What's the point?

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
Alright, I've had it.

What the hell are you trying to do with this? We got such a great thing, a battle system, where we can upload our performances and then vote for the better ones.

And 9/10 people over here is uploading crappy webcam videos of THEMSELF, doing a vertigo/sybil/badly performed patterless effect.

What are you trying to do? Get some fame on the internet? Equal to youtube exposers in my opinion.

I think we should forbid any videos that aren't taken in front of an audience. That is, only keeping the real PERFORMANCES in play.

And if we are at it, I've seen very few XCMers actually show their work to people. The few "jams" I've seen that included people were one of the best things I saw in here, really. Go out for god's sake.

Artists, do something about it. "Revolutionary", sure.

-Seb

May 10, 2008
You also have to consider that while not everyone has a video camera, alot of people have web cameras. Thus making it very, very, awkward to film in front of a live audience. As for them being as bad as youtube exposers, I think you're exaggerating ALOT.

Apr 28, 2008
I agree to some extent. The battle system is great but certainly needs a bit of refinement.

The most annoying thing to me is the incredibly specific challenges people make just so it suits them. I think something needs to be done about this. Perhaps you should be able to challenge somebody by choosing from a list of battles, e.g. There could be a list including stuff like Best Production, Best original card effect, Best oringinal coin effect etc.

For example, there's a thread around that says best performance of The Queens but you can't use the Clip Shift. When I read that I was thinking WTF. You tell people a particular sleight can't be used simply because you can't do it?

I agree to some extent. The battle system is great but certainly needs a bit of refinement.

The most annoying thing to me is the incredibly specific challenges people make just so it suits them. I think something needs to be done about this. Perhaps you should be able to challenge somebody by choosing from a list of battles, e.g. There could be a list including stuff like Best Production, Best original card effect, Best oringinal coin effect etc.

For example, there's a thread around that says best performance of The Queens but you can't use the Clip Shift. When I read that I was thinking WTF. You tell people a particular sleight can't be used simply because you can't do it?

You are right Squ!rrely. I agree even though I don't have any video cameras. And about the battle list, it's a good idea, but only as an option. The point of the battles is that people can specify challenges (As bad as they are) to better suit their style, skill level etc.

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
I agree.I agree with you 100% To be quite honest, I'm getting a little tired of people who film themselves doing a trick/effect in thier room to a camera. It's become a little too repetitive. I honestly doubt any of us buy, learn, and perform these effects just to show it to the camera. We put our time, effort, and patience into these powerful effects to get amazing reactions, from real people.

I don't mind as much when it comes to flourishes. However, I don't learn a new flourish for the sake of learning a new flourish. Like any magic trick, if I'm going to practice a flourish for a week or 2, I would want someone to see my ability to manipulate those cards like no one else can.

D

Deleted member 2755

I agree.I agree with you 100% To be quite honest, I'm getting a little tired of people who film themselves doing a trick/effect in thier room to a camera. It's become a little too repetitive. I honestly doubt any of us buy, learn, and perform these effects just to show it to the camera. We put our time, effort, and patience into these powerful effects to get amazing reactions, from real people.

I don't mind as much when it comes to flourishes. However, I don't learn a new flourish for the sake of learning a new flourish. Like any magic trick, if I'm going to practice a flourish for a week or 2, I would want someone to see my ability to manipulate those cards like no one else can.

I agree 100%.

-Doug

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
It's nice to see I'm not the only one thinking this.

I honestly doubt any of us buy, learn, and perform these effects just to show it to the camera.
I honestly think this is the case of 70% of so-called "magicians" in here and other internet sites. 12 year olds just showing magic to a camera, then putting it on youtube, hoping to get a good response. Of course they don't, so they use the other options, aka exposure. It's not the case with all the new magicians, but I still think way too less people actually perform to an actual audience outside their family/close friends.

It just bugs me out, we should make some rules for this battle system.

However, I don't learn a new flourish for the sake of learning a new flourish. Like any magic trick, if I'm going to practice a flourish for a week or 2, I would want someone to see my ability to manipulate those cards like no one else can.
Same here. Most kids do this. They just learn XCM and keep it in their room and on the webcam. What a waste of time and effort.

-Seb

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I agree to an extent. I have a flourishing battle coming up tomorrow against Zachmonky, and I tried to take it out of the realm of "sitting in my house doing flourishing". Now granted, I'm not even close to as good as some of the people on here... heck, even the majority of the people here are better than me.

But I tried to make up for that with cool locations, good music, etc. I think you guys will like it... even if it's not the best flourishing you've ever seen.

Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma

Sorry Squ!rrel, I usually agree with posts you make over 'issue' topics but this is where I disagree. If there were only lists we could choose from, then we would have ALOT of repeat stuff it would same, it may not much others exact routine but it would get boring watching the same type of stuff.

As to the thread about Queens - I believe you are referring to Zach's thread. In thread it say's it must be done with the Jacks, but it must be original in a 'Queens' style. Also, how do you know he can't do th CS? There are way to many people utilizing the ClipShift wether or not they can preform it well, maybe he put in there 'No ClipShift' because he's getting tired of it - Think about it.

-SM

Sep 3, 2007
You know, some people (Me) can't hold a camera and do magic for people at the same time. Some people are too young to approach random people and do magic.

Apr 28, 2008
Sorry Squ!rrel, I usually agree with posts you make over 'issue' topics but this is where I disagree. If there were only lists we could choose from, then we would have ALOT of repeat stuff it would same, it may not much others exact routine but it would get boring watching the same type of stuff.

As to the thread about Queens - I believe you are referring to Zach's thread. In thread it say's it must be done with the Jacks, but it must be original in a 'Queens' style. Also, how do you know he can't do th CS? There are way to many people utilizing the ClipShift wether or not they can preform it well, maybe he put in there 'No ClipShift' because he's getting tired of it - Think about it.

-SM

The list wasn't a very good idea at all, it was just a thought.

However, I stand by what I said on the Clip Shift. Why stop people using it, it's just another sleight. It just seems like sayin 'Best ACR with no diagonal palm shift'. It just puts somebody who has spent the time to learn the diagonal palm shift at a disadvantage.

I really can't see why the Clip Shift is treated differently, just about every sleight around is on Youtube performed badly

Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma
The list wasn't a very good idea at all, it was just a thought.

However, I stand by what I said on the Clip Shift. Why stop people using it, it's just another sleight. It just seems like sayin 'Best ACR with no diagonal palm shift'. It just puts somebody who has spent the time to learn the diagonal palm shift at a disadvantage.

I really can't see why the Clip Shift is treated differently, just about every sleight around is on Youtube performed badly

I see why your saying that, I understand you now to. Earlier you didn't make your point over the CS very clear to me, apologies.

-SM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results