What.

Apr 1, 2009
California
You know those beautiful moments in life where you are truly. deeply. fooled? I experienced one today.

Sitting in the barracks, just minding my own business. When comes along a fellow soldier. A simple layman. He sees a half dollar by my side. Asks if I use it for magic (it got around that I do magic). I said that I'm trying to start using coins a bit more. He said, cool. Then said he doesn't know do magic or anything, but asked if he could borrow the coin to show me something he did know with a coin. The "one" trick he knows. He fastened his watch. I watched closely. He took the coin. spoke about strength (bigger fellow) and how some people can flatten coins with enough heat. Next thing you know, the coin vanished. hands held up. wasn't the watch. wasn't a palm. brilliant. I just had to come on here and talk about it. I had to lose my "magician ego" and congratulate him.

Jun 1, 2009
That's pretty awesome. I have some people (usually dads) try and show me an old coin trick or two, and then tell me how to do it. I sometimes act like I didn't know he had a second coin palmed or whatever, and say "nice." That's really cool though that you let go of being a magician for that moment and enjoyed the magic. Good story, thanks for sharing.

Jacob

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The power of good misdirection and bar-bets. . .

You'll find tons of good stuff along these lines in the pubs -- bar betchyas as they were once known.

Being in the military you may want to pick-up material on bar and improvisational magic; check with Stevens Magic in the U.S. they have several VHS videos (dont' know if any have been turned to disc yet) about these very things featuring Malone, Mullicca, Kornhauser and others of note.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Ok. see. that's where this was different. this wasn't a bar bet type of thing. he taught it to me later. it was a beautiful vanish with a clever and surprisingly risky method that most magicians wouldn't have the nerve to pull off live. And I'm pretty covered when it comes to material but thank you for the recommendation. I will look ink that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results