What's this trick?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I saw a video once that showed a trick that appealed to me. I cant find the video anymore so i was hoping you guys could help me find what i'm looking for. The effect goes like this:

A spectator selects a card and it's lost in the deck. The spectator point there finger on the table towards you. You spread the cards in front of their finger and the card they're pointing at is their card.

So if you know the name of this trick or where i can learn it, please let me know. Thanks!

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
There is a trick sort of like this, with a more comedic approach to it. Bill Malone coined it "I should have done it myself". It's in his On the Loose series, not sure which.

You pick a card, its lost in the deck. The cards are spread randomly on the table and the spectator is asked to place one on the magicians hand, face down. After some hyping, the magician reveals the card, albeit the worng one.

he mumbles to himself: "I'm sorry, I should have done it myself, these things don't usually happen..."

And their selected card is stuck to the back of the magicians' hand as he tidies up the table!

totally impromptu, a true classic ;)

Gustav

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The spreading sounds like it's an estimation type thing... This isn't the effect you saw, but you might be interested in an effect called Deal or No Deal on Alex Moffat's DVD Illusion Through Expectation - after dealing to two of the selected four of a kind, the last two are revealed face up in the spread of cards exactly where the spectator is pointing his two fingers.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm not sure of how to do that particular effect although with a little bit of thought you could come up with something very similar. There's many ways to switch out a card in a spread for one you have in a palm.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
I'm not sure of how to do that particular effect although with a little bit of thought you could come up with something very similar. There's many ways to switch out a card in a spread for one you have in a palm.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

-PTG

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I think Matt nailed it. WIth his finger.

No, but really, I think Thom Peterson's Psycho is exactly what you're looking for :)

Gustav

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results