Whats a great camera for cardistry/magic?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I've been using a Canon T3i for the majority of my cardistry videos. It has very nice filming capabilities and an articulated LCD screen, which is essential for anyone filming by themselves. A Canon T5 is a pretty decent piece of kit, pretty pricey as well. How experienced are you with filming videos or with cameras in general? What "look" are you going for, what features are really essential to you?

With that kind of budget, I would focus more on the lens rather than the body of the camera. Here's a nice comparison video if you're interested. The 550D shown in this video is actually the model right below the T3i. So you should get a nice idea of the importance of lenses. [video=youtube;hk5IMmEDWH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
T3i is a nice consumer DSLR. You can get the body for relatively cheap since they are up to the T5i. Get yourself a prime lens like the 50mm 1.8f and then put Magic lantern firmware on the SD card. (Make sure you get a class 10 SD card too. Most anything else won't work well)

Jan 29, 2011
The District
Don't forget to buy a tripod, even if it's a small one or a bendy one like the Gorillapod.

Otherwise your filming gets limited to direct, head-on shots. That usually means crotch-shots and headless body-shots...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I shoot everything on my Canon T3i, with a tripod, 50 mm 1.8 lens just like Bizarro said. I assure you though it will take some practice to learn your lighting, exposure, shutter speeds, etc. It won't be as easy as just hitting the record function and having a sweet looking film. I'm not trying to discourage you, but am telling you it will take some practice for sure until you are creating those clear crisp videos you see in advertising decks / tricks.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Invest in a good microphone too. I used a wired lavalier. Also if you are gonna be shooting by yourself, get a remote control that can shoot still AND activate video. That way you can focus on yourself and then begin to record.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results