What's so great about it?

Apr 27, 2008
I first started working with cards of course did the whole magic thing and started to pick up on a few flourishes like double 190 helix, werm, one or two more from dan and dave and I just do not see where the interest plays into it.

I am in no way bashing flourishing because it looks amazing but imo it is performed only for you since the spectator may state "cool", or "that's neat you can spin cards." What makes you continue to practice?

This is a question to kinda help defend your skill set, so why do you do it? WHy do you flourish when the only real person getting anything out of it is you? Why don't you just pick up some magic and stop with the flourishing?

Again just some things to see where people stand on flourishing and why they love it so much, and believe me when I say it is just amazing.

Aug 23, 2008
I think it doesn't really mather that only you are the spectator, I don't think everything you do with card has to be "for someone".

Next to that, I totally love the magic tricks with flourishy moves, so I guess if you embed it into your magic routine it can make it so much more.

My 2 cents

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Because i flourish for myself.
So that im entertained while waiting in line or whatever.
Others do it for spectators but its for my own personal enjoyment. And i get a sense of accomplishment in myself when i master a particularly difficult flourish.
I prefer that over a game boy.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
In all honesty, I think magic is geeky in general -not that I hate it or anything.
If you do magic only for your spectators, and not for fun... GROW SOME...
Why do people play football? Soccer? Basketball? etc?!
because they enjoy it. 99.99% of them dont do it to get on the big screen.
I enjoy flourishing.

I hate threads like these.... asking "why do you do flourishing?! oh the spectator does this, oh the spectator won't like that!" or something like that... Well, the spectator can [edited]

I hate threads like these...

-Eugene

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I am by no means a good flourisher, and I only know a few, but I use them to get attention. If I want some people to notice me on the street, or if I have only a few people around and I want others to gain inrest in what's going on I will do a few flourishs and throw some cards in the air. I like to do what Oz Pearlman calls the long distance spinner, I'm sure it has lots of names. That grabs peoples attention.

Once I have people thoroughly interested I will move away from flourishing and do some magic.

Oct 24, 2007
First, your premise is incorrect. Flourishing isn't just for you, it can be for spectators too (ha ha, I rhymed). Anyway, I'll give an example.

One day while at school, between classes I was sitting at a table in the student lounge with some friends, bored. So, I pulled out a deck of cards and started flourishing, I look up and my friends were looking at me with their mouths wide open. They said, "Wow! That's amazing! It's mind-boggling! I look at a deck of cards and the cards fly everywhere, but you're amazing!".

Now, know that I flourish and also do magic (and they knew this), and flourishing like that actually opened up a window for them wanting to see me perform magic (which it is always good if your spectator is truly interested). The next Wednesday when I was sitting in the same spot and they asked me to perform for them, which opened up a whole new door. Now I have a following around school and people are calling me "Spiderman" because the cards seem to stick to me hands. Anyway, flourishing can be for spectators, it's entertaining. It's acrobatics with your hands and it mesmerizes spectators.

Tyler

Dec 10, 2007
I first started working with cards of course did the whole magic thing and started to pick up on a few flourishes like double 190 helix, werm, one or two more from dan and dave and I just do not see where the interest plays into it.

I am in no way bashing flourishing because it looks amazing but imo it is performed only for you since the spectator may state "cool", or "that's neat you can spin cards." What makes you continue to practice?

This is a question to kinda help defend your skill set, so why do you do it? WHy do you flourish when the only real person getting anything out of it is you? Why don't you just pick up some magic and stop with the flourishing?

Again just some things to see where people stand on flourishing and why they love it so much, and believe me when I say it is just amazing.

well you sort of stated MY reason for doing it right in your post. I do it for me. Magic is all about your spectators, flourishing is all about you. People can watch if they want, but if your just doing it so that you can say "hey look what i can do" then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Practicing flourishes is like meditation for me... i throw on some music and just practice for like 4 or 5 hours. Its relaxing and fun.

Mar 29, 2008
asking "why do you do flourishing?! oh the spectator does this, oh the spectator won't like that!" or something like that... Well, the spectator can [edited]
-Eugene

I am definately qouting that

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
Some spectators do like simple flourishes. The pirrouette (sp.), card spring, and long distance spinner are some examples. Some people even like complex cuts. "he even shuffles awesomely" is a quote from one of my friends who have watched me flourish.

May 18, 2008
Geez... That is a hard question.

I find it has a very few benefits of that... Like attention getting and whatnot.

But I do it as a challenge. When I started about 4 months ago, I began by thinking, I will never be able to do that.

So I am keeping at it until I am as good as d+M!

It is almost a test for myself and I use it as a form of meditation.

Oct 28, 2007
because it is fun, it helps to grow my dexterity with cards people are impressed and as a little bonus you get some positive credit from other magicians which is nice for a little boost.

Apr 27, 2008
Eugene.... I love your response. I am glad everybody took this the right way and understood I was not bashing but just trying to see how you would defend what you like to do. True, the spectator can suck your left one and make the right one jealous but still wont leave them happy, just you still :D. Thanks everybody.

Nov 18, 2007
For me, flourishing is my way of keeping myself occupied. When I get bored, it is something I can always do.
I even have a deck in my car.
WARNING: NEVER FLOURISH WHILE OPERATING A MOVING VEHICLE!
Yeah, it's dangerous.

Because i flourish for myself.
So that im entertained while waiting in line or whatever.
Others do it for spectators but its for my own personal enjoyment. And i get a sense of accomplishment in myself when i master a particularly difficult flourish.
I prefer that over a game boy.

That is so true. If you always had to do something for someone then it would

probably stop being fun since you always have to find something that will amaze then

when instead it is more fun to learn difficult flourishes for yourself

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
flourishing is a form of visual art, when your flourishing (well) its a form of art your creating with your hands.
like a painting, your creating an image with paint.
when you paint you are expressing yourself in the painting

your flourishing should express a part of you.
every move should be fluid like its another part of you.
(no i cannot do this but im working on it)

I see flourishing, like i see magic. as an art to be perfected, to be practiced and enjoyed by yourself and others.

just my take on the subject

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
For me, flourishing is my way of keeping myself occupied. When I get bored, it is something I can always do.
I even have a deck in my car.
WARNING: NEVER FLOURISH WHILE OPERATING A MOVING VEHICLE!
Yeah, it's dangerous.

lol i tryed that, doing one handed cuts while driving.

not a smart move hahaha

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results