What we used to be

Throughout the late 1800’s and into the early 1900’s Magicians traveled as part of a traveling caravan of performers. It was like a traveling “America’s got talent” show.

The great Houdini made his mark this way, and, as we all know, later became the king of all magicians, past, present, and future. As our beloved art of magic progressed, it became a stand-alone event for the better magicians like Thurston, Keller, and Blackstone.
Back in the “golden age” of magic, magicians were not in abundance as they are today. There were no Internet magic sites that could make you a magician if you had a few dollars on a credit card, and you couldn’t buy the secrets to the latest and greatest magic trick. It was a closed society, and those who were invited in, had to work their butts off as an apprentice for years to get the status of “Magician”.

Magicians back then were men of distinction. They were considered “gentlemen” and were welcomed into the circles of “high society’s elites”. When a magic show would come to town, people would line up to get in. Promoters would have field agents pin up posters, get newspaper articles written, and the stage would be set weeks in advance of the Magician’s arrival. The buzz would build until the night of the performance.

In 1997 Harry Blackstone Jr. had his final performance. He passed away in May of the year. With his passing, I believe we lost the last of the Classic magicians. I had the honor and privilege knowing him, and being present at his last performance.

Blackstone was a stage magician, but he knew his way around a deck of cards. After his last performance our local IBM ring gathered a house party in his honor where he sat “teaching” us about magic. “ I can make a light bulb light up and float around the stage and even over the audience with a few “magical gestures”, and it is amazing and entertaining, but to do a decent card trick and make it equally entertaining take five times more work. You have to have personality to do close-up magic well.”

“I would rather see the worst magic trick in the world presented with personality, then the best card trick done with none.” That last sentence has been burned into my mind since hearing him say it. If you look back at the greats of magic, and even some of the new guys, they all have that one thing in common. They all have unique personalities.

That’s my rambling for the day.

Curtis “Miles of Magic”

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Wow, you knew Blackstone Jr? That's freakin awesome! That was a good read Curtis. I really wish that magic was the way it was back in the day because it was more respected (and probably much more impressive to watch) back then.

Curtis,

You definitely hit the nail on the head with this one. One such example of a close-up magician with a good personality is Bill Malone. He has to be one of my favorite entertainers of all time.

But, you also have to have a big personality for stand-up magic too. You can't just be doing trick after trick.

I've always said this...get them (the audience) to like YOU, and they'll like what YOU DO. It's that simple. Also, if you actually ENTERTAIN an audience, as opposed to just doing magic, then the magic will come naturally.

Best.
Steve

Aug 31, 2007
California
“ I can make a light bulb light up and float around the stage and even over the audience with a few “magical gestures”, and it is amazing and entertaining, but to do a decent card trick and make it equally entertaining take five times more work. You have to have personality to do close-up magic well.”

THIS, is the quote that hit me the hardest. Thank you for sharing this Curtis, and I have to say again that I am very happy to see you around again.

A questions I have for you, Curtis, is if you think that since magic has changed since then, if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Thanks,

Keenan

THIS, is the quote that hit me the hardest. Thank you for sharing this Curtis, and I have to say again that I am very happy to see you around again.

A questions I have for you, Curtis, is if you think that since magic has changed since then, if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Thanks,

Keenan

Keenan,
I think it is a double edged sword. In one way, it is a great and wonderful thing. New magic being created ( we desperatley need that ) new younger working pros out there ( we needed that too). Still, I think we have lost a good bit of the spark that made magic amazing and entertaining. I feel we have abanded the "Classiness" of magic in favor of the "street-grundge" look and feel. It is almost like magic has been commonized, or even made trivial. I think a lot of the root cause is the availibility of magic as it is today. In the "old times" much more work and effort went into it.
The evolution of anything is dependant on it's ability to change, adapt, and overcome adversity, magic is no exception. I just feel we need a touch or two of the formalness, and class that we once had. Or, maybe I am just too damn old school and unwilling to accept change.

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

Aug 31, 2007
California
Keenan,
I think it is a double edged sword. In one way, it is a great and wonderful thing. New magic being created ( we desperatley need that ) new younger working pros out there ( we needed that too). Still, I think we have lost a good bit of the spark that made magic amazing and entertaining. I feel we have abanded the "Classiness" of magic in favor of the "street-grundge" look and feel. It is almost like magic has been commonized, or even made trivial. I think a lot of the root cause is the availibility of magic as it is today. In the "old times" much more work and effort went into it.
The evolution of anything is dependant on it's ability to change, adapt, and overcome adversity, magic is no exception. I just feel we need a touch or two of the formalness, and class that we once had. Or, maybe I am just too damn old school and unwilling to accept change.

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

I completely agree.

But, it is not completely lost. There are still many many people trying to keep that old age of magic around, that classiness, that true magical feel to their magic. People like Armando Lucero, Paul Vagil, you could also say Copperfield, for someone who most people will know.

Let's do something about it than.

Does your magic reflect these feelings?

I know that my magic is adapting to how I feel on this subject... Maybe all of ours should....

Keenan

Once again is all comes back down to performance and presentation. Sure we can levitate, but can we make it truly magical? That is what is really important. Now with the passing of some of the classic magicians, it is time for us younger magicians to step it up and become the new generation of magic, we have to carry the art like it once was.

Mitchell

Well if you look at it this way, magic has not changed all that much.

The way I mean is relatively, in comparison to the level of hardship in the world now to the level back then. The amount of work put in is still the same in proportion.

Way back then people were used to having to do things the hard way, to work really hard for almost everything, Now we have all these things to make our lives easier that they are easier as a whole.

The amount of work/practice to do magic now pretty much equals that of our golden years, but only because it was hard then but so was life, its easier now but so is life.

If you want to look at it that way. I still don't disagree that it was harder back then but you get my point, I hope.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Well if you look at it this way, magic has not changed all that much.

The way I mean is relatively, in comparison to the level of hardship in the world now to the level back then. The amount of work put in is still the same in proportion.

Way back then people were used to having to do things the hard way, to work really hard for almost everything, Now we have all these things to make our lives easier that they are easier as a whole.

The amount of work/practice to do magic now pretty much equals that of our golden years, but only because it was hard then but so was life, its easier now but so is life.

If you want to look at it that way. I still don't disagree that it was harder back then but you get my point, I hope.

Imagine not having a computer. Imagine not having a phone. Imagine that the mail didn't get to your house in two days. Imagine if you didn't have a tv, a radio, a cell phone, etc.

Imagine if you had to learn everything from a "master" and you were his apprentice. Imagine if you didn't have a master. Imagine if you only had to learn by yourself and one or two books you might have.

Harder? I think so.

Keenan

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Thankyou for sharing Curtis. I enjoyed reading some of Blackstone's words.

I think magic has not only lost some of it's class, but some of it's respect. Back in those days, secrets were closely guarded, and people had to train as an apprentice to become part of the scene. It built an anticipation for the craft, and instilled respect in the apprentice.

These days, people can buy any trick over the net, any time they want. This can be great! But it can also lead to a lack of appreciation for the effects, and in turn not enough energy and time is spent on them.

By taking time with each effect we have, with each new principal, we can begin to bring that respect back, into our effects, our history and our performance.

Something to think about.

Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
First of all, you all have very good points. What I say is only my opinion, and I'm not saying that anybody is wrong. I doubt that it would seem like it at all anyways, but I just want to be clear with my intentions.

Now, in my opinion, comparing the magic of today to the magic of yesterday is like comparing anything now to itself in the past. For example, art: These days you can see art all over, pictures in mass print at stores, on cards, on the internet even. You can find amateur art all over the place. In the past, the only art that was widely known was famous art. Is it not the same with magic now? You can find weak magic on the internet all over, while in the past the only magic that was widely known would be the big names in the theaters.

This isn't a bad thing though. If somebody sees a beginner's artwork, he can be impressed by it and wish to pursue that art himself, or he may think it is completely horrid. If he thinks it is horrible, wouldn't it make sense that he will appreciate a master's artwork even more so then? If somebody gets on the internet and sees a poor performance of magic and thinks that all magic is just stupid, then they get their mind blown away by a great performer... isn't that only enhancing the magic? Maybe they see the trick and try it for themselves, then realize how fun magic is and they start investing in actually performing magic... That only added to the magic community, did it not?

I know there are plenty of ways to disagree with this approach, I'm just trying to broaden the though here. An abundance of amateurs leaves the aces (no pun intended) a bigger stage (again, no pun?) on which to display their expertise. It makes people appreciate that magician's skill even more. Just a few of my thoughts.

Peace

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results