
I was performing at a party, and there were all levels of drunkness in the room. And I wanted to do magic for everybody, etc.
And there was this really drunk guy, who was reacting really well to everything I did, so I decided to do sponge balls to him (big mistake). He was amazed at all these balls appearing from nowhere, and then I gave him one ball to hold in his hand, and then he just simply put the sponge ball in his mouth :D Haha, I am still laughing when I think of that.
So yeah, don't let really drunk people handle your props.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I would say, if they are way to drunk, don't let them handle anything. Just let them watch.
I was performing at a party, and there were all levels of drunkness in the room. And I wanted to do magic for everybody, etc.
And there was this really drunk guy, who was reacting really well to everything I did, so I decided to do sponge balls to him (big mistake). He was amazed at all these balls appearing from nowhere, and then I gave him one ball to hold in his hand, and then he just simply put the sponge ball in his mouth :D Haha, I am still laughing when I think of that.
So yeah, don't let really drunk people handle your props.

I would simply not perform for drunk people...just hang out...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This happens to me a great deal fellas. A lot of people know that I am a paid performer and do gigs around town so people feel that if I am out a party somewhere that is NOT a paying gig, that I will just stand there and perform as if I was doing a full blown show. NO NO NO. Do not become the trained monkey.

Give them a little taste of about two or three effects and throw down some business cards before you leave. This has paid off for me numerous times. Leave them wanting more so that they call you for their next "party" or event.

I will normally do Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Mismade Bill, and end with a card effect like Biddle or Sloppy Triumph.

do magic that you no need to talk much...
do something more visual..

i usually like STIGMATA by WH (although require to talk a lot^^)
else just do standart ambitious card and i saw the card to make sure people not forget it..^^

Instead of asking exactly what other people do, play around with the effects you have and do what YOU want to do and find what works best for YOU. It is ok to ask for opinions on things on the market and to ask for opinions on effects you do but a lot of people aren't going to want to come right out and tell you exactly what they perform in certain situations.

Haha sure i understand what you're saying but i would just like to know what YOU guys are preforming. Thats all

Apr 1, 2009
California
Depends on if it's for hire or not. If not, I usually just enjoy the party... I have a few things at the back of my head just in case something should come up. If for some reason they do ask me, parties tend to have cans of either beer or soda... which opens up the opportunity for Fizz Master or Sinful. Even Joe Blow has become a go to effect. I may have a coin on me for the Coin Falling Up trick. which is fun. And if I'm really in the mood... Sawing a Lady In Half is great if in the right atmosphere.

If its an impromptu thing I'll normally do some money magic: mis-made bill, 5-and-1 transpo, EB 2.0
Card to pocket (gregory wilson's version)
and Pressure

If they specifically ask me to bring a trick or two it's Thread, Liquid Metal, and sponge balls

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
This happens to me a great deal fellas. A lot of people know that I am a paid performer and do gigs around town so people feel that if I am out a party somewhere that is NOT a paying gig, that I will just stand there and perform as if I was doing a full blown show. NO NO NO. Do not become the trained monkey.

Give them a little taste of about two or three effects and throw down some business cards before you leave. This has paid off for me numerous times. Leave them wanting more so that they call you for their next "party" or event.

I will normally do Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Mismade Bill, and end with a card effect like Biddle or Sloppy Triumph.

Great advice!! that actually happens to me a lot...also I got calls on weekend from people inviting me to their parties...and be sure I don`t forget my cards...I hate that...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results